+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muscle and soft tissue repairs post implantation  (Read 1170 times)

Rn2md

Muscle and soft tissue repairs post implantation
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:00:26 AM »
Is anyone aware of any differences among the high volume resurfacing surgeons as to the extent of muscle and tendon repair performed during the closure process? From what I gather, It appears directly related to the speed of recovery and ultimately the level of functionality, all else being equal.

John C

Re: Muscle and soft tissue repairs post implantation
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »
The one discussion that I am aware of from about 10 years ago was over the importance of repairing the joint capsule. At that time the importance was just being discovered, so not everyone had been doing it. I think that today it is common, but might be something you could ask about.
The other place that I am aware of differences is in how the skin is closed. Some use stitches, some like Dr Gross use a type of glue that avoids leaving any skin penetrations on the surface that could allow infection to transport in, and some use staples which some studies show a slightly higher risk of infection. Many would argue that the type of skin closure is not important, and would show no difference after a few weeks.
As far as muscle and tendon repair, many of these high volume surgeons have posted videos of their surgeries online, so that would be an excellent source of informant for you in terms of these internal soft tissue repair techniques.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat