+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 week sampling?  (Read 868 times)

HipToTry

5 week sampling?
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »
Hi all

I'm at 5 weeks today following my right hip BHR resurfacing on 10/26 with Dr. Scott Marwin at NYU in New York City.  I think everything went pretty well.  I did the procedure on an outpatient basis and was home in my own bed that night.  In retrospect, I may have done better staying in the hospital that night as I don't own a reclining chair and I think that would have made sleeping easier.

So I'm back to work for a week now (desk job although I have an adjustable stand up desk which helps).  I still have a fair amount of pain at times....It's tough to stay in one position for more than an hour.  I use a cane to do the commute to the city but that's more for self defense than need. I have a fairly pronounced limp although I think that has abated a bit from the first couple weeks.  Occasionally I'll move it a certain way and really get a wake up call.   Sleeping still remains an issue as it just really throbs in bed at times and I have to switch positions every 30-40 minutes.  I've noticed that I have absolutely zero strength in my gluteus medius (can't raise that leg at all in a scissor lift when lying down on my good side).

I know I'm basically an impatient healer.  I'm curious if others can recall where they were in terms of pain, strength and activity at the 5 week point.   I guess I really want to get to the point where I feel better than I did pre-op.  Not close yet

Thanks

-Scott
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:13:43 PM by HipToTry »

jimbone

Re: 5 week sampling?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
Hi Scot-

Healing seems to be an exercise in patience for most people- or at least a large part of healing.  Can I assume you were given a list of hmoe PT exercises to do while you heal, at least some basic ones?  I found even those could be challenging in the beginning [to the point of not being able to do them at all at first] but daily practice brought results even if too slowly for my preference.  The side leg raises are a more advanced exercise from my list.  I worked on getting the clams done well before moving to leg raises just as I needed to do a lot of marching bridges before I could do straight leg raises when laying on my back.  To strengthen the glute muscles I've followed a couple of exercise: glute squeezes- I really needed to concentrate to make sure I was getting strong and complete activation of all the glute muscles and holding them strongly for a count of 10 with a 10 second  rest.  Form and concentration are the key.  The other is theraband walking- that is using the resistance bands provided by PT, tied around your knees at first and later your ankles and both side walking and front and backward walking.  Keep a couple of fingers lightly touching your glute muscles when doing any of the above and insure you're getting the glute muscles firing and not depending on the TFL muscles doing the work. Important to retrain the nerve paths that have been interfered with to send the message to the muscles properly.  Careful, balanced stair climbing has also been beneficial.  I am concerned however to hear you are still walking with a limp- this could lead to other difficulties.  Are you working with a physical therapist and if not can you get the surgeon to prescribe PT?  It might and should accelerate your recovery if you find a good one.

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:08:55 AM »
Echo jimbone's comments completely. Diligent, patient exercise is vital, just challenging yourself enough and not overdoing it.

I would recommend McMinn's rehab pages for information but obviously everyone is unique so consulting with your surgeon would be sensible.

http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/rehabilitation.html

After six week check up McMinn recommends breast-stroke swimming as the single best way to rehab.

Only other comment I would make is that ... It never ends. I thought I was rehabilitated after a 6 months or so, but realised that ongoing exercise and maintenance of your fitness and strength and flexibility around the hip are always important if you don't want clunking or discomfort and perhaps other issues.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:15:44 AM by MattJersey »
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
Hi Scott,

Like Jimbone, I took note of your comment about walking with a limp. From my understanding, it’s important to avoid limping and to use whatever aids you need (crutches, trekking poles, cane) until you are strong enough to walk without a limp. I got that advice from my doctors and physical therapists for HR, THR and HR Revision. Limping throws things off balance and can lead to more recovery problems. Good luck!

frigator

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »
At five weeks I was on a slow protocol on crutches with only 10% weight bearing. I have terrible shoulders so using the crutches was hard on the shoulders, so I did very little but sit in my recliner. I really had little hip pain as I wasn't doing much. I did the initial 6 week in bed exercises which were easy. I hear about people crutching for miles and I wince, cause each step for me is pain in the shoulders. I was supposed to get the left shoulder done before the hip but decided to do the hip first.

I lived in that recliner the first 3-4 months or so....it was high, easy to get in and out off and made a very nice bed when fully reclined. I never expected to be on crutches so long as they only do the dexa scan at the pre-op, the day before surgery. So I learned at 4pm the day before surgery that I would be on these crutches and still think today my muscles wasted quite a bit during those weeks of light activity.  I wish I had done the dexa scan earlier so I could have prepared my house better at the very least. I may have even delayed the surgery, built the bone up and then came back in a year.

Rus

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Hi Scott,
I know exactly what you mean about keeping the stick for self defense.  I think I could have ditched it at around 3.5 to 4 weeks, but kept carrying it so people might give me some space. 
At five weeks I could do the scissor lifts quite easily, but was hopeless at lifting it straight up, lying on my back! They say we're all different!  Having said that, the rest of your description would have matched me quite well at 5 weeks.  For me, that was better than before the Op. 
I'll be 10 weeks on Monday.  Most normal activity feels pretty good now, but I need to keep working on strength and flexibility.
Best of luck! Stay patient!

HipToTry

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies....  Funny thing is that the night after I wrote this was probably one of my best sleeps in a while and I felt pretty good this past weekend.  I may have over did things a bit at home helping out with xmas decorating as I'm sore today.  I also started my pool therapy on saturday which really worked it.  I'm doing P/T 3 days a week now.  Aiming for 2 in the pool and one with the therapists in the gym.  I've been focusing more on walking without a limp and I think part of it is mental.   I know when I'm doing it too much as my other hip gets irritated be it bursitis or tendonitis.

I appreciate the feedback
-Scott

karlos.bell

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 03:39:13 AM »
Hi
You are doing well man I got off the crutches after 3 months but I was 8 years prior on crutches so it depend s how long previous you had the issue. Cheers
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat