+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Drop foot  (Read 1100 times)

Coby Taylor

Drop foot
« on: May 23, 2019, 08:13:53 AM »
Hey Hippies ,

So I’m 2 weeks post op, had right hip resurfacing done by Bill Walter jr , CoC, hip feels fine , had left done 2017 MOM, fine too . So came out of surgery with foot drop on my right , surgeon went back in sciatic nerve intact everything seems fine, but it’s not , for no feeling from behind outside of right knee down to ankle/foot no movement of foot or toes. Can feel inside of calf , top of foot . So have spinal block for surgery and done some research, that sometimes bulging disc / hernia can push on nerve roof causing this . Not comomon but 1% of pregnant women who have epidural get drop foot too. So even less chance in hip surgery, about .5% . Just seeing if there are any surgeons or patients who have been through this . Surgeon says give it time , but I’m 39 years old , work for myself in construction, so I need to be back at work in 6 months , the time prescribed for total rehabilitation for hip resurfacing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone think that seeing a spinal surgeon would benefit? . Most answers on this site don’t conclude , just people acknowledging the problem. Ie time frame , percentage of movement feeling. Thanks

Coby Taylor

jimbone

Re: Drop foot
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
Coby

After consulting with your doctor/surgeon and with their approval I would be considering a variety of alternative physical practitioners including PT, deep tissue massage, accupressure, accupuncture, yoga, tens machine and chiropractic.  I have a strong and abiding confidence in the science of medicine and a strong aversion to voodoo therapies and Ihave found over the years dealing with some back issues that at various times I have found relief from one or more of the alternatives I mentioned above.
Also, I think there is the chance for nerve testing that might be able to locate the source of the pinch on the sciatic nerve.  I mentioned in your other post there is a condition called periformis syndrome where the sciatic nerve passes through the periformis muscle instead of next to it as is the usual case in most peoples anatomy.  This might be worth discussing with your surgeon as well.
Have you been prescribed any medications for this?  Sometimes pharmaceutical relief is what we need to depend on until the body can heal.  Hope this gets better for you.

Coby Taylor

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »
Hey Jim,

Yeah , I have been prescribed lyrica if that’s how you write it’s a nerve drug . And just Endone . I’ll ask my surgeon about the piriformis muscle . But if so what can be done there to alleviate the nerve ? Do you know ? . Thanks for your help . I’ll keep posting so others can see the outcome , either way . Such a shame this has happened as the hip itself feels really good , better than the one I had done 2 years ago . And I know Dr Walter is very disappointed for this to have occurred. Thanks for you help .

Coby

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »
 Coby

My understanding is that they can do a surgical procedure to deal with it but I really am not informed.  Prior to my surgery I had a lot of pain and restriction in the periformis and asked my surgeon about this- asked for an MRI to evaluate thinking if we knew I had the condition it might alter his techniques.  Either my understanding was too limited [most likely] or I was overthinking it [also likely] but either way it wasn't going to happen and in the end didn't matter.  That said I am still dealing with considerable ROM issues and strength issues in my rotators including the periformis.  It is stretching out after 8/10 months respectively and I think it will continue to do so.  With you it might just very likely be trauma to the nerve when they either relieved the periformis during surgery or retracted it to a point where is overdid it.  As disconcerting as things are I would strongly advise you not to give up on the premise that you might very well be able to just work this thing back into shape and function.  Relearnng neural pathways and getting the muscles to respond to the signals they are being sent has been a big challenge since surgery and continues to be but I also am seeing progress weekly.  You are still very early past this latest surgery- yes?  If so I would encourage you to persevere in trying to "reconnect" with the nerve/foot.  Nothing mystical about it just a lot of hard work and concentration.  Even small progress is progress in these matters to my thinking and I found paying attention to the small improvements led me to discern bigger progressions.  I was often reminded of people who had experienced strokes and had to re-learn the use of their body in one way or the other.  BTW- does icing the buttock or leg along the sciatic nerve path help reduce inflammation at all?  What about anti inflammatories?  My inclination would be to be as aggressive as I could be as early as I could be to try to establish a reconnection- within reason of course- don't harm anything but push back against this.  And I would be pursuing those physical medicine practitioners I mentioned earlier.  You already know, sometimes we have to fight harder t get back than what we had expected.  Don't let this get you down.

jimbone

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:14:35 AM »
Colby-

Also want to let you know, I am in the construction industry as well- self employed steel/metal fabrication.  At 6 months I was ready to get back at it- if only on a reduced tempo/schedule/ intensity but once undertaken, things began to fall back into place.  Take your time but push on as tolerated/ back off as required.  The body wants to heal and is quite an amazing organism.  Keep us informed of you progress.

Coby Taylor

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your help . I get nerve comductivity test done this Monday which is lest then 2 weeks post op , but surgeon wants answers as quick as me . I’ll keep pushing , I have too.

I’ll get back to this post if I start making any progress and any others who are out there who are also suffering from drop foot feel free to get in touch to let me know how they returned from this issue

Thanks
Coby

jimbone

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:02:18 PM »
Coby

Glad to hear your surgeon is on board with the nerve testing.  My layman perspective is toward earliest intervention and if nothing is determined then repeat as required if symptoms continue.  That your doctor is supportive helps the process but keep in mind to be a strong advocate for yourself if you find anyone backing away from finding answers and offering platitudes instead of medical treatment.  It doesn't sound like you are in the US- Monday being a holiday.  UK?  Hope whatever insurance system you work with has your back.  Best of luck getting this straightened out and back on your feet.  And one last thought- as you know nerves can take a long time to heal.  Beyond patience and maintaining a positive outlook to prevent depression, there seems to be strong anecdotal evidence that visualization can aid and promote healing.  I don't subscribe to mystical solutions and I don;t have the back round to explain the potential benefit, but it could just be the practice of focusing on the problem, quiet awareness of the area that is not working correctly or causing discomfort along with self massage and inducing the intention of movement toward the stubborn foot helps with the healing process.  Again, good luck and get well soon.

karlos.bell

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 10:44:54 AM »
Hi Coby.
Not cool to hear that.
Anterior approach or Posterior approach?
I hope it will get better.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Coby Taylor

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »
Hey Karlos ,

It was posterior. I’m 3 weeks post op now and can slightly flex my calf and Achilles’ tendon . Also move my toes down ward about 2/3mm not much but there moving . Trying to stay positive.

Thanks

Coby

walsermaika

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Hi Coby, I woke up after resurfacing surgery and had the same problem. I was an avid skier and horseback rider and had hoped to be able to live my life without the hip pain. That was 13 years ago, my sciatic nerve was overextended (I was told) during surgery. The insury to the nerve caused drop foot and nerve pain.
I was devastated. Gabapentin helped with the pain, but the foot only recovered slightly. The last thirteen years have been difficult. I can not do any more sports, just walk (with a funny gait) and ride a bicycle with difficulty. My paralyzed foot also is not stable and the arch collapses which by now has malformed the ankle and I will probably have to battle arthritis down the road. I have broken my wrist and gashed my head from falls attributed to the foot drop.
The worst part is that my surgeon did not seem to care and left me hanging out there. Never once did he follow up or check on me. It has been costly too.
So I hope you will recover soon and have a better outcome. All the best to you.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
I am very sorry to hear about your drop foot. I am also surprised  that your surgeon did not even care to do any follow up work.
If you ever have further hip problems, the top hip resurfacing surgeons will do free email consultations with you so you can get a couple other opinions. In fact there are a few that will actually call you.

https://surfacehippy.info/hip-resurfacing-doctors/
I don't know who your surgeon was, but you should have had check ups. I don't know of any hip resurfacing surgeons that don't do follow ups including x-rays and metal ion testing.

I makes me very sad to read your story.  I am not a doctor and can't give you any medical advice, but my heart goes out to you. 

I wish you the best and also Thank You for posting your experience.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Coby Taylor

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »
Hey thanks for your response. That surgeon sounds like a complete doosh bag . I’m 9 weeks from the injury. My tibial nerve responded to nerve test . But no peroneal nerve response yet . At 2 weeks I had nothing when the test where done . I’m holding on , hoping for recovery. I can move my foot down and toes , not real strong just a little . My calf muscles are real tight and it hurts to walk down steps , fine going up plus my hamstring real tight and weak . I struggle to curl my leg up when I’m laying on my stomach. This happened to one of my surgeons other patients. I have contacted here and she said it took her 2 years for recovery. She also said she had no movement until at least 3 months after the surgery. It really sucks , this injury nerve pain is way more debilitating than the osteo arthritis I had . At least I could move around chase after my 3 year old daughter now I’m just basically disabled . The surgeons never really explain this injury to you either . All care taken with no responsibility hey . Any way I hope your life improves as with mine
Thanks
Coby

Coby Taylor

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Hey Guys ,
So I’ve had some mixed post about recovery for this injury . Some good outcomes and some really bad which are scary and really disappointed. I’m 10 weeks since the injury and my progress seems to have slowed , it’s hard to feel progress when it’s said to be 1mm a day . I do feel like I can balance better on my drop foot . Still no dorsiflexion or lifting toes , only downward and still very weak . I try and concentrate so hard to lift my big toe but nothing and become so mentally frustrated. Also have noticed that when I lay on my belly I can lift my drop foot leg up easier than a few weeks ago . It was really hard and I would have really squeeze my hips to make it lift up but it’s definitely easier now , which would be my hamstrings getting stronger. The main debilitating thing at the moment is my calf muscles are so tight . My drop foot calf muscle is measuring 2 cm more than my left and to step down steps is really hard as the muscles are contracted and don’t relax . I try stretching and they do relax a little but when I wake in the morning I can barely hobble around . I have to have a hot shower and try stretching for about an hour till it relieves a little . I’ve been doing accupuncture 2/3 times a week , and physio therapy the day between . Going to see a lady who does Bowen therapy and scenar treatment , not sure  what it’s about but she has dealt with foot drop with reasonable results apparently. Another thing is I’m spending around $300 aus dollars a week on treatment which I believe should be at the surgeons cost as he did this to me . And also unsure whether all this stuff is really helping or is it just time that will heal it . I get so angry and frustrated that this has happened, and so unlucky. I just wanted surgery to get an active life back and now more debilitated than ever . I know it’s important to stay positive, but somedays are real hard . I will keep updating my recovery for any others out there who have had this terrible injury. Thanks Coby Taylor
Right COM , Left MOM by A/Prof Bill Walter 2019. Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal