+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pain in the butt and follow up with surgeon  (Read 1002 times)

rag33

pain in the butt and follow up with surgeon
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm 3 1/2 months post-op. I was wondering about follow-up with the surgeon. Dr. De Smet said he didn't need to see me unless there was a problem. But I have a strange pain in my butt that started 2 days after my run (using the term losely)on Wednesday. I'm following the "resurfacing to 5K" program so taking it really really slowly and keeping an eye on everything. So I'm wondering if I should get in touch with Dr. De Smet or make an appointment with the surgeon here or if I should just stop freaking out cause it's nothing. I don't see my PT til Tuesday. I'm sure like many of you, I've been in pain for so long that I'm not sure what "normal" pain feels like. thanks a lot !
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

ArthriticHip

Re: pain in the butt and follow up with surgeon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »
Hi Newbie - I just passed my one year anniversary. I had my left hip resurfaced with Dr Peter Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic on 2/26/18. My recovery has been incredible, couldn't be happier. I really can't relate to how quickly you're up and running, as my surgeon was so conservative in his recovery recommendations. I wasn't permitted to do any running, jumping, etc. for an entire year. I know most surgeons are closer to full activity at 6 months. I would say that I remember having pretty severe pain in my butt after getting off of crutches at 6 weeks. I wanted to get back up and walking as soon as possible, and tried to just walk through the pain. That was a mistake. I finally just decided to take it easy for a few days and ease my way back into it. That did the trick and it was all down hill from there. I'm now back to jogging and playing golf with zero pain. It's been over a year and I'm still feeling my hip getting stronger and more secure. I know you've probably heard it before, but take you're time. Lots of muscles to heal in there.

Best wishes in your continued recovery.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

rag33

Re: pain in the butt and follow up with surgeon
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Thanks a lot for the input. I know Dr. De Smet is less conservative than others. I realized that it's the scar that was hurting, not the hip itself. That said, I'm taking it really easy. Just happy to be able to run a little bit since a year ago I was having trouble walking ! Good luck in your recovery too  !
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal