+-

Author Topic: Right hip BHR - Mr Treacy - 29th March  (Read 669 times)

Mouse Potato

Re: Right hip BHR - Mr Treacy - 29th March
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:07 AM »
Hi Folks,

A quick update at the 2 month mark (9 weeks tomorrow).  I saw Mr Treacy last Friday and he is happy with my progress. He said I am about 2 weeks behind the average, which is what he wanted because of my Osteopenia. I was off the walking stick at week 7 and have seen strong improvement over the last 2 weeks or so. 

Last weekend I went to the golf course and didnít play, but walked 11 holes with friends.  Then, on Monday I went to the Championship play off final to watch the mighty Aston Villa beat Derby to reach the Premier league.  That was a long day with a lot of walking and standing during the game.  My leg muscles ached on Tuesday Morning but there were no significant complaints from my new hip.

I still get aches and pains when in bed which disrupts my sleep a little but not too bad.  I also get the aches and stiffness when getting up from a sitting position, but this is getting less by the day.  The exercises are getting a bit easier i.e. I can do the clam shell and side leg lifts although they are still a struggle and can be quite painful.  Range of motion is the slowest to improve and am struggling to put shoes and socks on. Shoes I can do when sitting on the stairs and socks I have to bend my foot up behind me and put them on that way.  I just need to keep up with the stretches.  I think limited ROM is the reason for my very slight limp because the leg doesnít naturally lift high enough on the forward step. 

So, I am pleased with the way things are going and I hope to be back on the golf course in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for reading.
Russ

PMac

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
Hi Russ

Iím late to your thread as now that Iím three and a half years in and pretty much perfect again I donít come visiting here as often as I used to. Great news itís all going well. Sounds like you are making great progress, the worst bit is over now and it should only get better from here.

I genuinely donít remember the pain and lack of movement 99% of the time.

Keep up the good work!

Paul
Age 46, LBHR 54mm head 13th Nov 2015 by Mr Stephen Eastaugh-Waring, Spire hospital, Bristol UK

Rn2md

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 12:03:13 AM »
I also had delays in recovery for the same issue. Just keep working the hip abductors and building the reps, sets and weights as tolerated. Donít go too quickly, but keep the slow and steady progressive increases. The stiffness and pain will resolve and the limp will go away first, as soon as a certain level of strength is recovered. After that, walking speed and agility start to come back more, in proportion to your lower body strength recovery.
I used the ankle weights and then hip abductor machines in the gym, as soon as I could handle body weight side leg raises.
At 4 months, Iím doing light squats on the smith machine with less than 100 lb for 20 rep sets.
I still feel mildly uncomfortable stiffness and soreness when I push it on abduction, but it seems to be working itself out over time.

Mouse Potato

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Hi folks,

It's just over 6 months for me now so time for an update. Firstly thanks for the responses to my last post, the advice has been invaluable.

For anyone considering resurfacing, and reading these stories, I can say that the operation, for me, has been life changing. Walking without pain, without a limp, and getting back to golfing without pain has been amazing. I'm not going to say that it is like having a normal hip again because I don't think it will ever quite get there but after 6 months it feels at 80-90%.

Mr Treacy told me I could start running at 6 months. I want to start but 4 weeks ago I did my knee in on a golfing holiday in Turkey (the other leg). I think it's a meniscus tear and it's taking its sweet time to heal. I think because I am swinging without pain now I am putting more power into it, which has taken its toll on my knee. I need to strengthen all my muscles in the gym because I think they have wasted after 12 years of OA.

My range of motion is improving but still has a way to go. I have been a bit lazy and neglected the stretching exercises. Putting shoes and socks on is now manageable though and my wife is pleased she doesn't have to cut my toenails any more!

The best thing is I rarely think about my hip during day to day stuff. I sometimes concentrate on my gait when walking as i have been told by one person that I have a very slight limp still. I'm not aware of it, and there is no pain so it is probably habitual.

My wife tells me that my mood has changed hugely for the better and that I seem to have a much more positive outlook on life. I think she is right.

So, next steps are to get my knee sorted, then get on the exercise machines and start training for that Tough Mudder next year. I'm not sure whether I'll make it or not but it won't be for want of trying!

Thanks for reading.
Russ

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements