+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Competitive Pole Dancer!  (Read 2332 times)

aimeematthews

Competitive Pole Dancer!
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »
Not sure if there are any out there like me... I got my HRA done at 43 almost 9 years ago. After my first year of post-op recovery I decide to try pole dancing on a whim. 7 years later I compete and perform at a very high level and can do things I never thought I could. I am 51 now and regularly compete against women half my age.

My flexibility training has progressed to the point of being able to do over split on my non surgical hip and a 90% flat spit on the repaired one! I can now do full middle splits as well which I could not do before my surgery.

My only negative thought is what I am going to do when the hip wears out? Thinking of losing all that hard work to gain so much flexibility makes me sad...

Dr. Gross performed my surgery for me and obviously did an outstanding job. He may remember me as the crazy post -op 3 week visit lady who walked into the appointment wearing 5 inch wedge heels...lol., I said what, you didn't tell me I couldn't wear heels.
Sabra Pole Slayer

blinky

Re: Competitive Pole Dancer!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
This post is meaningless without pictures....

Seriously, that is a great story. Next time someone is asking for tips on how to regain range of motion, you should answer.

jimbone

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
Aimee-

Watched your competition tape of the 2018 Southern Championship.  All I can say is WOW!!.  Your strength and flexibility are phenomenal and your ROM is nearly supernatural.  Truly astonishing and inspiring.  Also inspired me to do a quick research of the history of dance traditions and I would venture that American pole dancing is an extension of a centuries old universal tradition that has included Mujra, Belly Dancing, Ghawaze, Hula, CanCan, Nautch and Tanwaif, and venture further that of them all your performance might very well be the most athletic [although that might be a case of cultural bias].  The irony is that I thought I was making progress getting back to being able to tie my shoes standing up.  I hope you medalled with that routine, you deserved it.  Your worries about wearing out your hip may be an unneeded concern.  There are recent posting from people who had the hip/s resurfaced all the way back to 1999 and going strong with no indication of failure.  The devices aren't always at fault, often it is a matter of anatomy or loss of muscle support for the device.  You don't look like you're in any risk of lost muscle tone.

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
 :) Cool stuff Aimee.
Go for it.
Pretty simple if your hip is well positioned it may never I say never wear out as Jim Bone says.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat