+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR needs revision to THR  (Read 1400 times)

Grimbo

BHR needs revision to THR
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
I had my left BHR in 2008 and my right BHR in 2014. The new one has always had issues.. clunking, squeaking etc..

For the last few years I've been in a great deal of pain with my newest hip. Basically I can't stand for any more than a few minutes and can't walk any distance (and even turning in my sleep can be painful).

I've had X-rays, an MRI, a CT scan and ultrasound scans but my surgeon can's see anything wrong with the hip.

He has therefore said the only option is to revise it to a THR.

My worry is though that since they can't see anything wrong, is this THR going to fix the problem!

I'm in a life altering amount of pain so I need to do something - but I do feel like he just sees this as an easy option rather than finding the real cause of the pain!

jimbone

Re: BHR needs revision to THR
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
Grimbo

Frankly I think the doctor is either shirking or short sighted and you need a second and possibly third opinion.  It is puzzling to me why doctors don't automatically consult with one another when they are stumped.  A fresh unbiased set of eyes might reveal the problem.  Your current condition is unacceptable and your concerns for a THR are understandable.  Get your imaging over to one of the top doctors listed on the site and get their evaluation.  The outcome to your dilemma could provide guidance to others with a similar set of circumstances.  Best of luck and keep us informed.

John C

Re: BHR needs revision to THR
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
I agree with everything you and jimbone said. You have done a great job of collecting all of the diagnostic information, and if it were me, I would submit all of that information to the top surgeons until someone comes up with a diagnosis and a solution to fit. It is possible that the problem is isolated to either the femoral or acetabular side, and it that can be determined, there may be the possibility of just revising the problem side. It is possible that both components need to be revised, but it might be worth the time to explore a lot of opinions in hopes of discovering the nature of the problem before moving ahead with the surgery.
If you cannot find any answers, you will find stories on this site of people who have had revisions to THRs with very successful outcomes.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM