+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: putting on shoes and socks?  (Read 1582 times)

avilax777

putting on shoes and socks?
« on: December 29, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
I am 7 /12 weeks out from Dr Pritchett Left hip resurfacing. I am pretty mobile, but everything is still tight.  My recovery is progressing quite well my next goal is shoes and socks.   I am able to put slip on shoes  I was wondering when you were able to put laced shoes and socks?  Also any workarounds for the mean time?

catfriend

Re: putting on shoes and socks?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
This was such a tough one for me I asked the same question on this forum. Here is the link:

https://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=5842.0

You can see how long it took me. I wasn't even close at 7 1/2 weeks!

I am convinced that everybody does super well at something after surgery, and everybody has their own Achilles heel. Mine was shoes and socks. Sounds like yours is as well. You'll get there. I promise.

John C

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:03:05 PM »
Here was my best work around, though it may have been a week or so past where you are.
Since I could not come close to crossing my leg up to put a sock on, or bending over to do it near the floor, I sat on the edge of a bed or stair step with my heel resting on the edge and tucked up against my butt. This would force the leg to bend enough that I could pull a sock on. This can also work for tying shoes at some point.
Like everything else in the healing process, don't push too hard to force anything before it is ready. Your body, and not the calendar, will let you know when it is ready and willing to take the next step.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Eduardodr

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »
I had my BHR surgery back in July of 2016 in my right hip. I did the PT sessions and went back to work in 8 weeks. I did a lot of walking during that time and going to the gym. The issue I have is that I have a very hard time still putting my socks on the operated right hip. The issue is bending down to reach my foot or just crossing my leg and is so tight from the back. This pulls on my right knee and now I have pain and some from left knee too. One exercise to describe this is putting your left knee to the floor while I have my right foot planted on the floor. If I try in this position to reach and touch the floor with my right hand is very hard and difficult. If I try and do it with my left hand I cannot...is like a band pulling from the right back side. I still here clunking noises too. So, very disappointed with my Range of Motion in my BHR hip.  Has anyone had anything like this? I have appointment with my surgeon and will ask him to do an x-ray of my knee and hip. I been having sharp pain walking that started a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was due to me doing too much stretching and working on getting my HIP flexor muscle stronger. The last x-ray was done in July 2018 showed all normal. I told my surgeon of my ROM issues and asked if something was wrong with the implant not moving. He stated the device was ok and is the muscle and ligaments that due that. He said to give it time. I see no improvements since then so very frustrated. Maybe MRI should be done where he operated on my HIP to see what is going on with my muscles since it is so tight back there and pulls from my knee. Hoping anyone here can give some advice or had something similar of what I am going through. Thank you for time reading this.
Eduardo

avilax777

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
eduar, i am not sure who your doctor is but maybe take you x-rays to another doctor for a second opinion.  If both say your devise is ok then get a good physical therapist to asses you maybe they can help loosen your muscles.  I know PT has helped me my regular PT was on vacation and I saw another guy in the same office he worked totally different and actually helped with my hip and knee pain that my regular PT hasn't addressed as well.  So I can see the difference just between the two and he showed me different stretches so finding the right person might help.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear