+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Considering LBHR at age 43  (Read 1339 times)

hipster75

Considering LBHR at age 43
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »
Hi all,

Glad to have found this forum, I've had pain in my left hip since I was 19. Not exactly sure if anything specific happened, but I remember developing a limp and really struggling to play football. I had several X-rays done over the years, but nothing showed up (at least that's what I was told) and also had ultrasound scan. Over the years I had various GP-referred physio appointments throughout my 20s to no avail until eventually I was referred to the local Orthopaedic dept for a cortisone injection under x-ray, and it was during this procedure (~2002) that they decided I actually had Osteoarthritis. The consultant basically told me that there was nothing that could be done until at some point in my 40/50s my hip would eventually need a total hip replacement.

I used to play football 2-3 times a week and had to reduce and eventually stop altogether due to pain and lack of flexibility during playing and then hardly being able to walk for 2-3 days after! I also have significant lower back pain problems, which I guess is at least partly due to the left hip problem and changing how I sit and walk.

I've not been playing football or any sport at all for at least a couple of years, but it seems like my hip is getting worse over the last couple of months. More regular pain and pain when walking. Apart from joint pain I am, and have always been, in very good health.

So...

I've decided to find out if I will be a good candidate for BHR resurfacing, hopefully on the NHS and ideally with Mr McMinn. I've read that NICE have approved resurfacing as long as the failure rate is under a certain number and I've read that a couple of other people seem to have managed to get the BHR done by McMinn under the NHS.

Does anyone have any recent experience in getting BHR done by McMinn under NHS - I want to make sure I get the steps done right.

My NHS CCG is Leeds.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:58:43 AM by hipster75 »

MattJersey

Re: Considering LBHR at age 43
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
I thought McMinn was private but Treacy (co developer and well recognised as a top surgeon  for BHR) was or is NHS.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

hipster75

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »
I thought McMinn was private but Treacy (co developer and well recognised as a top surgeon  for BHR) was or is NHS.

Thanks Matt - I did read that someone had McMinn do it under NHS, but that might have been old info I guess.

gasyz

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
Yep Mr Treacy is still on the NHS.I had my right hip done by him and I'm on his list for my left one.
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

hipster75

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
Yep Mr Treacy is still on the NHS.I had my right hip done by him and I'm on his list for my left one.

Thanks for confirming. Can I ask what's the best way to get referred on NHS? and what's the waiting time like?

gasyz

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
I payed to see Mr Treacy in his private clinic to start with.I took my x rays with me to find out if I was suitable for a BHR,which luckily I was.
I then asked to be put on his NSH list.
Best thing to do is phone up his private clinic and have a chat with them for options.
Or you could get your GP to refer you to see him on the NHS directly but it will be 3 plus months.
Some GP's can be reluctant to refer out of your area but remember it's your right to choose where you want to go and also who you want to see.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:26:12 AM by gasyz »
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

Granton

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
I had both mine done by Mr McMinn, 19 years and 5 years ago. The second was done under the NHS. However, I understand that he is no longer doing NHS work.

A couple of years ago I recommended a friend to either McMinn or Treacy and he eventually had bilateral BHRs by My Treacy under NHS (very successfully).

Good luck.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

rag33

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:01:14 AM »
Hi, I'm jumping in a little late here. I don't have experience with NHS, but am in a similar situation in France. I'm 43 and a month post resurfacing right hip. I am a long distance runner, played soccer. Over the past 10 years, I've had various aches  and pains (knees, back etc). It finally got so bad, I had to stop everything...they finally found that my hip had gotten so bad, I needed to do something fast. long story short, I had to pay out of pocket to get resurfacing.  I'm fighting the french health service for them to cover it. My point is: it's worth it . The pain is gone and even though I'm not fully active yet, I have regained my life.  That's my two cents :)
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

hipster75

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
Hi, I'm jumping in a little late here. I don't have experience with NHS, but am in a similar situation in France. I'm 43 and a month post resurfacing right hip. I am a long distance runner, played soccer. Over the past 10 years, I've had various aches  and pains (knees, back etc). It finally got so bad, I had to stop everything...they finally found that my hip had gotten so bad, I needed to do something fast. long story short, I had to pay out of pocket to get resurfacing.  I'm fighting the french health service for them to cover it. My point is: it's worth it . The pain is gone and even though I'm not fully active yet, I have regained my life.  That's my two cents :)

Thanks for this. I'm going to book a paid consultation with Dr Treacy soon.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear