+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: THR yesterday  (Read 1936 times)

Justa Bill

THR yesterday
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:41:43 PM »
THis post is copied from my post in the Martial Arts section:
What a day yesterday was...
I checked into the hospital at 5:30 am. I left the hospital at 5:30 pm. And had a hip replaced and PT all in that time.  Modern medicine is amazing. According to the surgeon and his PA, the surgery went without a hitch.

Unfortunately, my leg is VERY sore today. The doc used the Direct Anterior approach for the procedure. That way, he didn't need to cut any muscles or tendons. But my thigh is SCREAMING today. Is that normal?
Also, my knee is hurting whenever I put weight on it. Is that normal?

P.S.
My surgeon is Michael Jacobs and the hospital was Union Memorial in Baltimore.

Justa Bill

Re: THR yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 12:05:57 PM »
Four days Post-Op.

I can now get by only using a cane for short walks to the kitchen, bathroom, etc. However, there is still a lot of soreness and swelling in my right thigh.
Here is a breakdown of the Hardware Dr Jacobs installed:

Stem: Zimmer-Biomet Taperloc Microplasty
Acetabulum: Zimmer-Biomet Regenerex
Liner:  Zimmer-Biomet ARCOMXL 36mm
Head: Zimmer-Biomet Cobalt-Chrome 36mm
And here is an x-ray of my new hip:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:13:16 PM by Justa Bill »

Justa Bill

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:52:12 PM »
Hip Replacement Update:

Well, it's been one week since receiving my new hip. My left leg is still VERY sore but improvements are still happening. I am now able to stand and get up quite easily. I can walk between rooms unassisted, although slowly. The exercises I was given to do for PT are getting a little easier.
However, I had to go to the podiatrist yesterday because the compression socks I have to wear caused my toes to squeeze together and I got an ingrown toenail. The podiatrist removed part of the toenail so that is a bit sore now, too. That had to be done because infections are a very serious deal after hip replacements. If an infection makes it's way into the new hip, it means the hip will need to be removed.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:41:38 AM »
Yes, infections are a big deal for any prosthetic joint. You may need to be proactive in the years ahead regarding this issue. Doctors tend to be reluctant to prescribe antibiotics, but an infection at the prosthesis site can be a disaster. The first 6 weeks are highest risk, according to my surgeon, but the risk remains high for a year and never completely goes away.

Justa Bill

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:50:09 AM »
2 Week Post Hip Replacement update.

The past week, and especially the past few days have been pretty good. I've been able to spend a little time on the exercise bike. I'm walking much better. The swelling is down quite a bit. And the pain in my Lateral and lower thigh are almost gone. However, over the past few days I've developed quite a bit of pain in my hip adductors (inner thigh/groin). I don't know if it's just normal soreness or if there is some tendonitis developing. I would normally stretch the muscles and do some light exercises for them, but adductor stretches have been forbidden as they would risk dislocating my new hip.

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
Try self massage.  I had similar issues, a cross fiber drubbing [like playing a stringed instrument] is an effective technique.  I also used a Thumper percussive massage tool- very high quality piece of equipment that helped.  That particular symptom took several months to really get squared away along with the rectus femoris.  Did the full routine- basic PT, self massage, thumper session every morning before getting up for first 4-5 months.  Found consistency and patience key.

Mikek

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »
Sounds like your recovery is going well, actually.  Just over 6 months out for me, and I still get some inner thigh pain.  I didn't have this during my last recovery 10 years ago, but I had been walking progressively more duckfooted on this one for years to ease pain in the hips.  If you did the same, you'll have some 'rearranging' pains as you walk normally again.  Lateral thigh pain was a limitation in my walks during weeks 2 to 5; that muscle had shortened over the years of duckfooting.  That has resolved, and the groin pain is less and less frequent and intense.  So you may not just be recovering from surgery, but from walking funny.
I remember early on in both recoveries thinking that recovery pains are sooo much better than that bone on bone grind.  Currently, I'm climbing, hiking, and playing basketball again. 

Justa Bill

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:02 PM »
I completely agree that the recovery pains are so much better than the bone on bone pain pre-surgery. THank you for your input!!

Justa Bill

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
The most difficult thing about having a hip replacement is the utter feeling of uselessness I have. I'm accustomed to always being active. Working out, training and teaching martial arts, doing projects around the house and working at my job. But since the surgery, I haven't been able to do hardly anything. I really don't like this feeling.
I think a bit of depression is setting in and I'm not quite 3 weeks out.  :(

jimbone

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:05 AM »
You're best to assume the next 12-16 weeks will be more of the same with ever increasing small steps toward health, recovery and function.  Your training in martial arts will have prepared you for this.  Imagine a 17th century injury from a sword and their medical practices and recuperation protocols.  Except it will be better but not that much. What MA did you say you studied?

Justa Bill

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 07:00:49 AM »
Taekwon-do, Muay Thai, Arnis.

I think the problem, in part, is the weight gain from inactivity and the lack of endorphines from the constant exercise I'm used to getting. Sitting still does not suit me. lol

Justa Bill

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:40 AM »
3 weeks:

So now I'm just over 3 weeks out from THR.. I'm not really noticing any improvements beyond the reduction in swelling in the thigh and incision area. Which is also the problem. My quadriceps still hurt like crazy when I walk. If I stand up and just stand in one place, it isn't bad. But it seems the actual act of walking is VERY painful. And the pain seems to originate under or around the incision. My quads also feel like they are knotting up. I've been icing and massaging them, manually. But it only has a minimal effect.
Could it be that the scar tissue is irritating the muscles? Is any of this normal?

Saddlepal3

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 09:16:20 AM »
Sorry that you’re still in so much discomfort. Did your surgeon use the anterior or posterior approach? Typically (as if anyone is really typical), the anterior approach has a shorter early recovery process than posterior although both approaches are considered equally effective long term. 3 weeks post op is still very early. Do you have a home health visiting nurse and/or physical therapist. After my THR, I had both coming to my house for several weeks. More than anything else, they reassured me that my progress was on track.
From my non-expert perspective, I’d say that your pain is within the normal range; however, you might want to contact your doctor’s PA for reassurance. Good luck.

Justa Bill

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
It was direct anterior approach. I also don't have any physical therapy only a set of exercises I was told to do twice a day.
I did call the PA today and he assured me that all of my symptoms were "classic". So that allayed my concerns a bit. But I'm really getting frustrated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:25:08 PM by Justa Bill »

Rn2md

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Sorry you’re still having these issues. Not as familiar with THR or with the anterior approach as I mainly gathered info on the posterior approach HR. Difficult to compare given the significant differences.

I can definitely say that the ice machine with elevation really helped with swelling and I used it religiously for several weeks post op. As a result, my swelling and soreness beyond the first week was pretty minimal.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:57:30 PM by Rn2md »

Saddlepal3

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 09:41:37 AM »
Glad that you spoke with the PA. The first 6 weeks can be tough, menatlly as well as physically. You just want to feel better. At 3 weeks post THR, I was able to take short (very) walks outdoors with my walker. I also was elevating and icing a lot. I was off heavy duty painkillers, but I definitely needed Tylenol. Maybe ask if you are allowed to go for a brief jaunt outdoors with a companion? Might lift your spirits a bit?

Justa Bill

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »
4 Week update:

So, I'm finally feeling some noticeable relief. I can walk room to room without help (generally) and I'm down to taking 2 Alleve a day to control the soreness. For longer walks or if I go to the store, I'm still using a cane. Standing is not painful, just walking.
 Here's the odd thing. Whenever I stand up and start walking it's always a crap-shoot of WHERE the soreness is going to be. Sometimes it's my lateral thigh near my knee.. Sometimes it's my inner thigh. Sometimes it's near my groin. Sometimes it's near the incision site. I'm not kidding, it changes every time I get up.
I feel really gross, though. I'm an athlete and used to working out/training 2-4 hours a day. But since January that hasn't been possible and I've gained about 15-20lbs.. I NEED to get better so I can lose this weight... :(

Justa Bill

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
6-Week Post Surgery Update:

Met with my surgeon late last week. He's not thrilled that I'm still using a cane. But said that I have some trochanter bursitis and gave me a cortizone injection. Said the lingering thigh and groin pain that I have is relatively common and sees no reason it won't clear up.  However, he said that he does want me off work until late July.

Had a rough weekend with groin pain but that seems to have cleared up a bit. But the lateral thigh pain is still quite debilitating. Still using a cane for the most part. But the pain IS more focused into a smaller and smaller region.
As I stated previously, my surgeon wants me to be off work until the end of July. So I contacted the company that handles Disability claims for my employer and they think I should return to work sooner. I have a feeling a fight is brewing. I may need to get my union involved as well.
If I return to work, even on "light duty" (desk job) it could hinder my recovery as being sedentary will weaken my leg and hip and cause them to stiffen up. On the other hand, climbing/standing on ladders and crawling around on the floor is just asking for me to dislocate the new joint. Especially if I were to take a fall.

Justa Bill

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:30 AM »
7 Week Update:

It doesn't seem like anyone is reading these posts so this may be the last one.

Well, I've taken about 5 steps backwards over the past few days. I don't know why, but I am dealing with some very intense pain in my left leg over the past few days. I'm now back to using crutches and the pain is intense. I'm back to having to take oxycodone to be able to sleep. The pain starts at the hip and encompasses my entire thigh and down to my knee. I have an appointment to see my surgeon on Wednesday afternoon, but I'm beginning to regret having this surgery.
And the scary thing is, I'm supposed to go back to work in two weeks. I have no idea what I'm going to do now.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
I am sorry to hear you are having problems. Some people just have slow recoveries whether it is THR or hip resurfacing.  Hopefully your surgeon will get some x-rays and see what could be wrong.  Hopefully, you are just on the slow track.
I wish you the very best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat