+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 15 years post Op, active, thoughts on longevity  (Read 1041 times)

jamesb_

15 years post Op, active, thoughts on longevity
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »
Hello All!

I had my BHR at the age of 15 due to perthes disease. It has been absolutely fantastic since I have had it. Dr Treacy was my surgeon. I think this year will be a milestone, I will have lived longer with a BHR in my right hip than a normal one!

I have always been active, going to the gym, hiking, cycling (long distances), swimming.

I have recently started up spinning which is fairly intense form of exercise.

I wanted to get some thoughts on whether the intensity of some the exercise e.g. spinning could be taking it a little bit too far? Clearly i'd like the device to last as long as possible as I assume I will require some kind of revision at some point in my life.

Thoughts and feedback welcome!

Thanks!!

John C

Re: 15 years post Op, active, thoughts on longevity
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
Clearly none of us are medical experts, so you will certainly get much more accurate information from Dr Treacy.
Having said that, here are my amateur thoughts. While spinning is a high activity exercise for the muscles and cardio system, I would not consider it a high intensity exercise for the hips compared to activities like running, high level skiing, or tennis which involve much more impact and torquing, so I have trouble imagining a risk to the device.
Since the rapid and repetitive movements in spinning seem similar to the simulation machines that they use to measure wear in different prosthetic designs, increased metal wear and metal ion debris is the one possible issue that I can see. It will certainly not wear out the prosthesis unless you peddled for a few hundred years, but it might raise your metal ion levels to some degree. If you decide to go hard into spinning, you could easily monitor this by doing a metal ion blood test now, and another one in a number of months to see if spinning affected the blood ion levels. Someone like Dr Treacy could arrange the blood tests, and suggest how long to wait before the second test in order to see if there is a significant change.
Lets hope that you keep your resurfacing for a lifetime!
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
James

Thanks for the update.  Congratulations on your 15 year anniversary.  I am so happy that you have been able to have a full, active life. 

Have you been in contact with Mr. Treacy recently?  Do you get blood test from him now and then?

I would talk with him about how much activity could be too much.  Maybe you can talk to his office. I am sure they would like a note about your anniversary.  I know many people are very active and don't seem to have problems. You, however, are so young and I know you don't want a revision.

I don't think you need to be afraid since you are doing so well, but sometimes it is good to think about the future - only my opinion.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jamesb_

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
Very many thanks John and Pat for the recommendations! Quite comforting.

I do actually ensure a yearly check up with hip both for x-ray and blood testing within Dr Treacy's clinic in Birmingham. All looks good and within the normal range. I was advised that spinning should be fine due to the natural lubricant and the fact that it is non weight bearing, but I can't help feel that the intensity of it is something I probably don't need to do endure so I am thinking I will drop it down a bit.

Indeed, I do hope it lasts long time, let's see and fingers crossed.

All the very best to you John and Pat and thanks for your time in messaging back.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat