+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ready but Nervous  (Read 1839 times)

HipToTry

Ready but Nervous
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
Hi all,
I am a 5'11" male...185lbs  almost 52 years old.  I had my right hip scoped back in 2008 to repair a torn labrum due to impingement.  Although I have a somewhat sedentary desk job, I consider myself fairly active and have competed in a number of triathlons including an ironman since that surgery.  I am now ready for a hip replacement...all the signs are there.  I would be 100% in for the resurfacing, but I am SO nervous about all of the talk and literature about metallosis from the ions being released.  I know the internet can put a big scare into anyone poking around for information, but the deeper I dig, the more nervous I get.  I recently was reading about the polyethelene coated socket that Dr Pritchett uses and it peaked my interest but it seems like that is only available for smaller sized implants.  I will be meeting with Dr. Scott Marwin in a couple weeks to discuss the procedure although I think he only uses the metal/metal BHR.  Any suggestions/advice?   Thanks very much
-Scott

grants

Re: Ready but Nervous
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:18:05 PM »
Hi Scott, this is particularly relevant I think as I am right now lying in bed recovering from a hip resurfacing using cross-poly with Dr. Pritchett, that happened this morning.  I think my size was 50mm.

I think Dr. Pritchett is an amazing surgeon, researcher and innovator.  Also a very nice and considerate person, who is very accessible through the whole process.

Please feel free to DM me if I can help in any way.

Grant
LHRS - Dr. Pritchett Aug 2018, bearing surface - cross-poly insert on ceramic coated titanium un-cemented femoral  component.

John C

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »
Hi HipToTry,
l think that by now most people are aware of the debates over the metal ion issue. My one piece of advice would be to try and gather some information to balance the argument. One good place to start is on Dr Gross's web site. There you will find a great deal of information, backed with hard data, to combat the mania over metal ions. Here is a link to an excellent video done by Dr Gross that highlights the metal ion issue. I am not in a position to say for anyone else which side of the debate is correct, but at least this will give you some balanced sources of information to help in your own decision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKPwzAFycI

There are also a number of links on Pat's web site to give you some balanced viewpoints.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Saf57

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
I would agree with John C. There has been much hysteria created over the metal ion issue, mostly by those who have an interest in disparaging resurfacing for their own reasons. Do your own research and speak to Dr. Marwin about it when you consult with him. I had my second resurfacing done by him, and you would be in excellent hands if you decided to proceed.

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
I don't know that the Synovo that Dr. Pritchett uses is only available in smaller sizes. Obviously he uses it in smaller men and women. If you're interested in it I suggest calling his office and/or emailing or otherwise asking.

Philbrd

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
hi John C,
i had a specific question for you and sent you a PM.  thanks in advance.

HipToTry

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »
thanks for this information
I'm scheduled to get surgery this friday

karlos.bell

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
Hi
Yep if the placement is perfect nothing to worry about. 53 this year about your height but not your fitness. I had a bilateral due to FAI and on crutches for 8 years. Resurfacing changed my life. Metal iron levels are non existent if not perfect. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat