+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should i be able to sit cross legged after resurfacing?  (Read 1829 times)

Slinkycarrot

Should i be able to sit cross legged after resurfacing?
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Hi, I had a double resurfacing two years ago.  I cannot sit cross legged.  I am having problems with tendonitis on one psoas and impingement on the other posas.  Not sure if it is the psoas problems causing difficulty or this is just something thats related to the resurfacing and a general thing you cant do?

Thanks

hernanu

Re: Should i be able to sit cross legged after resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
I can sit cross legged, took some very light yoga about a year and a half post second surgery.

Have you talked it over with the surgeon?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Slinkycarrot

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »
No not spoken to the surgeon - i assume he will say i should be able to.  How much stretching did it take?  Was it your hip flexors stopping you?

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »
No not spoken to the surgeon - i assume he will say i should be able to.  How much stretching did it take?  Was it your hip flexors stopping you?

I was very flexible before, I have 30+ years in martial arts, so I may have started at a more advanced point.

By two years, I could sit cross legged and had started doing yoga. As with everything else, moderation is the key, especially when we've been both "upgraded" with a prosthetic hip and we also have muscular issues (atrophied muscles, overdeveloped compensating muscles) to work out.

Crossing my hips was not a goal, but other things were. As with all goals, it takes time to get there. If you have tendinitis on one side and impingement, you have to take those into consideration when doing stuff that may involve those areas, like crossing the legs.

Now when you say crossing your legs, you don't mean lotus position, but something similar or is it just putting one leg on top of the other while sitting?

Slinkycarrot

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »
not full lotus, just half lotus.... like when you meditate??

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
not full lotus, just half lotus.... like when you meditate??

Ah - just trying to get an idea. Well, I can sit cross legged and was able to about a year / year and a half or so. I didn't have any extra pain from the PSOAS or other areas, just the usual scar tissue and muscles not used to working. So the stretching probably took about a year or so until I was able to sit the way I did before.

It sounds like the tightness from the PSOAS and all may be interfering with it. After talking to your surgeon, maybe a physical therapist would help with the initial stretching. I know I worked with one.

Slinkycarrot

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:35:04 PM »
Ok thanks I’ll talk to my Physio, it’s been lower on the priority list given other issues.

blinky

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:29:42 AM »
It took me a while to be able to sit cross-legged comfortably. I recall I could do it at six months, but just to say I did. A year ago I remember sitting on the floor in a hallway cross-legged, feeling quite proud of myself, but then feeling rather "sprung" when I got up after twenty minutes. It's not something I am working on, but it seems to be getting easier over time.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat