+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running At 6 Weeks!  (Read 1446 times)

lazylad64

• BHR Left Hip 26th June 2018 - Dr Nolan
Running At 6 Weeks!
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
Hi everyone. Just love reading about everyone's journeys, it really is inspiring.
I had BHR on 26/06/2018. I've had a speedy recovery so far and walk 4 miles a night.
Today I had my 6 six week check. The consultant said I could start gentle running & cycling. I was gobsmacked!
Has anyone else been given the 'green light' after this period of time?
To be honest it freaked me out a bit as I thought I wouldn't be able to run, if I was 'very lucky' after 3 months & just 'lucky' 6 months.
I'm going to be very cautious and start the cycling but maybe leaving the running for a little bit longer.
What are your experiences?
Take care everyone & keep on running  :)
Graham

Saf57

Re: Running At 6 Weeks!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
That's very early to be given the green light for running, I've actually never heard of that. More typical is 3 to 6 months to begin, some surgeons are more conservative, wanting patients to wait until one year. I waited for 6 months after my first resurfacing, about 3-4 months after my second. That being said, if you're already walking that many miles, perhaps your surgeon feels that you're ready for light impact/jogging.

ArthriticHip

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
Hi Lazy - I guess each surgeon has their own recovery time table. I had my left hip resurfaced back on 2/26/18 by Dr Books of the Cleveland Clinic. I couldn't be happier with my recovery to date. No pain. For the most part don't really think about my hip because it mostly feels like a normal hip. Dr Brooks has one of the most conservative recovery process I've seen. For the first 6 weeks I was on crutches with a 75% max weight baring rule. No exceptions. I was given very light stretching exercises that focused on flexibility, not strengthening. After my 6 week checkup I was released from crutches and returned to normal everyday living, however, for the next year I'm not permitted to do ANYTHING high impact. No running, jumping, etc. The remainder of the year Dr Brooks focuses on flexibility, not strength building. At my one year check up if all looks good, I'm then released back to full activity.

Good luck in your continued recovery.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:58:20 AM »
Hi lazylad, my BHR dates from 18 Nov 2014, jogged a 5k parkrun at 8 weeks and was within 10 seconds of my pre-op 'personal worst' 3 weeks later, pretty much with my surgeon's approval.

My THR, from 02 May 17, did not get such cosseting - first parkrun was just before my 6 week check. The same surgeon, who had said that I could carry on doing the things I do (running, biking, rock climbing and mountaineering) with a ceramic THR with no worries. He smiled at the 6 week check when I admitted what I had done..

In my defence, I do have a very economical 'bounce free' running style that Garmin says is in the lowest 5% of runners so this limits the shock loading on my hips. Still not quite back to pre-op pace at 15 months but will be having another go in about an hour!

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

John C

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
I would offer Dr Gross's view of running this early, just as another viewpoint. As I understand it, the femoral neck goes through a remodeling process after the surgery, first breaking down the bone along the old stress lines and then building new bone along the new stress lines. Some people feel that the bone is at its weakest at around three months, when it is still building new bone. For that reason, Dr Gross is adamant about no impact for six months, and that has solved any femoral neck fractures for him. When the bone is weak, it is not just a total fracture that you are concerned with, but tiny micro-fractures. My bone density tests were off the chart for my age group, but Dr Gross would not budge on the six month rule.
Personally, I think your plan of adding the cycling and leaving the running til a bit later makes a lot of sense.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat