+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I cancel my THR?  (Read 2905 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Should I cancel my THR?
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »
Note:  Pat is posting this for painful54. They were not sure how to make a post. I hope a few of you will be able to give them some advice.

After my 2nd cortisone injection I scheduled my THR surgery date. I'm 54 yrs old, very scared and sad...I didn't know about the resurfacing procedure. Has anyone on this chat had their resurfacing surgery in Los Angeles, Ca. if so, would you please share your experience? Thank you.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:48:24 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Re: Should I cancel my THR?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
Hi

Who is your doctor in Los Angeles?  I have a lot of patient stories listed from many doctors.  If you are going to one of the doctors on my list  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php   there will be paitent stories listed here   http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php

If you tell people what doctor you are considering, there might be some patients on the discussion group.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »
Hi, you are fortunate to live in So Cal, if you are considering hip resurfacing (which I believe is also fortunate, especially if you are close to going in for THR).
I'm from Phoenix area and went to CA for surgery. From my research, 2 of the best are in LA area (Amstutz and Schmalzreid). I have relatives in San Diego, which made that more convenient, and had my resurfacing done by Dr. Ball. As Pat mentioned, you can find further info about these docs on other areas of this site.
BTW Pat, I asked Dr. Ball for the number of resurfs, and he didn't know off hand, but said it's certainly over 100 on his own, plus the totals from his residency w/ Amstutz and Schmalzreid.
Good luck,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »
Hi Dirk

Thanks for the update on Dr. Ball.  I revised his listing.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:19:02 AM »
I was scheduled for THR in Atlanta, my home, and at the last minute cancelled. I learned of resurfacing and Dr. Gross. After my visit with him I never looked back. I believe the whole decision was orchestrated by God. It was an answer to my prayers.

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6.23.08 R 6.25.08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
Hi Painful - Welcome to Surface Hippy. I think many of us on this site would suggest that you not go through with a surgery if you're feeling such a high level of doubt and worry. This is something you will have to live with for the rest of your life. Many of us started out feeling uncertain about whether to go the total hip route or resurfacing. We just knew that the pain had become unbearable.
Talk to different doctors and read the info here on this site. I think that once you have done some homework you will feel more comfortable about your choices.
Good luck - Tom

stevel

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
Hi Painful54,

I am also 54 considering hip resurfacing.  I am not painful, unless I really overdue it, but my xrays warrant a resurfacing as I am destroying bones.  I reviewed the top LA Drs. Amstutz and Schmarlzied and decided not to go there since Dr. Amstutz installs a non FDA approved device and Dr. S installs the FDA approved device, Cormet which had some problems with heat treatment, earlier.  I want the Birmingham Device installed since it has a long track record of success so I'm considering going to Dr. Su in New York.  By the way, does THR mean Total Hip Replacement or Total Hip Resurfacing?  You should certainly consider cancelling a replacement and book a resurfacing if you qualify.  I plan on a pre-op with Dr. Su to discuss my options.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
I had a resurfacing done with a Birmingham device by Dr. Andrew Yun at the Hip & Pelvic Institute at Saint Johns Health Center in Santa Monica in May of this year. 

I would highly recommend contacting them if you are in the LA area, 310-582-7474.  Great facility, great care, great results.

painful54

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:56:59 AM »
I would like to thank you for your replies. I cancelled my hip replacement surgery today and booked a consultation with Dr. Amstutz. I was not aware he used a non FDA approved device. Thank you for such valuable information. He is not a network Doctor and his office made it clear that I would have to pay for the surgery in advance. I am in pain, so I can't wait much longer...

painful54

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »
Dear Claydascope, thank you so much for your great recommendation. Would you please share more information regarding your surgery? How long was your recovery?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
Painful54

Dr. Amstutz is a great doctor. There are quite a few in the CA area.  Another doctor many people like out that way is Dr. Ure.

Don't worry about the device not being FDA approved.  The components actually are FDA approved - it is just not FDA approved as a system.  Here is a letter from Dr. Gross explaining that situation.  Since the components are FDA approved, many insurance companies still cover the hip resurfacing surgery.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/fdaapproval.php

I hope you will be out of pain soon and telling us about your recovery.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:55 PM »
Dear Claydascope, thank you so much for your great recommendation. Would you please share more information regarding your surgery? How long was your recovery?

Last summer I found out why I was in so much pain; arthritis.  The local orthopedic surgeon told me I needed bilateral total hip replacements.  During my follow up research I learned of Dr Yun from a fellow mountaineer.  In February of this year I made an appointment to see him.  The initial consultation was excellent and Dr Yun suggested hip resurfacing instead of total replacement.

I made an appointment for surgery on my right hip on May 8th.  Surgery took less than 2 hours and I was walking that afternoon.  They told me I could go home the next day, but my ride (I live 300 miles from LA) wasn't coming until the third day.  Everyone I dealt with at the hospital was helpful and caring.  The drive home was rather difficult.

For 2 weeks I stayed medicated.  At 3 weeks I started to drive and went back to work part time.  At 4 weeks I drove myself back to LA for a follow up appointment with Dr Yun.  I walked with crutches for those 4 weeks, 50% weight bearing.  Then it was a cane for 1.5 weeks, then nothing.  At 8 weeks I started walking 2-3 miles a day.  My longest so far has been 4 miles non stop, but I know I can go farther.

Last week all my range of motion restrictions were lifted.  I got the go ahead to ride a bike, a motorcycle, yoga and more aggressive, yet low impact exercise.  So far the only PT has been walking.  My limp is really eased up and I'm feeling much stronger.

Looks like next spring I will do the second one.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »
Hi SteveL - I don't know if you got an answer to your question -
THR means total hip replacement. If you see it preceded by R or L, that simply means right or left. Bilateral (bilat) means the person had both hips done.
BHR means Birmingham Hip Resurfacing, which is one of many resurfacing systems on the market. It happens to be the one I got, and I'm very happy with it.
Good luck - Tom

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat