+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Increased length by 4mm on resurfaced side  (Read 1209 times)

Rn2md

Increased length by 4mm on resurfaced side
« on: April 07, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
So my left leg was slightly lengthened by the resurfacing. I’m wondering if that could be contributing to some of the soreness in the quads and the slight awkwardness in gait that I notice when walking.
I’m wondering if it might help one or both problems to put an insert into the opposite shoe.

John C

Re: Increased length by 4mm on resurfaced side
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
Once again, I can relate to your experience. When my first hip was resurfaced 10 years ago, it came out 4mm longer. At the time, Dr Gross suggested that he would even me out by adjusting that same 4mm in the other leg which he expected would need to be resurfaced within a year or two. Instead I held out for 10 years, but in that second surgery 11 months ago, he did lengthen my second hip by a matching amount, so I am now even.
During the 10 year interim, I did eventually end up putting a lift in my shoes for walking around and tennis. It did not bother me during water sports or skiing, so I did not adjust for those. I did not start using a shoe lift on the other side until about six or seven years out, but once I tried it, I appreciated the difference, and continued using the lifts right up to the recent surgery, after which they were no longer needed.
I have had the same theory that the lengthening may have caused the temporary IT band and other lateral soreness. My theory is that muscles that operate just in the anterior or posterior planes are constantly changing length as we move, but those running down the lateral side of the leg are under a fairly constant stress from the lengthening. This issue went away with time as these structures gradually stretched out to accommodate the extra length.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Rn2md

Re: Increased length by 4mm on resurfaced side
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
Agreed. I think the lengthening must preferentially place more stress on the IT band and vastus lateralis, such that those structures may get disproportionately sore for given levels of activity. (Until they adapt, that is)
I tried putting an insert in the opposite shoe, and I think it makes a difference.
I do feel more balanced when I walk. To some extent the improvements can also be explained by continued healing, which seems to be happening more quickly now.
So I guess I’ll be using shoe inserts from now on.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear