+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Return to football?  (Read 5509 times)

joshb7_

Return to football?
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
Hi,

Had my right hip resurfaced June 2018. I am 30 years old and looking to get back into playing sport, running and especially playing football both 11 a-side and 5 a-side.

I've returned to light jogging (about ten mins) but feel kicking, cutting and sprinting are a still miles off.

I'm doing legs work in the gym a couple times a week but still feel bringing my knee into chest and rotation not fully there.

Does anybody have any experience in returning to football post surgery? Is it a matter of patience or trying to accelerate the process and start kicking balls?

Ps. My left hip now feels on the wane with fai impingement and limited range of motion.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

jimbone

Re: Return to football?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
Hello Josh-

Came across this and I wanted to see if there were any rugby players on this forum.  Don't know if you mean rugby or NFL football when you ask about getting back in.  Hoping you meant rugby.  I just witnessed my first rugby match yesterday at the Western Championships being held over on Portland Ave. in Tacoma, WA.  All I can say is it was one of the most athletic displays of coordination, athleticism and brute human endurance I've ever seen.  These dude were unbelievable and honestly made the NFL really look like a bunch of overpaid, over protected bunch of wimps.  The rugby guys body slammed, tackled, dragged each other to the ground with bone snapping force and not much more than a pair of shorts and some cleats.  No mouth guards, helmets, thigh pads, shoulder pads- just mind boggling to me.  And the running and ball passing- they could cut, turn, spin and evade their tacklers like they were wired- you don't see that kind of running even in college games anymore and the speed these guys could turn on with a switch was again, just incredible.  I've participated in some pretty physical martial arts but I felt absolutely humbled watching the game.  Can't fathom how the field isn't covered in blood and stretcher bearers by the end of the game.  To answer your question Josh- if you were playing before surgery you must have been a hell of an athlete and in great shape. If your doctor cleared you for this wild mayhem he must have been pretty confident in his own work but my hat is off to you for even wanting to get back out on the field and push that envelope.  If you run across this I'd be glad to hear how things panned out for you.  I'm about the same stage of recovery, but 34 years older and truth is I was wincing just watching these guys play.  But they sure looked like they were having fun.  I should mention- I am bilateral HR and I know what you mean about the knee to the chest- at 10.5 months it's getting there but not strong yet and jogging is just beginning to work for me as well.

Mouse Potato

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:31:56 AM »
Hi Jimbone,

I am fairly certain that Josh is talking about Association Football (Soccer).  I used to play a lot until the OA kicked in.  I am tempted to play again, if the hip allowed, but with my sensible head on... I am 52 now and is it really worth the risk?  I have my golf to enjoy now and it's probably best to leave the football in the past although it would be nice to a have a kick about in the park.

Russ

joshb7_

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
Thanks for your replies..

I was talking about soccer. My hip is slowly getting better at kicking but still so much back pain on all activities and even standing/sitting for long periods. Right in the sacro iliac joints. My right hip flexor still causes me sharp pain when flexed part 90 in sudden movements so it seems my muscle pattern/strength or whatever it is is still all messed up.

If anyone has any successful stories of returning to soccer I would like to hear please?

My left hip is arthritic and needing a replacement so it seems right now there are too many battles to be won before I can dream of returning yet.

jimbone

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 10:29:33 PM »
Josh-

Often times people with a second hip going south experience both back difficulties and problems in either the operated or other hip.  Seems to have a lot to do with compensation and overworking one limb or muscle group.  Wouldn't surprise me to find some problem with the SI joint if your left hip is going out on you and your body is making all kinds of compensations.  Might be talking with a surgeon for their opinion of PT, massage or even chiropractic until you're ready for the second hip surgery.  Best of luck.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear