+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running Fast Again?  (Read 1575 times)

Rhetman

Running Fast Again?
« on: August 14, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here and just had my hips done over the last few months. I notice that many of you have returned to running, which is great news, but I'm wondering specifically about sprinting or running very fast as it can have tremendous forces on the joints.

Previously I was a very competitive middle distance runner and I also occasionally participated in shorter races at track meets. As part of training, I occasionally run very fast sprint workouts. Are there any elite runners on here or other runners who do intense speed efforts?

Truth be told, if I could never run fast again I would still be happy just to be able to run. But deep inside I still want to win a few more races.

Thanks for all the support, this is an amazing group.
Avid Runner
Left Hip - April 2018
Right Hip - July, 2018
Dr. Pritchett

ArthriticHip

Re: Running Fast Again?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
Hi Rhetman - Sounds like you're recovery to this point is going well if you're thinking about sprinting! I had my left hip resurfaced with Dr Peter Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic 6 months ago today. I'm absolutely thrilled with my recovery to this point. I've gotten to the point where I really don't think about my hip anymore. Just feels like a normal hip. Dr Brooks has the most conservative recovery process of any of the surgeons of seen discussed on this forum. I was on a strict 75% weight baring rule for the first 6 weeks. At my 6 week checkup I was released from crutches, and back to everyday tasks however I am restricted from doing anything "high impact" for the balance of the year. No jumping, running, etc. My surgeon provides some pretty limited leg lift exercises that focus on stretching. I'm permitted to do light exercises such as swimming, exercises bike, etc., with very limited resistance. Pre-surgery I was very active, so now that my leg/hip pretty much feel "normal" it's getting harder and harder to stay away from high impact activities, but after all this effort I've gone through the last thing I'm going to do is ignore doctor's orders. My advice is to be patient, and follow your surgeon's recommendations to the last detail.

Good luck in your continued recovery.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

Rhetman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
Thanks ArthriticHip,
Let me clarify, I'm still barely in walking mode at this point (3 months post op on the first side, 3 weeks on the second). I'm only thinking about the future. I wasn't even planning on easy jogging until 6 months from now if everything goes well. I'm just trying to figure out if racing is something I should even consider down the line someday.
Avid Runner
Left Hip - April 2018
Right Hip - July, 2018
Dr. Pritchett

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
Hi Rhetman - have a look at the posts by Arrojo, who not only returned to sprinting but also long-jumping. I run with 2 fake hips but mainly steady 5ks 24-25 mins and longer jogs. Would like to get back to 400m intervals but I usually find a niggle or excuse to put it off for a while...
Cheers, Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Rhetman

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
Thanks Pete, I'm happy to find someone like Arrojo. I'll send him a message.
If you hear about other competitive runners, let me know.

Cheers
Avid Runner
Left Hip - April 2018
Right Hip - July, 2018
Dr. Pritchett

blinky

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 02:41:20 AM »
Paprika? She had some fast times and was just starting to come back when she shared them.

Best of luck to you. I knew pretty early on I'd be able to run again, I just felt so good. Running fast? That is still proving elusive! Some of the issue is the rest of my aging body---knees, back, etc.---some is my empty nest lifestyle---more travel and less time to train. I can run and run pretty far, just not very fast. I need to take the time to train for speed. Every time I start to focus on speed, something comes up and we take a trip. FWIW I start slowly and then am gradually able to speed up, like in the course of a 10k go from 12mm to 10mm. I can't start out at 10mm, but once I get there, I feel fine, no problem. If could just shorten the warm up period and push the end speed to be faster...

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
A friend, and fellow hippy, when asked how he was doing Ultra marathons, and faster than pre surgery, answered "the longer you take to get there the longer you can stay there"

Take your time before trying to add speed. I would suggest spending a couple of years adding (or re-adding) base strength with steady running before trying anything like middle distance racing or indeed sprints.

I am nearly 3 years post op now and racing 5 and 10k, mainly in Triathlons, and have yet to get my original speed back and beginning to suspect that I may not. There are a lot of variables. Age is one certainly and most definitely the individual. Speed work is definitely more impact bearing so I would park that thought for now.

I think others have had more success than me so its possible but approach with caution.

Paprika

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
Blinky, Thank you for the shout out!  I have done about a dozen races in the past few months and my times are a bit slower than pre-surgery but typically still fast enough to place 1st or 2nd among 60-69 y.o.  For instance, 24:05 for a 5K. I do track workouts once a week - 8x400s followed by 2x800s. It's fine to push it. No issues.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat