+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Almost 14 months since surgery and running well!  (Read 2508 times)

Paprika

Almost 14 months since surgery and running well!
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »
I've posted a couple of times about my return to running following left hip resurfacing by Dr. Pritchett in April 2017.  Now, I am happy to report that I've settled into a nice routine of training and racing.  Since March, I've run in four 5K's, one 8K and one 10K.  In May, I logged a total of 80 miles and ran my farthest distance - 8 miles.  It's so nice to be back doing the sport that I love! I'm looking forward to an active racing season this summer and the Army 10-miler in the fall!

petemeads

Re: Almost 14 months since surgery and running well!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:33:51 PM »
Hi Paprika, great to hear you are doing so well - how are the 5k times going?

I had a good spell before Christmas after a chiropractor sorted my lower back out, managed get get down to 24 mins on a (suspect slightly short) 5k then went and overdid things. Now almost back to normal, racing 5k every Saturday (24:07 last w/end) but still not really doing running training, preferring to bike. My 10k in May was awful (55 mins) but it was hot & sunny for once and most runners struggled a bit...

Looking forward to doing a decent 10k later in the year, and maybe a ten miler or half marathon if all goes well!

Good luck in your racing season,

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Paprika

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »
Pete Meads, my best 5K time so far has been 24:23.  Like you, I want to speed up and go sub-24!  My 8K was at 40:46 and my 10K (run on a very hot and humid morning) was 53:36.  We will get faster - just need to keep at it!

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:11 AM »
Paprika and Pete, That's Great!  I too have been ramping up my running.  Resurfaced by Dr. Pritchett August 2017 . since then I have run 5 10k's Our running club has a 10k series that my wife and I participate in. I have noticed that I have pretty much steadily improved my time by a consistent 2 minutes each race, they are all chipped timed. it's getting easier and I hurt less after each one. it's Kind of weird,  but all of a sudden lately,  I discovered  I can run as much as I like and it doesn't hurt, at all. I limped around for a day after running a 1/2 marathon a month ago.  This morning I ran 13.5 miles and I feel no ill effects in my BHR leg. I feel a bit tired and just a little sore everywhere else (good), which is normal for me after that distance as I haven't run a Full M since before surgery. My 10k times haven't crossed over with what i could do a couple years before surgery...but they are getting there
I am currently running 120 miles/month   (Marathon runner in recovery)     

Paprika

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Dear Runner,  Shaving 2 minutes off each 10K time is awesome!  I haven't progressed that quickly but am getting faster too - although not as fast as I was during my banner 2016 pre-surgical year.  I'm curious how old you are and whether you are currently doing any exercises to your glutes, etc.  I am 62.  I'm still doing the targeted ones that I learned during the later stages of PT and they help me avoid pain after longer runs.

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:35 AM »
I am 63   Started running distance 7 years ago , began with 10k's then 1/2 marathons and then marathons. 24 marathons to date,  ran Boston 3 times, Looking to do a 4th

Did PT until insurance ran out  (only a few sessions) then switched to Yoga. I have a very good instructor that designs stretches specifically for my hip , Glutes and hamstrings . It's really helped my return to running.

I ran the Eugene 1/2M on April 28th finished just under 2hrs. My glutes really cramped up after I crossed the finish line. Message helped. But the best was the Yoga 3 days after, it stretched everything back out.

Hope to be up to marathon distance by fall and make a try at qualifying for Boston ...it's not easy, and will probably take me a few tries to get the time.   but my dream is to run it one more time       
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:59:12 AM by runner »

Paprika

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 08:12:31 AM »
Hats off to you!  My first half marathon was in May 2013.  I then ran the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2013 and qualified for Boston, which I ran in April 2015 (in the rain  :-\ ).  NYC Marathon in November 2016.  Ran/walked Toyko Marathon in February 2017 - less than 2 months before my surgery.  The yoga sounds very beneficial. 

Ernie

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 12:25:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing your success at returning to running.  This thread encourages me to work at increasing my running mileage.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 01:15:47 AM »
Paprika,

Your are quite the runner! It sounds like your surgery was about 4 months ahead of mine. I Always wondered why Dr.  Pritchett seemed rather unimpressed and unconcerned about my running.
On my first consultation visit,  I casually mentioned that in the prior 3 months, I had completed Boston, Eugene and Seattle RR marathons, he didn't even flinch and acted rather  nonchalant about the whole thing. You probably helped conditioned him so he thinks we are normal patients

Boston 2015 ..the rain ... I was there! my start: wave 3 coral 2. I live in McMinnville Oregon so very accustomed  running in the rain. Distance Runners from the Pacific northwest Have Saying ...if it ain't rainin you ain't trainin ! 

Running another 1/2 on the 4th of July ..mostly just trying to get my pace back and some training distance. I signed up for Tunnel Light Marathon on Snoqualmie Pass in mid September.

Yes Yoga is a big help, but I think it's more about the instructor that tunes it for my needs...Privet session, with some other runners....it's more of a PT session for distance runners   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
runner, Paprika and Pete

Sounds like you are all doing great.  Thank You so much for posting so others can learn what is possible after hip resurfacing.

I wish you all the best and look forward to your future posts.

Have fun with those new hips.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 04:09:51 AM »
Thanks Pat,

When I land that BQ (Boston Qualifier) .... this will be one happy hippy

petemeads

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »
Hi Paprika,

Just hit 14 months myself - and things are getting better quite quickly. Yesterday did a proper 5k (albeit flat as a pancake) in 23:59 and today a 5 mile charity run, in sweltering heat, in 40:04 chip time - and took the V65 award by one second with a heroic sprint finish! Really chuffed (english) or pumped (US) and feeling like a real runner again.

How is it with you?

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

surratt

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 12:48:48 AM »
how long was it before you could run....at 6 months i can run stairs but after 1/4 mile i feel a pain in my right hip so i need some more time before i can jog
Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Gross
12/13/17
12/15/17

petemeads

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 02:30:42 AM »
Hi surratt - love the video! My BHR was November 2014, I ran up to a month before the op. but was getting slower and slower. I first ran 5k at 8 weeks, six minutes adrift of this slow pace, using a trekking pole for occasional support, but by 3 months I was matching my worst pre-op time. After that I was getting faster by a minute every two weeks and reached reasonable racing pace around 9 months. At 15 months I was back to normal.
My THR is from May 2017, I ran at 6 weeks because there was no femoral head to worry about any more and got relatively quick much quicker - but probably overdid things a bit because thigh pain became an issue. Almost completely sorted now, able to do 25 mile days in the hills, bike 70 miles, run up to 6 miles or so and race 5k again.
Take your time, you have a lot in front of you - I'm 67 so things need to be done soon!

Pete

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:34 AM »
Ran the Independence Day 1/2 marathon ... this was my 2nd half since surgery ..doing a little better
since the Eugene 1/2 marathon in April, my time was 1:52....I shaved about 7 minutes off my Eugene time.  Slowly improving ... I mentally reset all my PR's  to the new Hip and it's kinda fun, Just about every time I run..... I set a new PR yes! ....it's like being young again!  as before the new hip,  the older I got, the faster I used to be and the farther away those old PR's got... rather depressing. But now I have a new exciting running life.

grants

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
Great thread and inspiring!

Question to runner and Paprika, given you went with Dr. Pritchett (as i will be at the end of August) did you consider doing the cross-poly (Synovo) option vs BHR?

Its my first option but obviously the BHR in a great option too and I am open to both.  I am not a racer but loved long distance trail running (among a lot of other impact sports) and hope to again.  Undoubtedly, like you, i will be pushing myself and the device pretty hard.  Just wondering if it was part of what you evaluated?  You both seem to be doing great so would love to get your perspective.

Cheers,
Grant
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

Paprika

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 06:33:56 AM »
For me, cross poly was the only option. I believe BHR is no longer available in US in 42mm.  Good luck with your surgery.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat