+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pelvis size  (Read 832 times)

georgegerhard

Pelvis size
« on: December 08, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
I was told by a ortho surgeon that my hip was too small for Birmingham hip resurfacing.
and that he only uses that brand because its FDA approved, so my only option with that
surgeon is total hip replacement. He did say that there are others surgeons that will use
other devices.
I have an appointment with a Dr.Su at HSS in NYC, unfortunately his practice does not accept
my insurance, so I will pay for the consultation out of pocket.
I would greatly appreciate feedback on this topic

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Pelvis size
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
Hi George, I assume.  Welcome to Hip Talk.  There are a handful of surgeons that do hip resurfacing for women and small men.  Not all surgeons use the BHR.  Here are some responses by surgeons about resurfacing for women and small men.  That may help you. Many of the very experienced surgeons do hip resurfacing with other devices.  The devices are not FDA approved as a device, but the components are FDA approved, so they are used off lable. Dr. Gross explains off lable use here, it is an old article but still relevant 

https://surfacehippy.info/fda-approvals-and-information-about-hip-resurfacing-systems/

Here is a collection of articles about hip resurfacing for women and small men

https://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-for-women-and-small-men/

There are surgeons in the US and overseas that still do women and small men. Dr. Su, Dr. Gross, Dr. Pritchett and Dr. De Smet of Belgium and Mr. McMinn of UK are several.  You can see the list here of top, experienced surgeons.

https://surfacehippy.info/doctors-with-1000-hip-resurfacings/

Here is a video by Mr. McMinn about his experienced of hip resurfacing for women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=584&v=o-gco9zNlnA

I hope that helps.  There are surgeons doing hip resurfacing for women and small men.  There are few and far between, but very experienced with excellent outcomes. Most us devices other than the BHR.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pat
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:36:54 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
You can also send an email with your x-rays in a digital format to many of the top surgeons and get a free email consultation. That way you can get several opinions free and know your options.  The surgeons that do free email consultations are marked in the list I gave you in the previous reply.  Some surgeons, like Dr. Gross, will actually call you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
George-

I don't know if this is an option for you but you might switch insurance providers.  I was uninsured and chose my coverage based on the surgeon's insurance criteria having decided the most critical choice in having the operation is the surgeon.  Financially it was a burden, I am self employed and knew I would not be able to work or accept new contracts at least until through recovery, but still more cost effective than paying for the operation directly out of pocket.  There is still another week to select coverage at least in my home state- not sure if that is a nation wide time line.  As Pat said- there are a number of highly skilled surgeons that do resurfacing on smaller men and women regularly.  BHR is not the only option.

avilax777

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
george i am a small male too small for BHR at 47mm.  I had my hip resurfacing done with DR Pritchet he has his own devise which does not use metal on metal you might want to look him up.  He ended up using a biomet on my femur an his synovo on my acetabluar.  I was from Los Angeles and he was in network for my insurance.   

georgegerhard

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »
Many thanks for the responses.
We are currently looking into other insurance carriers
As I am self employed, I do not enjoy the benefits of group covergae

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »
Hi.
Injured right hip 2007 - FAI in the end both Hips  on top of injury. In the end I had to pay to have it sorted but I was on crutches for 8 years of those 10 off work (or normal).
Point is I would have loved to know what was wrong in 2007 as I got told you are a young man. I would have paid back then if I knew the issue as I lost a lot probably 10 times the amount the operation costs in finances - jobs and real estate I sold.. I cannot put a figure on the chronic pain and the time lost. The only offer came through from De Smet. Look around get it sorted the cost can blow out. Just my experience. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

John C

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
I do not know if it would relate to your situation, but sometimes the hospital will take insurance that the surgeon does not. Since the hospital is by far the biggest part of the expense and often includes the prosthesis through them, the cost of paying the surgeon may not be much more than your deductible.
For example; when I had my first hip done by Dr Gross 10 years ago, both the hospital and the surgeon accepted my insurance, but after the deductible and paying for Dr Gross's assistant, it cost me about $5000. This year when I had my other hip done by Dr Gross, he does not accept Medicare, but the hospital did along with my supplemental, so the hospital cost me nothing this time. Dr Gross cost me about $5000 with no insurance accepted, and in the end my total out of pocket was almost exactly the same.
Maybe worth checking with some of the hospitals the surgeons use, and see if they take your insurance.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM