+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sit inside vs sit on top kayak or canoe?  (Read 2143 times)

claudia

Sit inside vs sit on top kayak or canoe?
« on: May 13, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
Just wondering - I'm tall and am thinking of getting a canoe or kayak when I am more "agile" (only 7 weeks out)...My muscles are mush because I was in such pain for 2 years and unable to do anything before having my hip surgery.  We have a place near a beautiful river, calm no rapids, narrow with lots of vegetation.  I've always canoed most of my life but most people seem to kayak the river.  I'm thinking a sit on top kayak as I don't know if I could maneuver myself in and out of an enclosed cockpit.  Any opinions?
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

LMS

Re: Sit inside vs sit on top kayak or canoe?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
Not sure... I'd think a top one would be better until you're able to get in & out of one that you sit in.

I used to kayak a bit & as my hip worsened, getting in & out of my kayak was getting more difficult.  I preferred the tandem because the opening was so big.  I'm almost 2 years post op hopefully this summer I can start kayaking again. 

John C

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:40 PM »
Most of my kayak experience has been in the surf, but I did do some canoeing decades ago in conditions like you describe and found it very pleasant. My take is that enclosed cockpits are beneficial in very rough water like surf or rapids where you you want a low center of gravity for stability and manueverability, you do not want the boat to take on water like a canoe would, and where you may get flipped and need to be able to eskimo roll back upright. For the calm conditions you describe, I do not see an enclosed kayak as being of much benefit, as well as being a pain to get in and out of. Also being able to do a competent eskimo roll is pretty much a prerequisite to spending any time in an enclosed cockpit. As far as canoe's versus sit-on-top kayaks, my feeling is that a double bladed kayak paddle is more than twice as efficient as a canoe paddle, so if the pace you paddle at is at all important, my experience is that canoes are the slowest. Kayaks come in quite a range from big heavy plastic beasts that weigh a ton and are not very hydrodynamic, to lightweight fiberglass kayaks that are sleek and very efficient through the water, but usually quite a bit more fragile. I think that the latter would be the best if part of your goal is to get exercise and to get a good workout. Once your hip is up for it, the other option to consider would be a stand up paddle board. The huge advantage of this is the balance and leg activation which makes for a much better whole body workout than sitting down. I do a lot of stand up paddling in rough ocean conditions, and am really looking forward to getting back into that as part of rehabbing my new hip after a number of months.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

John C

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:14:36 PM »
Claudia, I just remembered that you are also a Dr Gross patient. I should mention that he does not approve stand up paddling until six months. I would guess that would be doubly true for a beginner.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

moe

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:48:14 AM »
Claudia, i have been kayaking 10 years, sit inside type. I would suggest that you take a lesson or two and try both types to see what you are comfortable with when you are fully recovered. The sit inside types for the most part will have better performance if that means anything to you. Getting in and out of a sit inside type is easy when you learn the correct technique.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Quig

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:48 PM »
Go Claudia! It's great to see you feeling well enough to start thinking in this direction. Imagine where you'll be in a few months...  ;)

John C, you seem to have a seriously awesome knowledge of all things fun and outdoors. Nice work sir! And, great advice.

Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz