+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Su--10 Weeks Post-Op  (Read 2509 times)

herrubermensch

Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Su--10 Weeks Post-Op
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
So I had a metal on metal hip resurfacing by Dr. Su 10 weeks ago.  52 years old, 5'11", 215 lbs., reasonably athletic (weighlifting and running 10ks).  I had a genetically mis-shaped femoral head that caused premature cartilage degradation in my right hip to the point that it was bone on bone for the past year or so.  I could not walk a NYC block without limping and becoming a bit depressed. 

I'm pleased to report the complete absence of my former pain and limp!  I would say at six weeks post-op I began to walk reasonably well without a cane, then at eight weeks out, I started doing goblet squats with dumbells up to 50 lbs., then at nine weeks out, I ran a  mile on a padded track, which I did again today.  Some soreness after the run, but nothing to complain about.  I still am not as smooth a runner as I was at one time, but I assume that will come with time.  Couldn't be happier with the result, which I assume will only continue to improve with time. 

--Peter

tohandley

Re: Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Su--10 Weeks Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
Congratulations on your success!

I am having my hip done by Dr. Boettner, also at HSS,  next week and this makes me feel encouraged.

Thanks for sharing,
Tim
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

herrubermensch

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
Thanks, Tim.  How did your surgery go?  I hope well. 

--Peter

tohandley

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:03:41 PM »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for asking.  I had the surgery on 10/10 and went back to work today.  Only for a few hours but it was good to get back. 

I’m still on crutches and a bit sore, particularly my right quad.   But based on the many stories Ive read like yours I realize I just have to be patient and not try to rush it. 
Looking forward to seeing how I feel after 6 weeks.   

I wish you continued success in your recovery!

Tim
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
Peter

Congratulations on your new hip.  Hopefully you will continue to heal and get back to your running.  It does take time to completely heal.

I wish you the best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

herrubermensch

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for asking.  I had the surgery on 10/10 and went back to work today.  Only for a few hours but it was good to get back. 

I’m still on crutches and a bit sore, particularly my right quad.   But based on the many stories Ive read like yours I realize I just have to be patient and not try to rush it. 
Looking forward to seeing how I feel after 6 weeks.   

I wish you continued success in your recovery!

Tim

Great to hear, Tim.  Yes, I was very, very anxious the first 2-3 weeks.  I was driving the PT people crazy!  But literally right at six weeks:  one day with a cane, hobbling around, the next day, voila, no cane and walking pretty well!  So hang in there and just do what they tell you.  Best of luck!

--Peter

herrubermensch

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 06:27:39 PM »
Peter

Congratulations on your new hip.  Hopefully you will continue to heal and get back to your running.  It does take time to completely heal.

I wish you the best.

Pat

Thanks, Pat, and thanks for the site, which has been extraordinarily helpful in reducing my anxiety over all of this!

--Peter

herrubermensch

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »
Just a quick update:  20 weeks post op now, and can run 2-3 miles without any pain or hip-related soreness.  Very slowly, mind you, and still not particularly smoothly, but I'm doing it.  The hip's durability seemed to increase dramatically during weeks 12-16, to the point where I stopped thinking and worrying about it constantly.  Really a major change during that period. 

--Peter 

Glenn Urban

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:14:45 AM »
This is a remarkable recovery time frame, at least in my mind. Congratulations on a stellar rehab and getting back to it.  From memory, Dr. Su is all for becoming active soon after surgery. No, he was not my surgeon. My recovery has been nowhere near what you are describing, but mostly due to other issues that do not involve the hips.

I have been absent from this board for awhile, and it was good to see your story.

Keep us posted on your progression.

herrubermensch

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
This is a remarkable recovery time frame, at least in my mind. Congratulations on a stellar rehab and getting back to it.  From memory, Dr. Su is all for becoming active soon after surgery. No, he was not my surgeon. My recovery has been nowhere near what you are describing, but mostly due to other issues that do not involve the hips.

I have been absent from this board for awhile, and it was good to see your story.

Keep us posted on your progression.

Thanks so much, Glenn!  Now at 7 months post-op, I am rarely explicitly conscious of my resurfaced hip.  I've progressed into moderately heavy lifts again--Smith Machine squats, bent over rows, and dead lifts, all at about the 250 lbs. level for 5-12 reps and five sets each.  No pain at all from the hip, but rather, just feels a little different than it used to, just as it does when I run.  My runs are still stuck at 2-3 miles and an easy 11-12 minute/mile pace, but I'm really not pushing myself yet.  Essentially, I'm not anywhere as smooth at anything as I used to be, but it doesn't matter--I'm grateful to be able to exercise at all!  I'm also encouraged by other posts on the board indicating continued healing and strengthening up to the 12-18 month period.  So perhaps the runs will become easier and faster over the next six months.  Finally, I'm expecting to get back to club racing my car this Spring.  Heel and toe downshifting had become an agonizingly painful experience for me before the surgery and really cut into the fun of racing.  Can't wait to get the fun back! 

--Peter

ahausheer

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 01:25:48 AM »
Does Dr. Su condone strength training, high load and relatively high impact activities so close to surgery?  My surgeon says no running or strength training for a year (for all his patients) and that the first year is to regain full range of motion only. I have also been advised to use crutches for a full 6 weeks. 

I am surprised at the variation in allowable activity level between surgeons. 

herrubermensch

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 09:58:32 PM »
Does Dr. Su condone strength training, high load and relatively high impact activities so close to surgery?  My surgeon says no running or strength training for a year (for all his patients) and that the first year is to regain full range of motion only. I have also been advised to use crutches for a full 6 weeks. 

I am surprised at the variation in allowable activity level between surgeons.

My only rule (at least, that I recall) from Dr. Su was no running until three months post-op.   I did a little jogging at the six week mark and could tell immediately it was not good and so stopped.  I'm not sure I appreciated how high impact an activity running really is until post-op.  I did start light running at the 10-week mark.  I was told that, generally speaking, I could listen to my body and progress back to my normal range of activities at the speed at which I felt comfortable.  That has been my guide:  No pushing, just do what feels good and right. 

--Peter

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal