+-

Author Topic: Recovery time  (Read 323 times)

endodoc

Recovery time
« on: February 03, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
I just had my right hip resurfaced in Seattle on January 30th.  I am 5 days post op and stopped using narcotics after day 1 (due to constipation issues).  There is still quite a bit of pain while walking and I am only able to place around 30-40% of my body weight on my right leg.  The only exercises I feel comfortable with are the ankle pumps and glute contractions.  Itís quite disheartening having to rely on assistance to get in and out of bed.  How long before the operated leg doesnít feel like a ďlog.Ē
Thanks
Raj

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
Re: Recovery time
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »
Hi Raj

Congratulations on your new hip.  Recovery is a little different for everyone.  The log leg is pretty much standard and it will get better.  Just use some help if you need it, it will get better soon.  Most people hate to have that feeling of needing help.  We are all different and some need more than others.  You just had major surgery and the body takes a lot of time to recovery.

Most people take stool softners after surgery to help with things. 

Keep a positive outlook.  Things will be better soon.

Would you post the rest of your story under Personal Hip Stories with the doctor you used, please.  That way people can tell that you had surgery and who you had it with, so other patients can quickly see who you used.

I wish you the best.

Pat

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

endodoc

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 12:36:13 AM »
Thanks Pat. Will do!

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:19 AM »
Hello Raj-

Seattle native here- Dr. Pritchett left hip 7/16 and right hip 9/18 2018 for both.  The first week can be a bit rough both with pain and movement.  In and out of bed is a challenge- I got around it with just a bed frame and no foot board- that way I could slide straight in and out of bed without turning which uses a lot of the muscles and tissues disrupted in surgery.   I would guess sleeping in a head boarded bed sideways would do the same thing if it is large enough.  I found the oxycotin too heavy after the 2nd day and caused constipation.  Regular ingestion of prunes fixed that by day 4- and milestoned gratefully in the recovery journal.  I was also prescribed Tramadol which I found to be a helpful and effective pain killer w/out the constipation issues.  Taken with acetaminophen and Ibeprofun I found it to work for the first week and I could drop the Tramadol by then.  Don't know who your surgeon is but most seem very intent to help us manage the pain early on as a necessity to healing- we need to be able to start moving early and regularly to get better and pain will impede out recovery.  5 days out you are or should be still on crutches or a walker for the most part.  I was encouraged to put full weight bearing on both my hips right from the PT in the recovery room- a little more difficult with my second procedure for a little while but not more than a week or so.  You might try doing the quad isometrics they probably instructed you in at the hospital.  Like many people I found them very doable and lent themselves to pain reduction and improvement with movement and strength.  If Dr. Pritchett was you surgeon there are a lot of very happy success stories here regarding his work and you will find many folks under his care as well as other doctors that look forward to providing the benefits of their experience.  Best wishes Raj.

rag33

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
Hi Raj, I'm 2.5 months out of right hip replacement. It's sounds to me like you're right on target. I'm gonna admit, it took a good 3-4 weeks before I started to feel some semblance of normal. It took me 3 weeks to be able to sit on the toilet without being scared and I had to help my bad leg into be for a month. The leg slides were tough at the beginning, but push through. Just listen to your body and remember there's a big difference between pain and post-op discomfort.  Once I managed to get through the fear of hurting myself or popping my new hip out of place, it got a lot easier. At 2.5 months out, I just started getting my sock on alone with difficulty. But my limp is gone and so is the pain from before surgery. Keep at the exercises and be kind to yourself :) Good luck! 
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

endodoc

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:55:34 AM »
Thanks Jimbone and rag33,
Thank you for the advice about quad isometrics, Jimbone.  Itís allowing me to be aware of my leg again and also decreasing my paranoia about blood clots (although I am still a bit concerned after reading some of the experiences on this forum).
I had my surgery done by Dr. Pritchett as well.  Iím from Olympia and we are lucky to have him so close.  Today is day 5 post op and I am beginning to see the slightest glimmer of hope.  Still completely reliant on a walker and I think I am more on rag33ís timeline.  I too feel fragile when sitting on the toilet or during any transition.  The bruising, swelling and tightness remind me that it was a major surgery. 
So thankful for the words of encouragement. 
Raj

jimbone

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:05 AM »
Hello Raj-

At 5 days you're practically still in ICU- not really but it likely feels like it.  For most people the first few weeks of re habbing is all about small incremental steps that finally add up to an exponential advance.  Can't move the leg in the abducotor exercise but a 1/2 inch with a lot of discomfort [if even that] for 10 days and all of a sudden 6 inches of slide and it feels right to do so.  I wrote a longer response earlier but it self erased.  Dr. Pritchett is tops- hands down.  You can rely on the fact that he knows exactly what he needs to do and does it.   First week-10 days can be rough but you have been through a lot and the doctor who got you here wouldn't have let you go unless you were going to be ok.  Just going to take a little time.  Ice, stay ahead with the meds, do the isometric PT they gave you at the hospital and a week from now you're probably going to be forgetting to use your crutches around the house.  People here can give you a lot of good advice on getting through.  And his office is great responding to concerns- Susan is well versed in the recovery process and will also be able to advise your concerns.  Stay tuned in here, and keep us informed.  Best.

Poolboy33

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
Hi from Canada, I had my right hip resurfaced on 07/02/19 in London Ontario with Dr. Schemitsch. It was very similar to what you talk about Raj, discomfort but not real pain I think mostly surgical pain really. Getting in and out of bed the first 5 days was the worst it was difficult for sure. I have no problems now and can get in and out without issue. I am off all meds and working on all home prescribed movements many times daily. There is no pain in the joint and I am looking forward to what I can really do soon.
Take Care,
Jason

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Forearm crutches by stevel
Yesterday at 06:19:30 PM

Re: Polyethylene Acetabular cups for resurfacing. by karlos.bell
Yesterday at 02:29:27 AM

Re: Bone Health by Saddlepal3
December 13, 2019, 09:30:26 PM

Re: Bone Health by frigator
December 13, 2019, 04:33:26 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear