+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Scott Ball - BHR Resufacing 2019  (Read 1615 times)

Matty S

Dr Scott Ball - BHR Resufacing 2019
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:37:58 PM »
Hello Fellow Hippies,

I going to visit Dr Scott Ball on 3/1/2019 in Encinitas.
1st consultation...
I am a 54 Yr old surf Rat from San Clemente and have had
arthritis in my right hip for about 5 + years. It has gotten to the point
where I cannot surf any more. My range of motion is about 5-10 % of where
it is suppose to be and daily general pain. I have been surfing since I was 10 yrs old
and need it it back in my life for many reasons! I miss being able to surf with
 my family and friends.
I have had a stem cell injection as well as 10-12 weeks of PT with little or no improvement.
My PT and Ortho suggest I get a THR and I have dicovered Hip Resurfacing thru a few friends
 that have had in done to them with great success. Each of the used Dr Su in NYC
In researching docs out here in so cal ...Dr Scott Balls name keeps coming up...
Has any of you had Dr Ball as your surgeon?

From reading his website and watching his videos he seems to be up to date on BHR resurfacing.
Would love to hear any of you that has prior experience with Dr Ball UCSD.

I am hoping I am a good candidate for re-surfacing and that Dr Ball will be the right Doc for me.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

Matty S
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:14:04 PM by Matty S »

DirkV

Re: Dr Scott Ball - BHR Resufacing 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
Hi Matty,
I haven't been on this site in over a year, but I just realized I had an anniversary - 11 years I think, back in 2008. So I checked in out of curiosity.

Dr. Ball did both my hips, and I highly recommend him. So far, so good! The OA is a distant memory. Now it's just age slowing me down :-). But seriously, the surgery has allowed me to regain an active lifestyle. I still play men's league hockey (at 58 yrs old). Ride bicycle fairly seriously. And enjoy hiking (planning a trip to Zion Narrows in a month or so.

Good luck, whatever route you take, and I hope it turns out well for you!
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Matty S

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply...Very encouraging!

During my visit Dr Ball informed me that I am a good candidate forBirmingham HR.
Now I am at the point where I need to schedule this surgery. Finding it hard to pull the trigger.
I am having other Docs tell me that I should stay away from HR and get a THR. I am very active
and am leaning toward the HR procedure do to relatively young age and activity level.

Still dazed and confused.

Rn2md

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
Hey Matty,

Your thoughts sound very familiar as I had similar ones just before my surgery. It’s a tough decision in my opinion, even when you know it’s necessary.
True you could always wait longer, and surgery is always the most extreme option. And once you do it, there’s no turning back. Scary stuff.....
Yet, if you’ve decided surgery is the only definitive solution left for the problem, you’ve tried everything else, and your surgeon says you’re a good candidate, waiting longer will only just delay the results you’re ultimately looking for. Besides, OA won’t get better on its own. It will only remain stable or else worsen. But of course you should only do the surgery when you’re mentally and physically ready, not before.

On my part, I could have limped around longer and continued to do without certain activities for a few more years or longer. But after a lot of thought, I concluded that I had already lost enough precious fun years of vigorous activities due to this frustrating disease. Years that obviously can’t be replaced. So it was time to cut losses and move forward. Hopefully to fully recover what remained of my prime years.

At least that’s what I told myself before pulling the trigger for surgery. So I hope it helps.

I had mine on 3/20/18 with Dr. Gross.

It sounds like you did your homework and found a good surgeon.

Good luck with your decision!

Matty S

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »
Rn2md,

Thanks so much for your response to my post. Sounds like you went thru exactly what I am going thru now.
I like your thinking on trying preserve the precious years that I have left to pursue sporting. And you are right
in saying that once you pull the trigger there is no turning back. I could wait longer and limp around and not surf anymore....
But is not gong to improve on its own and probably just get worse with time.
I think I will move forward and schedule this procedure in the Fall/Winter months so I can at least get the fishing season in and recover over mid winter.

Thanks,
Matty

Rn2md

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:16:58 PM »
So glad that it helped bring some closure on the decision

Looking forward to seeing the recovery posts

I have a detailed recovery story under Dr. Gross’ section that I’ve updated periodically, if interested.

I found it really helpful to read others stories before my own surgery. So I paid it forward.

Good luck with the surgery!

Matty S

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
Scheduled for Hip Re-Surfacing for 11/22/2019 with Dr Scott Ball. Anxious and nervous at the same time.  :o

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat