+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Airline Travel  (Read 1182 times)

jimbone

Airline Travel
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:54:14 AM »
I fly to Florida next Monday.  What am I in for with security?

blinky

Re: Airline Travel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:11:53 AM »
From where?

Not a big deal. Just tell them you have a metal hip. Every airport is a little different in how they handle it. Some will send you through the body scanner, others will try the metal detector and then if you set it off, will wand you or pat you down.

I don't set off the metal detector at the local sports stadium, but always have at the airport.

Worst experience? Tel Aviv. Young TSA agent who couldn't understand that my metal was INSIDE my body. She kept telling me to take it out. She was nice enough, but ended up calling a supervisor. He got it. (And I explained in both Hebrew and English....maybe too young to know that people have fake body parts?)

Saddlepal3

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
Agree with Blinky. If the airport has full body scanners, you can ask to go through them. If they scan you instead, it takes a few more minutes. It’s great if you have a traveling companion to collect your belongings from the conveyer. Always smart to minimize the number of items you are carrying with you.

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
That sounds easy enough.  I'll only have a carry on and maybe a laptop.  I expect more security in Seattle as I hear that the Tampa airport is well organized and easy to transit.

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
You'll just be directed to the transporter tube. No big deal. If you can find blinky's original account of the security agent who wanted her to take out her implants it's hilarious. Didn't know that part was in Israel, though.

RebeccaT

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:50:52 PM »
Just had my 2nd one 6 weeks ago. 1st never set off the detector except in a few intl locales. 2nd def does (or two combined).

The only thing that drives me crazy is that most of the time if I say I have metal in my hip, they send me thru the metal detector anyway. It beeps, and they ask if I have on a belt, or something in my pockets, or if it's my shoes (I have precheck). Finally they either wand or let me go through the scanner and figure it out for themselves.

I've never been delayed. Just amused and annoyed.
Right Hip - Dec 11, 2015 - Dr Gross

Joe_CA

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »
I went to a sporting event last year with my son. They had a body scanner/metal detector device for people to walk through. I walked through and it beeped. Two security guards approached me. I said: "Oh, sorry gents. Let me take my cell phone and keys out of my pockets. My bad." I walked through again. *Beep Beep*. "Oh, perhaps it's this loose change." Let's try again. *Beep Beep*. Then it dawned on me that I have two metal hips. I totally forgot! Lol. The security staff looked at me like I was more or less a moron. :-). So the only advice I can provide is to not forget about your fake hip(s)!
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Rn2md

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
I had a domestic flight recently and have TSA precheck clearance.
I simply said that I had a “Metal Hip replacement”, knowing they wouldn’t have a clue about a resurfacing, and asked them what they would like for me to do.
They pointed to the body scanner and I went right through. No delays whatsoever. That was at FLL.
I’m sure not all airports are that easy. Or maybe it’s the TSA Precheck

jimbone

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »
Security clearances with the new hips wasn't a problem at all.  Blinky's story tops the lot for humor and absurdity.  I'd like to be on the viewing end of the full body scanner tube- what exactly do they see?  Our skeletons?  If I were a frequent flyer I might be concerned enough to research what gamma rays I am being exposed to.  Even the dentist takes precautions against over exposure.  I need to look into the technology they use for scanning.  Thinking about it now, I wonder how much headache is involved if one ever has to go to traffic court.  They usually only have metal detectors in local municipalities and some of the court security forces are even less perceptive than untrained Israeli TSA people.

RebeccaT

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
Funny I just today got mail from Dr Gross' office with two small cards ... One says the bearer of this card has had joint replacement (and then goes on to talk about antibiotics and dental procedures/surgery). The other is a small x-ray of my hips with the implants.

The letter says the cards "may be useful in letting security personnel know..." but are not necessary and basically won't help you with TSA.

(Oh it also says the cards are a courtesy and for showing interested family and friends.)

While it's kind of neat, I am not sure I really want to share that much :)  But I can see it might be helpful in a foreign airport where language is an issue.
Right Hip - Dec 11, 2015 - Dr Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
My experience with airports is that when you tell them you have a replacement is that either they send you to the tube where they x-ray you, or, you get felt up like your wedding night.  I tried the card several times that I got from Dr. Gross, they looked at me like I had 3 eyes.

It's really not a big deal, just make sure you tell them first.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 02:58:59 AM »
They normally just direct me to the scanner and are not normally interested when I tell them I have a metal hip. As far as they are concerned you either pass the scanner or you dont. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

And Blinky in Tel Aviv story doesn't surprise me at all. Lovely country, lovely people, absurdly paranoid airport staff. Long before my hip surgery was repeatedly questioned by numerous staff on having stamps from Kazakhstan and UAE and the fact my passport photo was 9 years old and I was a little slimmer in person!

phillwad

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »
I fly for work - couple of trips a week. Always use the body scanner, TSA Precheck so I can keeps shoes on. I always take my belt off as they send me back if wearing it. Do not know why but my left knee gets checked most times.
I tried to use the doctor provided card once - TSA did not have any interest.
Both my hips done 2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat