+-

Author Topic: PT at 6 weeks  (Read 307 times)

Philbrd

PT at 6 weeks
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
Hi All,
I am 6 weeks post op with Dr. Gross.  I have been following his phase 1 routine closely.  Now I am moving onto his phase 2 exercises.   Things appear to be going very well.   I am walking more than 1.5 miles per day and swimming every other day.  I don't really have much pain, mostly just stiffness after I have been sitting for periods of time. Still a bit of a challenge getting up off the floor.

My question is about formal PT.  know Dr. Gross does not advocate it, but I would like to do both formal PT and his plan.  I feel there is more stretching/strengthening that could be done that does not compromise any of the restrictions.  I think PT could be used to complement his guidelines.  I have a follow up with him in 2 weeks and will be asking if he would endorse this.

Does anyone have thoughts/experience with PT and Dr. Gross rehab?
thanks,
Dan

catfriend

Re: PT at 6 weeks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:01:23 AM »
I was not a patient of Dr. Gross, but of Dr. Pritchett. This is my recommendation. Six weeks is still very early for physical therapy, and it sounds like you are doing well now. I would wait a bit longer until you know what deficits you have that a physical therapist can help with. Once you know what you need help with seek out somebody to help you with that. Without specific deficits and goals just going to a PT to go to a PT is kind of a waste.

John C

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:39:20 AM »
I have had both hips done by Dr Gross; one ten years ago, and one ten months ago.
Before the first hip, Dr Gross explained to me the nightmare incidences he has seen as a result of overly aggressive PTs that did not understand the rehab differences between a THR and a resurfacing. I did not go to a PT at all for therapy that first time, and did extensive hours of PT every day on my own, including gym, pool, hiking, etc. I have had to rehab from a lot of sports injuries over the years, so I have some confidence in structuring my own program. The only time I saw a PT was for the six week evaluation. That PT insisted on pushing the flexion further than I thought was safe that early in the femoral neck fracture risk period, and I had to tell him to back off or he was going to end up flat on the floor.
For this second one, I decided to try PT and found a fellow with a doctorate in PT (which is unusual), who I had a lot of faith in. We had a long talk about the difference  between rehabbing a THR and a resurfacing, went over the surgical procedure and x-rays together so that he was up to speed on resurfacings, and he agreed to adhere strictly to Dr Gross's protocols. I explained all of this to Dr Gross before my surgery, and with those assurances, he agreed to prescribe PT for me, starting at six weeks after surgery, and continuing for 8 weeks. Because it was so soon after surgery, there was not a lot of aggressive work that we could do in the PTs office, but I did get some great ideas that I could ad to my walks and to my own workouts. I would not say that the input was invaluable, but I would say that it was useful.
My only advice would be to assure yourself that any PT you work with is thoroughly knowledgable about resurfacing, and the reasons for a different rehab protocol than with a THR. From my experience, this would limit you to a very small percentage of PTs nationwide, since most have never worked with a resurfacing patient.
Hope that helps.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Philbrd

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
Thanks for the great insights!
Dan

rag33

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
I'll chime in here. Dr. De Smet also doesn't advocate for PT. Walk walk walk was his advice. I followed Dr. Gross' exercises and also have PT from the 1st week after surgery. Most of the exercises I was doing at the beginning were the same as Dr. Gross'. The advantage to having a PT was that he helped me 1) not be scared to do stuff like bending or walking down the stairs and 2)help me with my gait because I was walking like a duck. At 2 weeks, he had me doing strengthening exercises using my body weight and riding the bike/elliptical machine 10 minutes. And at 6 weeks, I was using the leg press. Like John C said, you need to trust the person and they need to know about resurfacing. Good luck !
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Psoas Tendonitis improvement by Jerryt
Today at 09:15:37 AM

Re: FDA approved device and experienced hip resurfacing doctor by stevel
November 15, 2019, 05:22:55 PM

Re: Psoas Tendonitis improvement by jimbone
November 15, 2019, 04:45:20 PM

Re: 8 year Anniversary Tomorrow by Pat Walter
November 15, 2019, 03:40:32 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear