+-

Author Topic: Experience with Dr Michael Jacobs or Dr C. Andy Engh Jr???  (Read 1061 times)

sstb

Experience with Dr Michael Jacobs or Dr C. Andy Engh Jr???
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:16 AM »
Hi, I'm an athletic 41 year old male with FAI and osteoarthritis in my right hip. I live in the Washington DC area and am considering seeing Dr Jacobs and/or Dr Engh to see if I'm a candidate for resurfacing. I'd appreciate any experiences or comments on either physician if available. Thanks for the information!

sstb

Justa Bill

Re: Experience with Dr Michael Jacobs or Dr C. Andy Engh Jr???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 11:53:19 PM »
I'd like to revive this thread as I have an appointment with Dr. Jacobs and also would like more information.
I also talked to Dr Engh's secretary and he has only done a couple hundred BHR's.  While Dr Jacobs has more than 500.. But there is also another doctor in the area, Dr. Boucher who has 500+ procedures.
SO, does anyone know anything about these two doctors? What criteria should I use to decide when they both (Jacobs and Boucher) have similar numbers?

Thanks.

Rn2md

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:28:24 AM »
I donít know anything about those two surgeons to offer any specific insights about them in particular.
However, it might be helpful to compare both surgeonís rates of common complications (IE femoral neck fracture, infection, transfusion, rates of revision, etc.) to those of the highest volume resurfacing surgeons, often available on their websites. Gross also publishes his in peer reviewed journals as well.
Also see which one inspires your confidence when you see them. Read their protocols for pre and post op, as there may be important differences. Read relevant journal articles on resurfacing, if theyíve published on it. That would also suggest their commitment to the procedure and give insights into their approach.
Hope that helps

Rn2md

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:44:01 AM »
One other thing I found very helpful in comparing surgeons was to watch their past interviews or presentations. You tube was actually a helpful source of this material. I found these to be educational and also gave me insights about various surgeons philosophies and personalities, to an extent. It helped me narrow things down.

Justa Bill

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
Thank you!

Saddlepal3

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Consider traveling for this surgery: New York, S Carolina, Cleveland, Seattle.  It adds a layer of complexity, but you would have the chance to work with some of the most experienced resurfacing surgeons in the USA. These docs can advise how they work with out of town patients. They all do it. The comparison between a doc who has done 5000 procedures vs. 500 is compelling, especially if there are unforeseen complications. Good luck!

Saf57

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »
He previously stated that he cannot travel.

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements