+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scared of sitting and PT  (Read 1316 times)

rag33

Scared of sitting and PT
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm 4 days post op and terrified of messing  up my hip, like everyone else. I was (am?) an athlete before all this BS so have a hard time knowing my limits. I'm also very stubborn so don't am deaf to limits. I feel like I didn't get the best guidance before leaving the hospital but that's a different story.

So the question is do all seats really need to be 90°? I'm scared to even try to sit lower. I have a recliner I'd love to use but it feels a little low.  once I'm in it I'd be a very happy bunny. Soooo sick of lying around.

Also Dr. De Smet doesn't like PT. I have my PT appointments scheduled anyway because the hospital PT recommends it so you don't feel lost once you're home. I read too much and now I'm scared the PT won't know what to do with a HR patient...

Thanks everyone. If be lost without this community.
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

Quig

Re: Scared of sitting and PT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Being terrified of messing things up is pretty much the norm around here. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine just like the rest of us. The 90 degree rule is something to keep in mind but don't over worry about it. Just be mindful of it and be careful when sitting or getting out of a seated position.

It's my understanding that most docs don't suggest PT. I went to Dr. Gross and he just wants you to walk. I just did that until adding other activities to get back into shape. I was back to the stationary bike very, very soon and just took it easy at the beginning and turned up the intensity over time.

Seems to me the best advice is to listen to what your doctor suggests and also to listen to your body!

Good luck!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Kingrob

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
The first step in getting back to top health is do no harm. I chose my surgeon because of his experience with HR. I trusted what he told me to do after the procedure.

I am not sure what you mean by trying to sit lower than 90 degrees. This is something you should be avoiding and the reason most people have a raised toilet seat.

I know doing very little can be hard - this is where you have to be strong. Kind of ironic.

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:33:05 PM by Kingrob »

Asalisbu

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
Hey Rag 33 I am ahead of you at almost four weeks in a couple of days from a bi-lat.   

The 90 degree rule has been the bane of my existence but is manageable.  I’m 6’5” so Doctor Gross told me to get a raised cushion which has allowed me to park it in most chairs.  The house I have mapped out well which chairs work and don’t work. Spend the bulk of non bed time on a high top chair at our breakfast counter but rotate around. 

Not sure about you but I don’t have the ability to break 90 without my hips calling me out.  I accidentally did it once while trying to get a shoe on and I got a jolt reminding me not to do that.  So it really become less of a rule for me and more something I just wasn’t able to do anyway at the moment. 

As far as the post op paranoia, the head game is legit during this recovery.  I have had the “ I ruined this” and “this was a mistake” thoughts creep in and still do a little wrestling at almost four weeks.  Nancy at the Doc’s office has been great and has answered all my questions about every jolt of pain that has prompted me to go all Eore on the situation.  She gave me a great rule of thumb to measure if it’s an issue, if the pain is absolutely excruciating  and/or you are unable to bear weight is when you should be concerned.   So when I’m sore or my flexor’s are shot from the day of walking PT and I get frustrated about why I am not 100 percent pain free I go back to that measure.  That advice plus the slow but steady gains are enough to keep the demons at bay.   I am on pace with the normal recovery, do a lot of one crutch walking and have tried no crutches for a few steps (supposed to wait two more days tried it yesterday for about six steps, no real issues but definitely not pretty yet).   

I am torn about the PT.  Dr. Gross just wants walking as well.   I am going to go with that until I feel that I am not getting anymore gains from walking and returning to gym activities and will reassess. 

All said it sounds like everything your dealing with is exactly what I went and am going through.  Keep plugging forward one step at a time. 

suncag

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
Hi Rag33,

Similar to Asalisbu, I am also 4 weeks post op (also Dr. Gross) and struggled/struggling with same issues as you.  I think my first phase was week 1 where I was quite shell shocked by the pain (my fault for listening to some well-meaning friends who had similar operations years ago and told me no need for pain meds) but thanks to Dr. Gross's head nurse, Nancy, I quickly got the pain med regimen corrected and then by 6 days post-op I no longer needed any more pain med.  I have been pretty lucky in that I was able to ditch the walker at end of week 1 and then the cane at end of week 2 and have been getting around pretty well now but I have to be careful not to walk too much in a given instance.  I am up to a little over a mile now before I start to fatigue.  Like someone mentioned in this thread, if you do violate the 90-degree rule (or try to stretch beyond the limit in any other way), your body will quickly let you know you can't do that yet.  But I agree you need to be cautious.  But don't be dismayed, other than taking the steps 1 step at a time, I am actually already moving around quite normally with no cane/walker, etc.  I do walk a little bit slower than usual sometimes.  And I get a little stiff after sitting in long car ride.  But the daily improvement in range of motion and everything in general has been very positive.  I got some FANTASTIC advice from John C. just 2 days ago when I was getting a little "Eeyore" myself.  I would strongly recommend you read that post from John C. to me.  Very Very helpful, informative, and encouraging!  (just go to the Chris HR Dr. Gross 2018 thread in the hip stories section). 
Also - regarding PT, I am following Dr. Gross' protocol which is strictly to do some very simple isometric exercises (you do these while sitting down/lying down) and to keep walking a little more each day.  At your stage at just 4 days, I would take it easy and just use the walker/cane/crutch to get around the house a little bit and not try to go for any distance walks yet and not push yourself.  AS John C pointed out in that post - these 1st 6 weeks are all about letting your body heal and not pushing it too far.  But you will be amazed at how much better you will be doing by weeks 2 and 3!  I am very encouraged and can't wait to get the all clear at my 6-week post op in a few week to be able to start walking more than a mile per walk.  I would be leery of going to PT unless you've got someone really good and very knowledgeable about rehabing HR patients.  There are a lot of youngster PTs out there who mean well but really don't know what they're doing - especially around HR.  I've had a lot of well-meaning but ignorant friends try to tell me I got the wrong procedure and should have gotten a THR instead of an HR and then I'd have had a much quicker/easier recovery like their THR friend had.  Again - please read John C's post to me from yesterday.  Invaluable info in there for everyone struggling/questioning in this first 6-week phase of recovery.

Hope this helps!
Chris
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:43:06 PM by suncag »

Rus

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
Could you sit in the recliner without passing 90 degrees?  I managed to get in and out of a deck chair at about 2/3 weeks.  I had to use my arms a lot to avoid passing 90 on the way in and out.  But once in it was very comfortable! 

For the first 2 or 3 weeks I concentrated on walking, and a few simple exercises similar to those in the Dr Gross video.  The hospital set up group PT sessions at 2.5 and 4.5 weeks, and increased what we could do each time. 
At 6 weeks, i was given the all clear to push the limits a little more (tie my own laces, that kind of thing). 

Now at 9 weeks, and still have work to do, but feeling pleased over all.  Hang in there, the days soon turn into weeks!!

suncag

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
Roger that.  I'm 4 weeks today and tying my shoe laces myself (albeit very carefully).  I used a recliner first two weeks.  One big challenge I had was sleeping on my back all the time.  Average person changes position 64 times while sleeping each night.  I am still sleeping mostly on my back but also on my good side with pillow in between knees.  Have not ventured to sleep on operated side yet.

avilax777

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 02:20:07 AM »
this is a great post thanks for posting and all the replies.  I am in the same boat at 3 weeks out.   I was actually felt good first week of surgery and was doing walks around the hotel with the walker the first few days and seemed to walk a lot more the first week.  Then at day 9 i walked a lot about 3/4 mile and another 1/2 with two crutches and after that i can tell it slowed my progress because I felt that I had to slow down.  So I slowed down for a week walking and  doing my exercises but less then before.   And today again I started walking with walking poles the first time and i did well in the morning walking .3 miles then in the evening i was in a little pain but I said hey gotta push though it so i did another .3 walk after that walk i can feel my hip swell up and i was in more pain.  So i iced the hip area and also use heat for other areas in my legs for the muscles took several hours i am still not back to normal.  What this teaches me is that this is different then a sport or workout where we are thought to push past the pain or no pain no gain.   Maybe it should be more like "pain no gain".  So reading everything made me realize that this surgery is funny its meant for more active people but at the sametime the recovery is kind of fluid and not so concrete that as active people we try to do more and push.   It at the time we feel great that we need to be most careful because that is when I have pushed my threshold only to have set backs. 

Regarding the recliner if it sits down to low i know what you mean some car seats are like that.  What I do for anything that seems too low that i might break the 90 i add pillows to raise it up.  So you might want to put some pillows on it.  My bed is really low so what I do is put my operated leg straight out  wen i am going down on the bed and it always stays straight out while the no operated leg can be bent.   There is a good illustration on this site how to sit.   

I start PT this wednesday.  Dr Pritchet recomends PT but with what I have read on this post regarding THR and HR pt and the muscles I will take that in with me.  This post was very time appropriate. 

DR Pritchet L Synovo preserve acetabular and cemented Biomet femur

catfriend

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
Search Amazon for "cushion for hip replacement". There are cushions available to put on chairs, car seats, etc. to raise them high enough to avoid breaking the 90 degree rule. They are easily portable so you can take them to restaurants, theatres, wherever.

If you hit a point of pain while exercising, you are going too far. Your body will heal on its own time, not what your mind wishes. If you need to back off in the short term and go slow, then that's what you need to do. What matters is your long term outcome, not the first few weeks. As the old saying goes, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

suncag

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
I agree.  Very important to NOT push in first 6 weeks.  I am 5 weeks post op today and feeling great.  I started doing upper body weights last week sitting and lying down on bench. Very weird for me to do so much with weights and no cardio when daily 30 minute intense elliptical workout was always staple of my workout.  But I have been walking more to.  Today I walked 1.3 miles this morning outside and felt great but ended it there to be safe.  When I tried to walk again tonight, I could tell I was done for the day.  I made it through almost a mile but then quit due to fatigue. But I am very happy with progress and hoping to get back to my 2 mile walks in next 2 weeks. 

Good luck and hang in there!

jimbone

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
Suncag

FWIW, at least one of the highly experienced surgeons noted here [don't recall if it's Su or Gross] indicates in their recovery information they like to see their patience able to walk one mile without aids at the 6 week check up.  I could do this a 7 weeks after my second hip, done with a 6 week interval, but it was a challenge I often paid for it the next day.  A great deal depends on our condition [especially hip rotator & leg strength] going in to surgery.  With your previous elliptical work out you are probably forward on the curve and accustomed to recovering after a hard work out.  Using common sense, pushing it but not too far and letting the body heal is trying my patience but getting me through this- just keep an eye on fatigue levels and the quality of the pain- good/yes, bad/no.

rag33

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
Such great information from everyone. Thanks for sharing. Like everyone said, I felt great and did too much the first two weeks so I've dialled it back a little svd am making myself lie down more. Sleeping still isn't great but it's getting there...
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

suncag

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Sleep will definitely improve, Rag33.  Try to use the pillow between knees when on your side.  I sleep with one pillow beneath my head and keep one next to my bed within arms reach.  When I shift to sleep on my side I grab it and put it between knees.  Almost 8 weeks post op now, I don't need the knee pillow to sleep on good side but sometimes still use it for operated side.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat