+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Revision by Dr. Pritcchett 2018  (Read 1718 times)

Saddlepal3

Revision by Dr. Pritcchett 2018
« on: October 03, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »

Read Original Post About Doctor Disagreement Here

Well folks, I did it. Flew back to Seattle to have revision surgery with Dr. Pritchett on Sept 18. I had gotten opinions from several other doctors before I made my decision: Dr. Raterman and Dr. De Smet recommended revision; Dr. Gross recommended monitoring the situation. I decided to go forward with it because I was convinced that a revision would be inevitable at some point and I was afraid that my condition would deteriorate and possibly complicate the procedure.
All went well. Dr. Pritchett ended up replacing the acetabulum cup with a cross poly liner. Surgery was at Swedish Orthopedic Institute: high recommendations from me. I was discharged the next day. Walked too much on crutches to the extant that the foot on my “good” side developed a bit of plantar fasciitis, but recovery has generally gone well.
Dr. Pritchett noted that the metal reaction was in early stages, but it would have gotten worse in the future.
Spent 2 weeks at the Baroness Hotel, sort of like Grandma’s house, but affordable and walking distance to the hospital. Not fancy but ok for our needs.
Glad to have this over with.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:25:20 AM by Pat Walter »

catfriend

Re: Revision by Dr. Pritcchett 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
I'm glad the revision surgery went well for you. Hopefully this will be your last surgery. For women especially I think it's a fine line between wanting to put surgery off, because you should never rush into major surgery, and waiting until it's too late and the procedure will be even worse. As you say, the metallosis would have gotten worse and you would have eventually needed surgery no matter what. Continued good luck with your recovery.

John C

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
It is great to hear that your revision went well. Dr Pritchett seems to have developed a great deal of expertise at revising resurfacings. I appreciate that this was a tough decision, and congratulate you on the courage to move forward.
You mentioned that he replaced the cup, but did not mention the femoral component. What was done on that side?
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »
Hi John,
Yes, Dr. Pritchett has really studied the best strategies for resurfacing revisions. In my case, he left the femoral component alone. I have osteopenia, so we are going to put me on bone growth meds for a few months in order to strengthen bonding to the prosthesis.

Saf57

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:41:07 AM »
I'm glad the revision went well. From one of your earlier posts, it seemed as though you were talking about a revision to a THR, since you referenced going to a longer stem femoral component. It's encouraging to know that, as in your case, a revision that maintains the resurfaced femoral component is possible.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
Hi Saf57,
You are correct that there had been discussion (by 2 docs) of replacing the femoral head; however, it was assumed that the cup would stay put so it wouldn’t have been a full THR. To be honest, I didn’t really care, since my other hip received a THR in Feb 2018.
Just glad to have it over with and hoping that no infection comes along. Revisions statistically have a higher rate of infection that initial procedures (up to 10%). I’m washing my hands a lot:)

Saddlepal3

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
Friends, Quick uodate. I’ll be 13 weeks post revision tomorrow. Easiest recovery I have ever had. Currently using my elliptical for an hour every day plus some free weights to strengthen upper body. Also doing a 45 min brisk walk every afternoon for weight bearing exercise. Did 6 weeks of PT with several diabolical weight machines. Hit my limit for Medicare so have stopped.
Obviously am not an extreme athlete, but am excited to head for a 4 week trip to Thailand and Laos on Dec 28. Life is good!

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Friends, Quick uodate. I’ll be 13 weeks post revision tomorrow. Easiest recovery I have ever had. Currently using my elliptical for an hour every day plus some free weights to strengthen upper body. Also doing a 45 min brisk walk every afternoon for weight bearing exercise. Did 6 weeks of PT with several diabolical weight machines. Hit my limit for Medicare so have stopped.
Obviously am not an extreme athlete, but am excited to head for a 4 week trip to Thailand and Laos on Dec 28. Life is good!

That''s great news. Keep on with that great life.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jimbone

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
Diabolical weight machines........ Way to go.  Bon Voyage.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
Saddlepal3  Glad to hear you are doing well after your revision.  Have a great time in Thailand. I wish you the best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Eduardodr

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
I had my surgery back in July of 2016 in my right hip. I did the PT sessions and went back to work in 8 weeks. I did a lot of walking during that time and going to the gym. The issue I have is that I have a very hard time still putting my socks on the operated right hip. The issue is bending down to reach my foot and is so tight from the back. This pulls on my knee and now I have pain on my right knee. One exercise to describe this is putting your left knee to the floor while I have my right foot on the floor and knee bent. If I try in this position to touch the floor with my right had is very hard and difficult. If I try and do it with my left hand I cannot...is like a band pulling from the right back side. I still here clunking noises too. So, very disappointed with my ROM so far. As anyone had anything like this? I have appointment with my surgeon coming soon and will ask him to do an x-ray of my knee since I been having sharp pain walking that started a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was due to me doing too much stretching and working on getting my HIP flexor muscle stronger. I cannot easily cross my right leg either. The last x-ray was done in July 2018 showed all normal. I told my surgeon of my ROM issues and asked if something was wrong with the implant not moving. He stated the device was ok and is the muscle and ligaments that due that. He said to give it time. I see no improvements since then so very frustrated. I plan to ask him to take another x-ray of my hip to make sure all is ok there and do a blood test for MOM ions too. Maybe MRI should be done where he operated on my HIP to see what is going on with my muscles there since it so tight back there. Hoping anyone here can give some advice or had something similar to what I am going through and what was done to fix it. Thank you for reading this.
Eduardo

catfriend

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
Putting shoes and socks on my operated side has always been tricky for me since the surgery. Don't know why. My range of motion is fine. I can do lots of things. I can reach down to the floor just fine to put on my sock and shoe. This is how I do it. No tightness. But the bending it into the cross legged position and pulling it up position to put the sock and shoe is a no go.

Glad to know the revision is healing well.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear