+-

Author Topic: 2 week post op - Severe medial (inner) thigh muscle pain/trauma. How, why?  (Read 418 times)

ahausheer

I'm nearing 2 weeks post op and still have fairly severe medial (inner) thigh muscle pain and purple bruising from the groin to the knee and absolutely cannot get through the day without taking 6-8 Norco pain meds.

Why when I stand up does it feel like fluid pressure shoots down the inner thigh muscle and it hurts like hell for a few minutes? 

Also why are these thigh muscles farthest away from the incision damaged so badly?  I did not think they were affected by surgery. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:17:39 AM by ahausheer »

jimbone

Hello Ahausheer-

I don't know if anyone on the forum can give you a definitive answer to the question- even a well trained PT would be working through several possibilities during assessment.  Are you planning to get PT?  It may help you isolate and identify the issue and work up a plan to alleviate it.  I had/have a similar issue with the adductors after the second hip was done.  It had been my "good" hip that probably took a beating compensating for my more deteriorated hip [OA] but went downhill very fast after the first procedure.  During early recovery I had similar- though not matching- pain issues.  At almost 5 months many of the difficulties are much better and I believe will eventually reach a level of function resembling the years prior to the onset of OA but I also expect it to take a full year of hard work in the gym, possibly more PT and regularly scheduled deep tissue massage to get things stretched back out and working well.  Many people are past the point of acute pain at 2 weeks but that's nothing set in stone.  If you need to continue pain meds then use them- I think a lot of people guilt on the reliance of pain meds but if they are a necessary element of your recovery and allow you to do the prescribed re hab exercises diligently then that it the way you recovery is going to go.  2 weeks is still early and recovering has a way of taking very small steps in the beginning and quickly moving forward.  Consistency in doing your prescribed exercises and staying ahead of the pain with ice and meds for another week might just turn the corner for you.  As to the why of it- again hard to say/  Pre operative condition of those muscles and surgical approach and technique come to mind- the leg and the joint are stretched hard and unnaturally resulting in a lot of trauma and sometimes it's just personal anatomy.  It would be best to consult with your surgeon as early as possible to get their perspective if only to ease your concerns.  Maintaining communication with the people here on the forum can be very helpful especially gaining perspective with difficulties in recovery/. Best wishes.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Everyone heals at a different rate. But, if you are so uncomfortable at 2 weeks post op, I would contact my surgeon and ask the questions you asked of us.  He should have answers for you and maybe some recommendations.  At least call his office and ask questions.

I wish you the best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

endodoc

I am also 2 weeks post op as of today.  I also feel the “tightness” and pressure in my thigh which is now progressing to the knee, calf and ankles.  This makes sense as the swelling gravitates down and out.  I am still using a walker and am around 50-75% weight bearing on my operated side (RHR).  There is also pressure discomfort along the incision.  However, I no longer have the dreaded OA pain and I am measuring my progress on a weekly.  Slow and steady. 

ahausheer

Just to update everyone -

I contacted my surgeon and was told not to worry. At 2 weeks post op many people still experience quite a bit of pain and it does not always occur at the surgical sight. As some have commented it can occur basically anywhere in the thigh and even below the knee due to swelling or referred pain.  I also suspect for many years I was guarding the hip and essentially walking with a hidden limp which may have caused some of muscles to be a lot tighter than normal and they may have been overstretched during surgery.

As of this reply I am at three weeks and the pain has come down significantly.  The deeper muscles and tendons on the medial and front of the thigh feel extremely tight and, well, like I got hit with a hammer, but it's getting better and better.

catfriend

Good to hear. Everybody heals differently. The key is that we all do heal.

John C

Hi ahausheer. I had to laugh in response to your comment about feeling like you had been hit with a hammer. In case you have not seen videos of this surgery, you did get hit with a hammer, and more than once; usually a heavy metal mallet to pound the protheses into place. Your choice of an analogy may have been closer to the truth than you realized. :-)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip Talk Moderation

Authority 

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals. 

Complementarity 

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals. 

Privacy 

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all. 
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post. 

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty. 

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible. 

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example. 

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Blurry vision post-op by rday12
June 29, 2020, 10:45:58 PM

Re: Blurry vision post-op by Pat Walter
June 29, 2020, 04:36:07 PM

Blurry vision post-op by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:41:11 PM

Re: 6 days post op how much swelling? by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats