+-

Author Topic: Thinking here goes nothing could be the start of everything  (Read 1141 times)

grants

Thinking here goes nothing could be the start of everything
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
That subject line is a quote by Drew Wagner.  Who is he? I have no idea but I like the sentiment. :)

I am in for surgery next week and thought I would share my back story:

I am 52 and the issue with my left hip became a particular problem, likely as the result of a ski accident that I had, 4 years ago this past April.  I hit a big rock on Blackcomb with my left thigh and had a blunt force impact injury to my Vastus Lateralis muscle.  12 inch cut down to the bone in the centre impact area. There was repair work to a tendon and stitching the muscle back together internally as well.

I got back quickly into my routine after the accident, skiing, biking, long distance trail running – 2 to 3hr runs, Squash, Soccer etc…  My main sport, squash, was quite affected as I was playing at Division 1 level and competing at a national level in my age category.   Essentially, I went from recovery from the accident, to being able to move pretty good a year later and then it went on a steady decline in ability to quickly push off and flexibility. 

This past November, I decided something was likely not structurally right.  Got the x-rays and the MRI and the bad news.  I quit playing squash in December and haven’t run for over a year.  Since December, I have been able to play hockey and cycle and play some tennis where I don’t move much, almost exclusively just with a ball machine.  Cycling has unsurprisingly shown to be the least adversively affecting for my hip, whereas with hockey and stationary tennis I could get through it and hobble out the door afterwards.  A seemingly easy thing – walking – is not easy for me now, where I trail my family on any walk/hike, “hurry up dad!”.  How far I have fallen! :).

As I researched online my options, I was drawn to what I saw as like-minded, middle aged competitive sport “warriors” that I found on this site.  Many of your frustrations were mine, your desire to continue to have strong performance in your sport(s) of choice was mine as well.  Hip resurfacing seemed like the answer I was looking for. 

In British Columbia, the medical community has moved away from this operation that was popular here about 10 years ago.  Likely due to the troubles that some devices have had and as I have come to understand the experience needed to successfully perform the operation.  Only one surgeon in the province still does the operation to my knowledge, it’s not pushed as an option and understandably the volume is low.

It was exciting to see that one of the leading surgeons in the world for hip resurfacing is in our sister westcoast city of Seattle.  I have watched all of Dr. Pritchett’s videos on hip resurfacing and did stupid amounts of research, like I was trying for a mid-life medical degree.  I particularly enjoyed the logic and articulate discussion between Dr. Pritchett and Dr. Buechel about the benefits of hip resurfacing.

Which brings me to next week – my surgery with Dr. Pritchett on the 29th.

Nervous but excited to get it over with and on with the journey.  An interesting dichotomy going on in my mind.

The only thing I don’t know yet it whether I am going with the BHR or the cross-poly option that Dr. Pritchett does.  I am making that final choice when I see Dr. Pritchett in person 2 days before the surgery.  Currently, I am thinking to go cross-poly but I flip flop on it quite regularly.  Any opinions on that would be welcomed.

LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Thinking here goes nothing could be the start of everything
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
I wish you the very best.  I am sure your little voice inside will help you decide what device you want.  I would also listen to what Dr. Pritchett suggests.  He is very experienced and has seen many outcomes for both devices.  I am sure which ever you choose, you will have a great outcome.  There are many stories here about both devices.

Good Luck. I look forward to reading the rest of your story.  Would you please start your post op story in the hip stories section with the name of your surgeon in the title.  That makes it easy for new people to read stories and know what surgeon your used.

Again, Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

catfriend

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:31:37 AM »
I would go with his advice as to which device he believes is best for you. If you're a woman (you don't mention your gender) you will almost undoubtedly wind up with the Synovo Preserve.

I have had the Synovo nearly three years. It feels like a completely normal and natural hip that never had arthritis.

grants

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:23:31 AM »
Thank you Pat and Catfriend - good advice! 

One week today :).

Grant
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

PMac

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »
Good luck buddy, I was pretty much where you are three years ago and my life today is completely back to normal, running, walking very active on the whole but most importantly totally pain free! Mine was a BHR but that was the only option for me at the time.

That said I wouldn’t change it for the world and my range of movement is back to where it was 20 years ago!

I hope it all goes well, listen to the professionals and your body and don’t try to rush your recovery too much!
Age 46, LBHR 54mm head 13th Nov 2015 by Mr Stephen Eastaugh-Waring, Spire hospital, Bristol UK

grants

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
That's great to hear PMac!  Definitely the most sedentary I have ever been in my life at the moment.  Looking forward to breaking out of that but as you say, without rushing it.

jimbone

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
Grant-

Your research has and will have served you well.  Dr. Pritchett has performed hip resurfacing surgery on a lot of forum members here including myself and I have yet to hear a discouraging word.  My own surgery 7/16/2018 has resulted in an ongoing experience of relief from pain and a solid confidence I will return to full function with time and steady effort to heal.  I do not think I could have been under better care.

A lot of Dr. Pritchetts surgeries are practically outpatient.  I was in the OR at 10 AM and discharged from Swedish Orthopedic Institute at 6PM.  I woke up in recovery at noon, transferred into a room about 1, dutifully attended to by the nurse until PT got there around 2 PM, then OT around 4 PM, never forgotten or overlooked, had my discharge medications helpfully arranged by another hospital staffer for an outside pharmacy that needed clearance and brought down to my ride home by 6 that evening.  Don't know where your procedure will be done but if it's at Swedish you will be very well looked after by their staff who all know and have the greatest respect for Dr. Pritchett and the most reassuring presence for the patients.

I understand the doctor also works at a clinic on the east side so this may not be relevant to your situation and/or you may already know:  Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Campus has a small hospital based hotel with a small number of rooms for patients and family.  Very basic room, very accommodating costs. shuttle service provided to the Orthopedic Institute in the morning.  I found it very convenient to avoid a morning commute the day of surgery.  Your arrangements are likely already made but this might be an option for you if not.

An athletic back round and good physical condition going in to surgery makes recovery easier by a factor.  Be smart, careful and attentive to healing and you'll do well.  Best wishes.

grants

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 03:15:45 AM »
Thanks Jimbone, this is helpful and thank you for the best wishes!  I am at the secondary facility and have a hotel pretty close by.  Not looking forward to the drive home the next day but we'll see how i feel.

Grant

Vinny614

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »
Looking forward to my resurfacing August 28th with Mr Treacy.....

grants

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
All the best for your surgery Vinnie!

I made my choice today and am going with the cross-poly.  Met Dr. Pritchett and really enjoyed our conversation.  Very comfortable with my choice of surgeon and device.  And grateful Dr. Pritchett took me on as a patient and that he is so relatively close (for being in another county :)) to my hometown of Vancouver.

Surgery early wed.  Here we go!

Grant

Quig

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 03:17:07 AM »
Best of luck Grant! You're going to do great and be so happy with your new hip.
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

grants

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
Thanks Quig, I appreciate it!

karlos.bell

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 07:31:31 AM »
Cool I hope it goes well. Good luck
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

grants

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Thanks Karlos!  Went well, now recovering back in Vancouver.

Grant

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats