+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running......6 1/2 year later  (Read 1699 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Running......6 1/2 year later
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
Hi everyone.  Sorry I don't know all the new folks.  I've been out living life.

I'm a Gross Hippy (right).  Once cleared to start exercising, I was able to work my way back into all activity..........with the exception of running.  As I posted way back then, the issue was a deep soreness in my operated hip that would start around 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile into a run.  If I stopped running, it subsided.  I tried fancy shoes (Hoka One One) with a mid-sole landing, which did not help.  I did physical therapy until I could no longer afford to.  Didn't work.

I tried to slowly work back in by running a half mile for a week, then 3/4 for a week, then more for a week.  That seeemed to work, except that if I could not run for a week (while traveling, for example), I would be back to square one. So, I really haven't run since around 2014, when I resolved to not worry about it.  If figured that there was some small stabilizer muscles that just weren't doing their job, or scar tissue, or both.  Instead I mountain bike a bit, and also do HIIT training (Insanity and similar workouts). 

Two weeks ago or so, I decided to just give it a shot.  I ran just over 2 miles before any soreness.  I stopped the instant I felt it, walked to the high school (which was just 1/4 mile from where I stopped), and was able to run the bleachers about 15 times with no additional soreness.  Today, I ran 3.4 miles without pain!!

I have no idea why, now, I seem to be able to.  It could be that over these years, the stabilizer muscles have "woken up", or the scar tissue has become more pliable, or both.  Who knows, but I'm super excited to be able to run again!!

One caveat:  I'm not really "running", but slowly jogging.  Where I used to exercise at about an 8 minute mile pace, what I'm doing now is probably more like a 9 1/2 minute pace.  Maybe 10.  So, no records being set, but better than nothing.

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Paprika

Re: Running......6 1/2 year later
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
Good to hear that you are running again!  You may be shaving some time off that pace soon, but even if that's not the case, how wonderful to be back out there!  Happy trails!

ajw

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »
I'm a Gross Hippy, as well, left side in Sept 2015 and right side April 2018.  I am experiencing the same thing you describe which is a deep soreness on the right side, outside of the hip.  More of a big dull ache and not in the joint itself but rather in the muscle.  Any suggestions for resolving this issue?  I had no problems with recovery like this after my 2015 surgery.  Thanks!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »
Hey there.   Sorry I missed your response. I actually just had my other hip done on 10/28/2020. 

I had some success with running after I joined a boot-camp gym.  They did a LOT more lower-body exercises than I typically did....squats, jumps, wall-sits, etc.  After months of that, I was able to run farther, which I think is a testament to overall lower body strength.  I think that strengthening your lower body in a comprehensive way will go a long way to help with the running.

Just a theory, but it seems like it worked for me.  I'll know more in 6 months......

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat