+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Year Anniversary  (Read 1328 times)

Tri Hard Alan

3 Year Anniversary
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »
Its been 3 years since my right side BHR with Dr Treacy. Everyday life continues to be totally uneffected and even a 19 mile hike along the Jurassic Coast in the summer didnt give even a twinge. This wouldnt have been possible before and sometimes I forget this with my obsession with running. Talking of which thats been mixed.....

Since my 2 year report I got my 5k time down to 19.44 in December and did my first post op Half Marathon in January. I was delighted with a 1.39 time (especially as it snowed for the entirity of the race) but it wasnt as pain free as I would have expected as training had gone very well. After that, early season, I did a few Duathlons and qualified for and took part in the World Duathlon Champs in Fyn, Denmark over the Standard distance 10k-40k-5k. I didnt perform very well and concentrated on good form rather than speed to protect the hip and was also struggling with Asthma thoughtout the summer (for the first time in 10 years!). My triathlon season was probably the poorest in a few years with a lot of breathing problems and even a couple of panics in the swim (very unsual for me after 10 years in the sport). By the time I got round to August things were improving but still not close to my usual standard so no memorable performances to speak of. My last race was a couple of weeks ago, another Standard distance Duathlon, this time in the pouring rain and wind and whilst still lacking a bit of run speed the hip was 100% pain free and I managed to qualify for next years World Duathlon Champs in April in Pontevedra, Spain. I am also hoping to get a rolldown for the World Triathlon Champs in Lussagne, Switzerland in September but the qualifiers for that were in the middle of my Asthma chris's and I am quite a way down the list. I am hoping a lot of people realise how expensive Switzerland is and withdraw!

Its probably a bit churlish to say I have had a terrible season when I qualified for 2 World Championships and took part in one, but, well, it has. But the big plus side is being back on track with the hip. The change I made to facilitate this? Running form. I have kept up the strength work but the biggest difference is the cliched advice of getting the hip over the landing point of the feet on the floor which I do by over exagerating what I think I need to do (in reallity it comes out like anybody else). I have also run more, with the extra milage being slow to not put too much a strain on the body (as a whole). Today, I did a 18.6K run to celebrate, absolutely pain free.

Before the years end I am hoping to get that 5k time back under 20 minutes (currently 20.33) and squeeze in another Half Marathon, hopefully quicker than the last one but more importantly pain free. On the back of that I hope to squeeze in a Half Ironman as some point next year.

Overall, I am very pleased and when I take a moment to reflect very grateful to still be able to do what I love.

tohandley

Re: 3 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:59 AM »
Great stuff here!
This is really inspiring for me as I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and hoping to be able to return to full activity. 

Congratulations on your times!

Tim
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

petemeads

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 04:23:25 AM »
Hi Alan, good to see you are persevering despite a few knock-backs, glad the hip has settled down again. I have had a slightly strange year as well but like you things are looking up again now - BHR has not been a problem but THR keeps grumbling!
Will do a full resumé in a couple of weeks (4th anniversary) but current target is sub-24 for 5k on a regular basis rather than one-off...

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »
Hi Tim,

Thank you and good luck with your recovery. I think other people here have done a better job of it probably by being more patient. Don't be in a rush, take your time, play the long game!

Hi Pete,

Great to hear from you and glad like me you are getting back on track. Good luck with that sub 24 min target :-)

Alan.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal