+-

Author Topic: When to have a the second hip resurface am I too early ?  (Read 614 times)

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
When to have a the second hip resurface am I too early ?
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »

Any advice welcome !

Second hip resurface booked 6 years to the day from the first resurface done on the 20th August 2013 by Mr Mcminn

I have been sensing my right hip is failing for some time , I appreciate we all know when its time, especially on the first hip as we generally go to the point of severe pain and being fully immobile before giving in. My question is one of knowing what happens has made me book the replacement sooner whilst the pain and immobility are mild in terms of hip pain and failure. I know it is gradually getting worse so I see no point suffering for months before I feel it is justified , I do feel I may be bailing out early, just wondered if others faced the same thoughts ?

The 1st resurfaced left performs great , Right hip is failing , as is my right knee but that will hold out for a while longer !

Thanks  to all .

Chris
Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

jimbone

Re: When to have a the second hip resurface am I too early ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Hi Chris-

I was one of those that held out until I could basically no longer function.  My left hip was so bad I spent most of my time in a chair- working in the shop was reduced to taking 3 times as long to get 1/4 as much done, literally needing to lean on surfaces to get around.  I got occasional pangs in the right hip and knew the x rays showed OA so expected a second surgery.  As it happened within a month of my first HR the right hip just gave it up and quickly.  Maybe it was because of all the extra load it had been carrying.  My doctor scheduled the second HR for 8 weeks after the first.  It was a bit more difficult recovery but a 7 and 9 months I am doing very well and glad to be recovering my capabilities.  OA can deteriorate the joints very quickly- if you know you're due or going to be, my opinion would be get it done.  Doesn't get easier as you get older- maybe even harder.  If your surgeon is willing, why wait?  Best of luck to you.

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
Once my BHR hip settled down and became normal, I found my other, left, decided to play up. At first I thought it could be a year away or something like that.

But actually, I presume through use and building up my conditioning and strength, I am now happy to say that I could be a few years away. Sure after golf for 5 days solid with running, range time, walking dog and life generally it says it needs a rest. But heck, I'm nearly 50, a rest day every few days is surely sensible.

So, is it time? What will you gain? Are you prevented from certain quality of life things presently, or just need to take a day's rest here and there? If the latter, my view (my default view) would be push it out. But if it is preventing exercise, pleasurable pastimes etc (preventing) then time has come. In particular if you're losing sleep, waking in pain or by pain during night, that's a very good indicator. If not sure about the sleep one, drink plenty water and not much else for a day or two whilst minimising salt intake, and if you still wake for 2 or 3 bathroom visits ... I would wager it's the hip.

Good luck either way. McMinn is a fine surgeon as you know, and I would feel confident for your successful outcome.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

SW27

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
 I did the opposite the right hip(first one)done probably 2-3 years too late. When I was doing the consultation with Gross day before the first surgery I decided to schedule the second one. Maybe it was a year so too early but with the insurance stuff going on cost wise it was way cheaper then the first one($5k cheaper)and also overlapped my recovery. So I'm just about 8 months full recovery vs being down 6 months two times. I didn't want to do the bilateral back to back and the 8 weeks in between worked out beautifully so far. I'm 7 weeks post op on the 2nd side and did my follow up with xrays and checkup. I also decided to do a little PT. I go once a week and just work on the exercises they give at home as well, along with walking and spinning on the trainer.
right side Bio-Met Gross 1/4/19
  left side Bio-Met Gross 3/4/19

John C

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »
Not an easy decision. When I had my first one done, the surgeon asked if I wanted the second one done at the same time, based on the x-rays. I ended up putting it off for 10 years. The last 5 years were pretty painful, with a nasty limp. I kept putting it off because my priority was whether I could still pursue my daily sports with reasonable performance, and put up with the pain with enough stubbornness and acetaminophen. The last year, I could still do my sports, but the pain was often fairly severe, and non-stop.
What held me back was the small chance of something going wrong with the second surgery that could eliminate my sports activities, and as long as I could do them through the pain, that was preferable for me.
If not for that one factor, I would have done my second hip five years ago, and saved myself a lot of pain. The only reason that I could see someone holding off now if their hip is interfering with their priorities, especially for females, is to wait a year or two and see how the newer Ceramic, and ceramic on poly resurfacings work out.
Best of luck on whatever you decide.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:56:25 AM »
I appreciate the advice its good to hear different views and outcomes , not always easy to decide if the pain and loss of movement is in your head or down to the hip ..

Keeping a close eye on everything now , water and exercise are on the hit list for sure.

Many thanks,

Chris
Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

daveabood

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 10:44:19 AM »
I got my left hip BHR'd two years after my right hip. When I had the first one done, it was down to bone on bone and severe daily pain. For some reason my left hip hung on to a whisper of cartilage for two more years, but it became clear when it was time to go in as I was again reaching the level of daily pain and limited activities. I'm now ten days post op and feeling great in my recovery. I did wrestle with feelings of doubt, am I giving in too soon, rushing to get #2 done because of my great outcome with #1, etc...Ultimately, I decided to get it done, put an end to the pain and limitations sooner rather than later, and get on with life....and I'm thrilled that I did!  Good luck!
Right BHR March 2017, Left BHR May 2019
Cleveland Clinic - Brooks

jimbone

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »

It looks like most people here struggle with doubt about the surgery- 1st or second.  A friend of mine who underwent an extraordinarily invasive spinal surgery told me when we were discussing our mutual orthopedic woes and the decisions we needed to make, "When the pain gets bad enough you'll get the surgery".  While that is true, given the success I and so many others experience with HR, the continuing improvements in surgical technique, device design, medications and pain reduction and the entire learning curve I find it hard not to be a strong advocate to recommend those suffering OA pain to get the surgery and regain their lives.  It certainly has given me  my life back.  In my workout yesterday I am finally beginning to run [jog] more naturally and without any pain/discomfort for short distances, and most gratefully I have just this week begun to sense and demonstrate a modicum of agility in foot work and lateral quick response I was not sure would ever return.  My sense of it is I will be able to continue to heal and recover to whatever level my pre-surgical self would ever had accomplished with only a very few prosthetic related restrictions.  Hope you recover well and quickly and if there are tough days remember they're only bumps in the road.

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear