+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Revision to THR, keep the BHR cup  (Read 958 times)

jsblock11

Revision to THR, keep the BHR cup
« on: November 06, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Has anyone had, or heard of having a revision to THR but keeping the BHR cup? Seems like it has been done quite a bit , but specifically I’m wondering if a poly liner insert can be used with the BHR cup the way they are used with THR metal cups.

I’m really concerned with retaining a metal bearing surface after having possible adverse reaction to metal wear. Weighing the concern of the metal bearing vs the concern of bone loss by revising to a new cup as well.

jimbone

Re: Revision to THR, keep the BHR cup
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
Have you discussed this with your surgeon?  What is their opinion, why and how many revisions of this nature they'd done would be questions I'd like some answers to.  Have you had adverse metal reactions?  Your post is somewhat ambiguous on the subject.  What I have read is reaction to metal ions is statistically small.  I have seen where a resurfacing revision will retain as much of the previous device as possible to reduce the overall trauma and impact of the surgery.  It would probably be best to get opinions fro several of the top surgeons known here an base you final decision on their input.  Best wishes getting it straightened out.

jsblock11

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »
I’ve consulted all the top surgeons from this site plus my surgeon, all of whom say I might have adverse reaction and metal wear, but not certain since the device is perfectly positioned. I’m waiting 6 months, but my original surgeon advised to keep the cup and avoid bone loss if we did a revision.

He says keep the cup or replace the cup if I want no metal bearing surfaces. I emailed him my question about liners, and thought I’d ask here too while awaiting his reply.

So, still in the “what if “ phase, weighing the pros and cons. If my ions and fluid collection continue to rise, then I’d be terrified of leaving a metal bearing surface in there.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
Hi there,
I had a revision of a metal-on-metal resurfacing which, after 12 great years, was starting to show signs of metal reaction. Dr. Pritchett replaced the cup with a poly lined cup and left the femoral component alone. Surgery was Sept 18 and I’m doing great.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear