+-

Author Topic: 3 Year Anniversary  (Read 587 times)

Tri Hard Alan

3 Year Anniversary
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
Its been 3 years since my right side BHR with Dr Treacy. Everyday life continues to be totally uneffected and even a 19 mile hike along the Jurassic Coast in the summer didnt give even a twinge. This wouldnt have been possible before and sometimes I forget this with my obsession with running. Talking of which thats been mixed.....

Since my 2 year report I got my 5k time down to 19.44 in December and did my first post op Half Marathon in January. I was delighted with a 1.39 time (especially as it snowed for the entirity of the race) but it wasnt as pain free as I would have expected as training had gone very well. After that, early season, I did a few Duathlons and qualified for and took part in the World Duathlon Champs in Fyn, Denmark over the Standard distance 10k-40k-5k. I didnt perform very well and concentrated on good form rather than speed to protect the hip and was also struggling with Asthma thoughtout the summer (for the first time in 10 years!). My triathlon season was probably the poorest in a few years with a lot of breathing problems and even a couple of panics in the swim (very unsual for me after 10 years in the sport). By the time I got round to August things were improving but still not close to my usual standard so no memorable performances to speak of. My last race was a couple of weeks ago, another Standard distance Duathlon, this time in the pouring rain and wind and whilst still lacking a bit of run speed the hip was 100% pain free and I managed to qualify for next years World Duathlon Champs in April in Pontevedra, Spain. I am also hoping to get a rolldown for the World Triathlon Champs in Lussagne, Switzerland in September but the qualifiers for that were in the middle of my Asthma chris's and I am quite a way down the list. I am hoping a lot of people realise how expensive Switzerland is and withdraw!

Its probably a bit churlish to say I have had a terrible season when I qualified for 2 World Championships and took part in one, but, well, it has. But the big plus side is being back on track with the hip. The change I made to facilitate this? Running form. I have kept up the strength work but the biggest difference is the cliched advice of getting the hip over the landing point of the feet on the floor which I do by over exagerating what I think I need to do (in reallity it comes out like anybody else). I have also run more, with the extra milage being slow to not put too much a strain on the body (as a whole). Today, I did a 18.6K run to celebrate, absolutely pain free.

Before the years end I am hoping to get that 5k time back under 20 minutes (currently 20.33) and squeeze in another Half Marathon, hopefully quicker than the last one but more importantly pain free. On the back of that I hope to squeeze in a Half Ironman as some point next year.

Overall, I am very pleased and when I take a moment to reflect very grateful to still be able to do what I love.

tohandley

Re: 3 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:00:59 AM »
Great stuff here!
This is really inspiring for me as I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and hoping to be able to return to full activity. 

Congratulations on your times!

Tim
RBHR Dr. Boettner
Oct. 10, 2018

petemeads

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
Hi Alan, good to see you are persevering despite a few knock-backs, glad the hip has settled down again. I have had a slightly strange year as well but like you things are looking up again now - BHR has not been a problem but THR keeps grumbling!
Will do a full resumé in a couple of weeks (4th anniversary) but current target is sub-24 for 5k on a regular basis rather than one-off...

Pete
Age 68, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »
Hi Tim,

Thank you and good luck with your recovery. I think other people here have done a better job of it probably by being more patient. Don't be in a rush, take your time, play the long game!

Hi Pete,

Great to hear from you and glad like me you are getting back on track. Good luck with that sub 24 min target :-)

Alan.

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority 

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals. 

Complementarity 

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals. 

Privacy 

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. 
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post. 

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty. 

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible. 

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example. 

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements