+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Years Post Op with Dr. Gross  (Read 951 times)

Kingrob

3 Years Post Op with Dr. Gross
« on: November 27, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »
I had my right hip resurfaced the day before Thanksgiving 2015 by Dr. Gross. I could not be any happier with the results to this point. I went almost 10 years with bone on bone in my right hip and had a very noticeable limp for years before getting the HR. The only cardio I could do during this period was the stationary bike. This surgery was life changing for me.

When I was finally able to start running 6 months after surgery I knew I would have a lot of issues with other than my hip. The last time I was able to run was 2006 - I was 42. I managed to run in several 5k's by the end of 2016 pain free. My training was only once or twice a week of running with some work in the Gym. My times were not good - I managed to be under 30 min both times. I competed in a local Senior Games in 2017, I ran the 400M, and played Table Tennis. I ran a slow 71 seconds in the 400m and Won the Table Tennis. It was fun to compete again - its what makes you an athlete. I never ran the 400M before but I really enjoy running and training for it. I ran again in this years local Senior Games in the 50M, and 400M. I was only 2 seconds faster this year but I did qualify for the State Games in a couple of weeks. Up until the middle of October of this year I have never ran back to back days when training. I would usually run 5 days every two weeks. I want to qualify for the National Senior Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I would need to drop 3 seconds off my time to qualify. I now run back to back days. I ran 4 days in a row over the holiday weekend. I am sore but my hip is not. I took yesterday off and I am going running later today.

I could have pushed it harder during the first year and maybe I could have progressed faster. I enjoyed the process of rehabbing and tracking my improvement. Just being able to run pain free again was something that I truly took the time to enjoy. I love to run.  I am hoping to be able to run in my 70's and maybe beyond. When I focused on the big picture it was not worth it for me. I just listened to my body, however, I would not exceed the doctors protocol. I was in a situation where I had to think about family, finances and more time off from work if I had to have some type of revision. I had confidence that this was going to work out for me, I just couldn't trip myself up.

I am not sure I would have chose HR if not for this site. Thanks to Pat for all the effort she puts into the Surface Hippy Website. Thanks to everybody who posted their stories because ultimately it was reading about your success that made me feel confident about getting my hip resurfaced. In researching this procedure I found that the skill and experience of the surgeon is the biggest factor on the outcome. Numbers were skewed because doctors preforming this procedure lacked the skill, training, and experience to do it. If you take the results of the doctors with the necessary experience and training you can see the excellent results. There is now more than handful of talented surgeons with the necessary experience to do this procedure. If you are going to get resurfacing done make sure you choose one of these doctors with plenty of experience.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:05:51 AM by Kingrob »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 3 Years Post Op with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »
Congratulations on your anniversary!  I hope you have many, many more.  So nice of you to stop by and share your story and update.  These posts are so helpful to new members.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

Re: 3 Years Post Op with Dr. Gross
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
Go Kingrob! Here's to three more! (Or thirty!)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat