+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Graham's Hip Resurfacing with Mr. Nolan 2018  (Read 3423 times)

lazylad64

• BHR Left Hip 26th June 2018 - Dr Nolan
Graham's Hip Resurfacing with Mr. Nolan 2018
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
I suppose this is a blog/history up to this point.
I have always loved sport. Through the majority of my 53 years on this planet, I've played football, cricket, hockey, golf, squash, tennis & cycled. You name it I'd give it a try, well apart from swimming as I've got the ability to float like a house brick!
Just after my 50th birthday I fractured my wrist whilst playing football. My consultant informed that I couldn't play again for at least 3 months. What to do now to keep fit in the meantime? I thought I'd go for long walks but on my first attempt after about 5 minutes I got bored, so jogged a little & then walked again. I was an ok sprinter in my youth but anything over 200 metres wasn't for me. Too much like hard work I thought. My excursions out walking, developed into longer periods of running, until I could run 5k, albeit not very quickly.
How have I done that? I hate running? But only now I didn't! I was addicted, got the bug, hook, line & sinker. I kept training trying to run faster or longer. I got a buzz from my slow improvement. I was now a runner! I steered clear of races, scared of embarrassing myself, always been a bit self conscious. Then an illness in the family changed my mind. One of my close relatives was diagnosed with Myeloma. I decided to raise money for their charity and in October 2015 ran my first 5k race at the Bournemouth Running Festival (UK). I absolutely loved every second. The support from the crowd & encouragement from other runners was amazing.
I was now obsessed, scouring the internet to find other races to run. I found myself running regular 10k races, it was an achievement just for me to finish but I noticed my times were slowly improving. I decided to push myself and entered the Norwich Half Marathon in April 2017 running for MacMillan Cancer.
During my training its then I noticed I had a problem. I'd got to about 7-8 miles in my build up when I started getting pain in my left buttock. I recall one cold winter night having to hobble 2-3 miles back home as I couldn't run. At the same time, I and others noticed I was limping when I walked. I went to see a physio and they thought it was piriformis syndrome. From this time I was having regular treatment to stretch the muscle & spent many an hour rocking backwards & forwards on an tennis ball. The pain didn't improve but I could still run but I noticed my limp was getting worse. I even had some acupuncture session which seemed to help. I managed to complete the half marathon in a very slow and painful time. I decided to see my GP as I'd now had this pain for 6 months plus, with no sign of improvement. I was duly sent off for an x-ray. At the start of May 2017 I got the news I had advanced OA in my left hip & the right was quite worn as well. I was devastated, quite selfishly really, as in the great scheme of life it is insignificant. I carried on running, though I was conscious I was eroding my hip even more. Naproxen followed with limited success. Getting in & out of my car I looked like an inactive 90 year old, only improving to an inactive 85 year old when walking.
I got referred to my local hospital who offered me a hip replacement which meant no more running for me. I'd heard about BHR and managed to get a second opinion with a Mr Nolan in Norwich in October 2017. He said I was a good candidate for the procedure, relatively young & fit, so I went on the waiting list. He was amazed I was still running with condition my hip was in. He was right, after seeing him, I only ran once more, an interval session that nearly killed me. I hung up my running shoes, hopefully temporarily. So whilst being on the waiting list I've turned my attention to my exercise & road bike. I've grown to love them, though they are a running substitute. I've been working hard on my core strength in the hope it will help in my recovery.
I now sit here five days before my procedure. I am going to exercise right up until the day. In fact I've managed to squeeze in a 25 mile cycle event two days before the op  ;)
I know the recovery will be difficult and frustrating because I know I'll want to do more than my body will allow me.
I'll try and keep you updated with my progress. I would like to end by wishing everyone on here good luck and best wishes on their individual journeys. Much love Graham
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:15:54 AM by Pat Walter »

Quig

Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Nolan 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:55:52 PM »
Welcome Graham!

That's a heck of a story and to many of us it is oh so familiar.

Rest assured, there is quite a life waiting for you post BHR. And, in my opinion, you going into surgery very fit is going to pay HUGE dividends during your recovery. You're in for a wild ride... it's no walk in the park but you are going to be so happy with your new hip, or is it hips? Don't hesitate to stop by and tell us how it's going or ask any questions.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:24:08 PM by Pat Walter »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

lazylad64

Re: BHR D-Day Is Nearly Here
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 04:13:58 AM »
Here I lay in hospital with my left hip resurfaced. Had a spinal and heavy sedation which I would highly recommend. Don't remember anything after going into the anesthetis room. Wound is a bit sore but everything seems to be 'a ok', then again I haven't got out of bed yet 😂 Not sure if I'll be doing a 10k at the weekend 😉 I'm glad I kept fit right up to the op. I did the Diss Cyclathon 25 miles on Sunday and core strengthening Monday. Will let you all know when the nurses get me on my feet. Take care 

Quig

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
Congratulations! Now it's time to relax, listen to the doctors and start the healing process. Remember, this one is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck! You're going to do great.

lazylad64

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:28:07 AM »
Thank you very much. Here's my progress since:

Day 2
Did three laps of the Ward on my crutches. Felt good to be moving again. Still no pain from the hip. Leg is swollen and the wound is uncomfortable but no way is it unbearable.
Day 3
Slept like a log last night. Felt like a Zombie and struggled to come round this morning. After breakfast the physios got me to negotiate stairs. After feeling a bit light headed initially I surprisingly found it quite easy, he says as he falls head first down the stairs! I celebrated by doing laps of the Ward again for 10 minutes, generating a pace of 18:32 minutes per mile and free styling on one crutch. Medical staff are pleased with my progress, though I do feel knackered.

Quig

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
You fell on the stairs!? Be really careful early on, the light-headedness can be a bit dangerous.

Get used to the fatigue, it's here to stay for a while. It WILL improve steadily but your body is just going to be easily exhausted for quite some time.

Keep up the good work!

lazylad64

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
No fortunately I didn't fall down the stairs. :)
Day 3 Contd

Did another 10 minute walk and was then discharged from hospital. The journey home was eventful as I was violently sick twice, probably down to motion sickness and emptying the contents of the drugs cabinet at the hospital  Was good to get home, had a shower, did my PT, feasted on bread & butter, then bed.

Day 4
Slept reasonably well. Then had to endure getting my bowels working again. All I can say was that was like being between a rock and a hard place! Done my PT but have been feeling very tired and wound is sore, saying that though no hip pain at all
Managed to go on my first outside walk. Did just over one mile with both crutches. No hip pain, just operative
Day 5
Again managed to get outside for a walk for 30 minutes. Combination of one & two crutches and short periods of unaided walking. I'm pleased with my progress. The down side is the swelling of my operative leg and an increase in pain.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:38:49 PM by lazylad64 »

brianflanagan

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
Hi,

Nice to read your story :-)
Will look at how you recover.

If I may, don't you push it too much and too early ?!
I am not sure that this is good on a long term to push your body too soon.
FYI, I've read in this forum almost everywhere to wait for 3 months before doing some sports.

Take care and good luck !
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

lazylad64

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
Hi Brian,
Thank you for taking an interest in my recovery and the advice. You are so right about not pushing the body too hard in the early stages. I'm trying to listen to my body but it's a really difficult one to call. Do to little and the recovery takes longer, do to much and the body suffers. What I'm doing is one slow walk a day to try and build up the leg muscles and the Physio exercises I was given. I was only given three to do and find them reasonably easy with little pain.
I just want to get the balance right. I miss my running & cycling but I know they've got to wait.
What have been your experiences?
Take care
Graham

lazylad64

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Day 6
A reality check. Slept really badly last night so today I have felt exhausted, light headed, and emotionally quite down :'(  Feel grouchy and just want to sleep. May try a short walk later but 'may' is the operative word. Couldn't resist going for a 35 minute walk in the end. Glad I did as I felt both physically and mentally better for it.
Day 7
Insomnia  :(  Awake until 3am. As a result tired during the day. Leg feels comfortable apart from the wound. Though half of my butt now resembles Kim Kardashians  ;)  Left my walk to late evening. Really enjoyed it, was out for about 40 minutes. Lovely breeze and hoping for a goodnights sleep.

Quig

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:57:34 PM »
Don't let your spirit get down Graham, it's a real roller coaster at first. Lots of ups and downs both physically and emotionally. Hang in there, it WILL get better. And, early on the sleeping IS really tough. All will improve.

brianflanagan

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
Hi Graham,

Happy to interact here.
As per my experience, I'm also writing my story with feedbacks regarding the timeline. You can see on the same section if you want , here :
https://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,6237.0.html

Honestly, I think you should be way more patient and give more time for your body to heal and recover.
I followed some good advices from guys from here and stay calm for a longer period than you.
Your bones need to heal and you need time and rest. I am not sure that walking too long so early is helpful on a long term.
After the surgery, my surgeon told me that I could walk as soon as I want but to be reasonable.

I am Taekwondo black belt, was going to the gym very often, quite young and in good shape, but I was told to be patient and not push too hard by the persons from the forum.
I can see that when I push too hard my body will remind it to me during 2 days. But the plan is that in 6 to 9 months after the surgery I will go back to martial arts.
FYI, for this, I've been advised to wait for 9 months here.

I know you just walk and want to do more and more things, but I would encourage you to be more patient and wait a little bit more. Your body needs to heal properly.
Maybe I'm wrong ;-)
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

lazylad64

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
Thanks Brian & Quig. I really do appreciate your advice & support. I honestly don't feel like I'm pushing myself at all. I'm trying to do what feels natural. I've got no goals other than steady progress. I suppose it's difficult to gauge as I'm getting very little pain. Pain would be my controller.
Don't get me wrong, in between walks I'm taking it very, very easy. I just want to get the balance right. I know the things I love like running & road cycling are months away and even I have doubts about running in the future. As you will see from my diary below I'm starting to think I'm a freak or very lucky. I hope it doesn't come back to bite my huge arse
Take care & stay in touch.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:16:00 AM by lazylad64 »

lazylad64

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »

Day 8
I just want to sleep at night! Grrr! Another bad night. Don't think it's pain related? Maybe it's the drugs? Frustrating all the same. Was taken food shopping by my mum and my ex mother in law who are both in their late 70's. Surely I should be looking after them? 😉 Bless em. Though I feel tired I can't sleep during the day either 😕
Done my PT like a good little boy. No walk today due to the England football team putting me through the emotional wringer 😁
Day 9
Still sleepless in Seattle 🙄 Went for a 30 minute walk this morning. Took one crutch but it actually felt more comfortable when I did short periods unaided.
I know I'm not a super fit, super human but I went for a 2 mile walk this evening including periods unaided. It felt comfortable and I could have done more. I'm now scared that I'm doing to much just a week after the op but my body seems to coping with it well. Suppose just be sensible and level headed. My leg will now probably fall off tomorrow 😂😉
Day 10
Freak of nature? Decided not to take any drugs last night and had a better nights sleep. I went for a 35 minute walk, mostly unaided as it felt natural and pain free. I can also negotiate stairs up & down without assistance. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd recover so quickly. I'm starting to wonder if I'm a freak or just very lucky? Is there going to be a sudden decline? I'll just have to wait and see 🤔🙏🏻
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:25:24 PM by Pat Walter »

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
One thing you want to be aware of is to emphasize proper gait while you recuperate.

Especially when we start with good success, if your progress in moving without support comes with a compromised gait as you walk, you could create problems for down the line.

Make sure your entire leg / hip / back is walking in a way to give you as perfect a stride as possible. Form is important, and it will support you better further on down the road.

It's great you're having a good recovery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lazylad64

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
Many thanks Hernan. Excellent advice. I've been limping for so long I really need to concentrate on my gait.
I have been trying to lengthen my stride and use my crutch to square myself up by holding it across my shoulders.
Take care
Graham
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:25:10 PM by Pat Walter »

lazylad64

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »
Latest update
Day 10 (Contd)

Fairly quiet day after that. Managed to get an afternoon kip which I obviously needed. No more walking don't want to push my luck. The numbness/lack of sensation radiates from the inside of my left knee and about half one up the inside of the thigh. 
Day 11
Dozed until midday. Like others I think I'm allergic to the adhesive water proof dressing (Op Site)as it itches like hell. Roll on Monday when it comes off. Went for a relaxing 45 minute walk in the sun. No pain from my new hip but slight twinge from the right hip. I know it's quite worn but hoping it's just a bit upset as I'm rebalancing myself. My leg resembles Josephs Amazing Techni Coloured Dream Coat with the different shades of bruising
Day 12
The waterproof dressing has given up the ghost and fallen off. It reveals the reason for a global shortage of staples because their all in my backside  35 at the last count. Went for a 5k walk. No ill affects after apart from I'm now getting blisters on the balls of my feet  And England are in the World Cup Semi Finals! ⚽️
Day 13
Another rubbish nights sleep  Absolutely knackered today. No energy and massive headache. The heat doesn't help either. A positive note, I haven't put on weight. Had a long afternoon nap and then went for a short walk. I'm now experiencing that slight popping sound in my hip?
Day 14
Had the staples out this morning. All I can say is 'aaaaaaaaaaaahrgh'. The heatwave in the U.K. meant the metal had softened up and was more difficult to cut. Also one of the staples had warped into my skin. The nurse told me I was definitely allergic to the water proof dressing (Op Site). Walked to and from the GP's. Long nap.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:24:57 PM by Pat Walter »

lazylad64

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Latest update

Day 15
Wide awake at 3:15am 🙄 Might see my GP to see if I get some drugs to help me sleep. Went for a 3 mile walk crutch free 😊 Felt strong, well apart from the blisters on my heels.
Did 15 minutes on my static bike with no resistance. Again pain free and no repercussions.
Day 16
Fairly uneventful day. Walked 5k unaided. Only pain was the blisters on my heels which bled more than my operation incision. Did 20 minutes on the static bike with no resistance. Spent 15 minutes do some hip strengthening and watched England crash out of the World Cup. That was the most pain I felt all day 😉
Day 16
Another rubbish nights sleep 😕 Started working from home a few hours a day. Nothing arduous just going through the copious amount of emails I've received since I've been off. Had a wound check at GP's. All a ok. Succumbed to getting some sleeping tablets. That was my walk for the day there & back.
Day 17
Boy does my wound itch, which supposedly is a good thing as it shows the skin is knitting together. Spent a bit too long at my desk working and as a result seized up. Shows I need to be thinking more about my posture and also getting up to move. Went for a 4 mile walk. All good apart from numerous blisters.
Day 18
Stooopid! Took the sleeping pill way to late last night. So I slept well but still felt drowsy at lunchtime 😕 Did a lot of hip strengthening exercises which I found on the net as the hospital only gave me two? For some reason I didn't go for a walk today and as a result stiffened up a bit 😕
Day 19
No sleeping pill means no sleep until at least 2am 😕 Nurse told me not to take one every night and practice sleep hygiene. My sleep is obviously not very hygienic 🙄 Walked 3 miles today. Grumpy leg muscles, maybe because I didn't walk yesterday. All dressings are now off.
Day 20
Sleeping pill popped so got 8 hours of hygiene. Scar is healing well. Still very red where the Op Site dressing was. Great to get some air to it though I do have to be careful not to flash the neighbours 😉 Did some walking hill reps. Strange thing was it felt easier going up than coming down?
Day 21
Three weeks since the operation. Very pleased with my progress. Only concern is my right hip which feels a bit painful. Have to ask the consultant at my 6 week check what state it's in. Though I've had a good recovery so far the thought of going through it all again doesn't make me smile like a Cheshire Cat 🐱 Went for a 2 mile walk and was beaten by not hip pain but a heel blister from hell. Decided to do 25 minutes on the static bike. No I'll effects from that
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:24:46 PM by Pat Walter »

lazylad64

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
Latest update

Day 22
Went without a sleeping pill. Result? Still awake at 2am. It was extremely hot last night which didn't help. Did lots of housework today with no pain. Capped the day off with a walk just short of 4 miles. Really did feel strong and concentrated on my gait, posture and landing of my feet. Also no pain from my natural hip.
Day 23
Sleeping pill meant I got off to sleep quickly. I must admit I don't enjoy the side effect of a metallic taste in my mouth the next morning. Went for a 50 minute walk again trying to watch my foot planting and gait. Scar is healing nicely.
Day 24
Now even with a sleeping pill, sleeping is still difficult 😕I think it's the humid nights. Did a 20 minute stretching session and a 5 mile walk. Pain free. Well I say 'pain free' but when I look over my right shoulder and behind me when crossing the road the new hip doesn't like it! Getting more sensation back in my knee.
Day 25
I'm fed up with this heatwave in the U.K. The nights are just way to hot to contemplate sleep, resulting in feeling tired during the day. Went for a 4 mile walk. Had to control myself from breaking into a little jog as I know that could have disastrous consequences. Did 20 minutes on the exercise bike at Low Resistance. Now got blisters on the bottom of my feet 😡 Went on a short one mile evening walk, it was like walking on hot coals!
Day 26
Have to check the state of my blisters before deciding to go out today. Done 15 minutes stretching. The hardest exercise was leg raising of my operative hip. Found it very difficult to lift and hold steady. Definitely a weakness there. Feel bad as I didn't fit in a walk today but the blisters won't allow it 😕
Day 27
This lack of sleep lark is literally getting tiresome. Still awake at 3am playing Book Worm 😕 it's just way to hot 🔥
Went for a 4 mile walk. Now my bottom of my heels are starting to blister, you really couldn't make it up. No problem with the after affects of the operation but getting held back by sore feet 😂
Day 28
4 weeks since the operation and I feel great apart from the fore mentioned blisters. Found an old fan in the garage so got a good nights sleep. Noticed the wound is bleeding a little in one small area. May need a stitch or two to close it up. Went for a 4 mile walk, late evening as it was a bit cooler.
Day 29
Sex? Well my girlfriend is very happy with my new hip 😉 Seriously we're not hanging from a chandelier yet but there has been no issues apart from minor discomfort from the wound site.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:24:34 PM by Pat Walter »

lazylad64

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »
Latest update. A long one so quite boring. Ups & downs but getting there.

Contd
Visit to the nurse. Wound doesn't need stitches as it's healed at the edges. She took a swab and gave me some antibiotic cream. She said it was healing well before giving my arse an admiring glance 😂
4 mile walk to celebrate 😉
Day 30
Thinking about buying a Resistance Band for the hip exercises. Wound is very sore after administering the antibiotic cream. Infected or not infected? Did a 4 mile walk which included some walking hill reps.
Day 31
I can't believe my new hip is a month old. My only compliant is the soreness of the wound but apart from that. I can now tie my laces on both trainers. I'm using Hoka trainers for walking which are very cushioned so kind to both my hips. Did a 4 mile walk. My walking mileage splits are nearly as good as my running ones were 😂 Plenty of hip stretching as well.
Day 32
Pulled a muscle slightly in my lower back. Not sure how. Had a good stretch and it only tweaks now and then. Must admit I'm getting a little bored going out for a walk even though I change my routes. I suppose needs must. Went for a 4 mile off road country walk. Very pleasant and relaxing.
Day 33
Lower back still a little stiff. The wound is still sore in one place but apart from that I'm not totally falling to pieces. Did 2 walks today, a total of 6 miles. Very windy today which helped create some resistance. Back to full time work at the office in just over a week. Looking forward to that like a hole in the head 🙄
Day 34
Phone call from the doctors. Swab taken has tested positive to an infection 😡 Had an appointment with the nurse. She said it was the serratia marceacens bacteria which she hadn't come across before. BTW the US used it on the American population in the 1950's as a biological warfare test. She says septrin will sort it out. Only one problem I'm allergic to it!  She phoned the microbiologist who prescribed ciprofloxin for a week. Bit of a set back but the wound had become very sore. Did a 4 mile walk and felt fairly down afterwards.
Day 35
Lots of thoughts (not good) spinning in my head. What if this infection/bacteria gets to the implant? Debriding? Antibiotic spacer? Full hip revision surgery? The internet is an amazing tool but also holds too many horror stories that could come true. Wound is still sore. Maybe not as red as yesterday. 4 mile walk no ill affects.
Day 36
Working from home again. It's definitely not good for me sitting in one position for to long. I must remember to take breaks from my desk when I'm back at the office. The wound looks a little less angry but still not certain I'm out of the woods yet. Now very bored with walking and stretching. Finding it a real drag. None the less went for a 4 miler today. Hopefully when I see the consultant next week he'll give me the go ahead to venture out on my road bike.
Day 37
More of the same. Wound still a bit sore and red. Working from home continues not to be good for me. Need my dining room table risk assessed 😉 Muscles are definitely tighter after sitting to long. Did 30 minutes on the static bike at Resistance 3 and then a 50 minute walk. Life seems a little repetitive at the moment 😞
Day 38
Another day at the office at home. Bad headache all day. Is it the antibiotics, the humidity or increased metal in my blood? Told you my thoughts run wild. 4 mile walk. Really pushed myself to be competitive and help my state of mind. Result? walking 5k PB 46:25 and actually walked the 4 miles in an hour. Made me feel a bit better.
Day 39
Change of tact. Decorating today. Only a small job but the hip was fine going up and down steps. Also crouching and a little kneeling caused no problems. Doubt I'll fit in a walk today. Put on two pounds 😕
Day 40
Awake at 3:30 am 😕
Day of good intentions to carry on with the decorating due to a blocked drain. The attempted to fix together a storage bench and failed. Hip feels good. Went for a brisk 5k walk. Finished the antibiotics today so fingers crossed.
Day 41
Sleeping pill worked last night. Problem was I was working from home today and still felt a bit groggy. Did a bit of decorating and then a walk with hill reps. No aches or pains at the mo. Back to the office tomorrow 😕
Day 42
Back to work. Lovely to see my colleagues again. The main problem was staying awake 😕 Tried to take regular breaks from my desk to stretch my legs but easier said than done. I felt spent when I got home but forced myself out for a slow 4 mile walk.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:21:32 PM by Pat Walter »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat