+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fosamax  (Read 647 times)

frigator

Fosamax
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
I am 15months post op from Dr Gross resurfacing with the slow protocol and have been taking fosamax every since the operation. I am sick of taking it, first thing in the morning when all I want is  my coffee.. Its seems my bones are making a lot more noise when  they crack now, turning my neck etc. I would think my implant should be grown in by now so can I stop the fosamax?  Has anyone had an improvement in their Dexa scan from taking this drug?

Saddlepal3

Re: Fosamax
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Hi there,
I took Fosamax for 5 years, then stopped because protocol recommends that (to avoid fractures). I think Fosamax slowed down my bone thinning, but it didn’t improve it significantly. I am osteopenia. In Sept 2018, I had a revision of my 2006 resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett. He suggested that I take a 4 month course of Tymlos. He warned me that it would be out of protocol (since it is approved for severe osteoporosis patients) and would be out of pocket and expensive; however, Tymlos (and Forteo) have been proven to actually stimulate bone growth. I decided to go ahead with it. Just completed the course, but can’t get a Dexa until 2020. Am hopeful that I will see some improvement.

My understanding is that our implants are only as good as the bone that holds them in place. I have a THR on one side and a HR on the other, so I want to preserve my bones.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat