+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 11 years after  (Read 745 times)

KurtWBL

11 years after
« on: April 18, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »
It is now just over 11 years from resurfacing of my right hip. And for the first time I'm starting to feel some pain radiating from stepping or pushing off while walking. I'm making an appointment to see my surgeon for follow-up but it got me thinking how many people have had a resurfacing over 10 years? I also have my left hip resurfaced and it is over 12 years go. But its working just fine.

jimbone

Re: 11 years after
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
You won't know much until after your surgical consultation and there are numerous other possible causes for the pain you are experiencing so it's probably best to see what imaging has to offer.  Do you notice a difference before or after any particular exercise?  Does any particular exercise make it feel stronger/better/less painfull?  I'm thinking a muscle/soft tissue issue could be addressed w/out surgery.  What type of prosthetic do you have?  I'm less than a year out after having both hips done and like most people very pleased with the results yet realize there are few guarantees in life accepting that as a risk of the procedure.  I have one friend who needed revision to their HR after about 8 years and a THR on the other hip.  They mentioned a few aches and pains but attribute most of it to age factors and over doing it at the gym.  Keep us informed on how things go.  Best wishes.

Saf57

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
There are many thousands of people that are more than ten years out from a resurfacing, without issues. There are some on this site, myself included(16 years). Aside from this anecdotal data, there are published studies out there on long term survival rates, I forget if there are links on this site, but you can find them. 10+ year survival rates from the top surgeons are excellent. Best of luck to you. Hopefully your present issues are not implant related.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:05:10 PM by Saf57 »

KurtWBL

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »
Thanks for replies. I'm going to get a follow-up with surgeon. Both hips are BHR one done in 2007 the other 2008. I've been active since and enjoyed years of just little pains now and then. And bouts of strange sounds coming from them. But nothing that was consistent at all till now. This is a completed different feel and is centered deep in the joint. It is most present from pushing off and slight pivoting on the hip. We'll see what they find.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear