+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week update - right hip BHR resurfacing  (Read 1006 times)

HipToTry

6 week update - right hip BHR resurfacing
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
Hi all
6 weeks post op today.
This week has been tough.  Perhaps some of it is overuse as I did start my pool PT sessions and I put lights on the tree (which basically just involved standing for an extended period).  Pain levels have increased again.  Basically a dull aching pain which seems to start at the joint and radiate down my leg.  Unfortunately it's worse at night which is affecting my sleep again.  I think the worst part is mental.  I keep having thoughts creeping into my head that something isn't right or that i'm having tissue reactions to the metal implant which is definitely affecting my mood a bit.  I've reached out to the dr's office but today is his surgical day so not sure when I'd hear from them.   Not expecting much as they usually just say everything I'm describing is normal.   I hope it improves soon - really regretting the procedure so far. :(

jimbone

Re: 6 week update - right hip BHR resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »
Hip-

Is there a particular activity or exercise you do that you find alleviates the pain?  I have a symptom not unlike yours although not as severe as yours sounds.  It starts at the pelvis/femur intersection- subjectively right at the cup.  I have found when I can stretch/massage the inner thigh muscles, the adductors, and get them to loosen up a bit my symptoms are reduced.  It actually effects several of the muscles and ligaments that tie into the front and side of the pelvis and femur- the glutes/periformis that need stretching.  A foam roller has also been beneficial.  I started back with deep tissue massage- first since surgery- yesterday and found it relieved a lot of the symptoms.  I will be continuing with the massage, home PT, swimming, walking and the gym at an appropriate level as it seems to help more to stay active but not overdue it.  I should mention although I am just short of 3 months after my second resurfacing [the 1st was in July] I still find I need an Ibeprofun and a Tylenol generally 2 X day for pain especially after days I've pushed too hard.  Also there's nothing like a hot sauna followed with some stretching in the jacuzzi with a cold dip in the pool to ease stiffness if you have access to a health club with these facilities.  FWIW- my symptoms at 6 weeks were bad enough for me to postpone my 6 week checkup because I wanted to see if I could reduce the symptoms as much as possible so I could present clear data to the surgeon.  By week 7 1/2 I felt I could and things have improved- but not resolved- since then so I still have some residual difficulties and attendant anxieties.  My experience so far however is that thoughtful, careful and consistent movement/exercise is my most reliable ally and with perseverance it will heal.  Hope you're feeling and doing better soon but don't hesitate to see your surgeon if only for the peace of mind and getting the feedback you need that will provide.

Mikek

Re: 6 week update - right hip BHR resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »
Hi, Hip
I'm 8 weeks in on my right, 9 years on my left.  During my first recovery I had those thoughts you're referring to, wondering if something had gone wrong.  I'd ache some nights and have trouble sleeping.  This was usually after I'd overdone walking or carrying weights in the gym.  I had a fast recovery, but put up with a lot of pain to get there.
This recovery is going faster, and with less pain.  I iced a lot for the first few weeks, any time I was sitting or lying down.  Are you icing several times a day?  I also wasn't in such a hurry to get off painkillers, since I knew from the first round that addiction wasn't an issue for me.  I borrowed an exercise bike, which really helped me to loosen up during weeks 2 to 6, and I still use it now.
Chances are you're going to be quite happy with this in the long run, but even with a quick recovery it's a long total recovery.  These devices are tough, so push the freak-out thoughts aside.  Ice a ton.  Stretch a ton, nonaggressively.  Take some painkillers before bed, Alleve or ibuprofen. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat