+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of Town Patient Question  (Read 1228 times)

Saddlepal3

Out of Town Patient Question
« on: October 09, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
Greetings,
How important is it to see the surgeon in person for a 2 month follow up, as opposed to sending x rays?
I am a 6 hour flight away from my surgeon and I wouldn’t hesitate to travel if I had concerns, but if the follow up appt consists of xrays and a 10 minute “everything looks fine” session, I wonder about the necessity. My doctor told me I could send x rays if I “couldn’t” come back, but he said, “it’s always better to see you in person.” Anybody have thoughts/experience? Thanks in advance.

hernanu

Re: Out of Town Patient Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »
My take on it is that you should go in person. I think that if the doctor sees things like your scars, sees you walk, etc. that they and you can be more confident that things are going well.

After my procedures, I went to see the doctor at two months, then at six, at a year and then we went to multi - year visits.

In my case, it wasn't something that will be continuous, but if possible, I would take dealing with the surgeon personally to let them exercise their training fully, instead of just looking at pretty pictures. Just my 2 cents.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Joe_CA

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:48 PM »
Hi Saddlepal3,

I had bilateral resurfacing in South Carolina (I live in California) with Dr. Gross (5 hour flight) about 20 months ago. I never planned on going for the standard 6-week post surgery follow up appointment. It would have been nice to see him, but I wasn't having any complications, so I simply sent him the standard post-op x-ray images.

As I read you story, your revision surgery (and bone density situation?) is a little more complicated. You may want to consider going back, especially if you have any post-op issues (fingers crossed that you don't). Then again, if everything is going well, and I will assume Dr. Pritchett (and staff) is available to answer your questions, then it may not be necessary.

Good luck in your recovery.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
I think he wants to see you walk. Also, if memory serves me correctly, he moved my leg around to check for range of motion. And, as a previous poster mentioned, you had a complicated revision case so that might require a more careful follow up.

blinky

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:30:25 AM »
I went in person to those early milestone visits, but in retrospect it wasn't necessary. Others I knew did not go.

Okay, so I scheduled the face to face appointments just in case I had any concerns. Then when I didn't, they seemed unnecessary. If I had had questions or problems, I may well have felt differently.

We did arrange those visits around big vacations, which made them worthwhile. They felt like victory laps: see the doctor, take a trip.

Dr Gross
bilat
11-15

John C

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
I have done all of my follow ups for the past ten years by long distance, and it works fine. When I have had minor questions, my surgeon has always been great about calling me and having lengthy phone conversations. Unless I needed a physical exam to evaluate a problem, I personally would not travel.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM