+-

Author Topic: H1 all ceramic 10 month postop update  (Read 1511 times)

fastboy64

H1 all ceramic 10 month postop update
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
Hi
Apologies for not updating for a while - absolutely NOT an indication of problems. On the contrary, I have been busy with rehab and training.
I am 10 months postop today. Surgery by Prof Cobb at Charing Cross hospital,  London. Device H1 all ceramic clinical trial - NHS.
Last Sunday I raced the Triathlon England National Aquathlon championship - 750m open water swim (non-wetsuit mass start), 5k run. I was towards the back of the field (it was fast and furious) but I finished it and loved it! Extremely pleased with 22:43 for 5k run after conservative Dr Su PT schedule, similar to couch to 5k.
I have an openwater 5k swim race on Saturday then rest before cranking up training to go sub 20 for 5k next year and be competitive for my age group at Aquathlon.
Oh and yes, as you will have gathered, the hip is perfect! No pain, no squeaking, no impingement, In fact it felt awesome pushing hard in racing flats!
fastboy64

blinky

Re: H1 all ceramic 10 month postop update
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:41:29 PM »
Wow! So glad to hear.

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »

:) 
Cool. Sounds new stuff....
Clinical full ceramic?
Could you tell us more?  Cheers K 8)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

fastboy64

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »
Check out the MSk lab webpage on Charing Cross hospital site (UK) - look for the H1 clinical trial

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »
Congratulations on your running.  Great that you are healing fast and you are getting active.

Thanks for the update.  I wish you the Best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

brianflanagan

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »
Check out the MSk lab webpage on Charing Cross hospital site (UK) - look for the H1 clinical trial

Hi would you have the link to share please ?
Is this like a resurfacing with 2 ceramic devices ?

Thanks a lot !
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

san33

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »
Hey fastboy64 - out of curiosity what size device were you? Guessing you were in stage 1 of the trials?

I saw Prof Cobb about it a few weeks back but sadly following my CT scan I was deemed too large (I'm 36mm I think) for the current range Embody are producing and will be at least 12 months before they're making anything my size so am staying in contact (I'm ex-Imperial) rather than going down the BHR route as I'm still pretty active within pain/mobility limitations. I even asked if I could pay personally or via my two lots of insurance for it to be made for me but no deal sadly!

For those interested: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/msk-lab/research/clinical-trials/h1-hip-resurfacing-arthroplasty/
https://www.techexplorist.com/new-hip-resurfacing-implant-causes-better-outcomes-patients/11487/
Google 'H1 hip resurfacing' will provide a few more hits.

I wouldn't get too excited yet as it's still in the second stage of trials as they aim to get a CE approval mark hopefully by this time next summer but it could be quite a way off. They're currently focusing on the smaller sizes (typically women's sizes) given the issues with the metal equivalents so it's quite limited following my conversations with the research associate running the scheme and Prof Cobb (one of two surgeons carrying out the ops). I must say Prof Cobb was lovely to meet as well.

It's quite remarkable to see the impact in person though and be shown a clip by Prof Cobb of someone running after the surgery. I'm hoping I'll be able to return to ice hockey via this one day.

I did also have a conversation recently with Prof Blom of Bristol University who had some interesting and well thought out views on H1 and resurfacing in general to counter some of the positive aspects - and it holds true that this is novel and fundamentally unproven and will be for a number of years. Personally though I'm excited by the prospect.

brianflanagan

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 06:19:12 AM »
Hi San33,

Thanks for sharing these 2 links about H1 Hip resurfacing.
That's very interesting !!! Looking forward to seeing the results, maybe in few years .
Furthermore, the devices look very nice :-)

In the second article, they mentioned hip reemerging. I could not find what this is . Is this hip replacement with metal on metal device ? same kind of device I have ?
Sorry, was wondering if this is another technique I am not aware of.

Thanks a lot
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

Recent Posts

Re: BHR recovery goal complete..... Ran Boston Marathon by runner
Yesterday at 06:21:18 AM

Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by runner
Yesterday at 06:05:51 AM

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by LarryBud
October 13, 2021, 09:49:28 AM

A Fantastic Surgery Experience by RollerHockeyDan
October 12, 2021, 12:52:58 PM

Advertisements