+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quad pain 10 weeks out  (Read 1062 times)

ECR

Quad pain 10 weeks out
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
10 weeks out of HR with Dr Gross. I am a very athletic person. Prior workouts were weight lifting, lunges, squats etc. Can someone tell me why the quad feels like a knife is stabbing me at mid quad on moves as simple as going up a flight of stairs. Also is there anyone on here that had this and how long did it last. I realize we all recover at different rates and that I am very early in the healing process, but this just seems very odd. I have talked to some people that have had no quad pain and I am just not understanding? Help??

jimbone

Re: Quad pain 10 weeks out
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:13:36 PM »
At 10 weeks I was able to climb stairs without using the handrail, but only one step at a time and 2 flights were mildly challenging.  I didn't experience a sharp shooting pain as you describe but I di have a sensation of swelling- although there was no visual indication- it felt like the quads- I am lateral- were "full".  The PT referred to it as hypertonic as in over toned and it did feel like that, plus stretching them out was difficult.  I could not easily sit down on my knees with my butt on my ankles on the floor without strong discomfort in both knees and quads.  I found the following things helped me work through it: foam roller- softer one at home/hard black, dense one at the gym- this took several months.  Continuing to stretch the quads via sitting on my knees/heels and leaning my torso back with hand support on the floor.  Needed to work up to this also took several months.  Daily morning ritual before getting out of bed- ankle pumps/quad isometrics/bridges/external rotators with band/ heel slides/taylors.  I also discovered the elliptical which I credit with increasing ROM and leg strength.  Against PT recommendation I used the leg extension machine doing single leg extensions.
Always hard to determine cause for symptoms- could be stiffness/myofascial  restrictions that a good deep tissue massage would help to fix, could be weakness/loss of strength or a lot of other reasons.  Undoubtedly, it's probably best to not be too alarmed, start by trying a few different exercise approaches, make sure not to push yourself farther than your body feels "safe", tired is OK, vulnerable is not.  If you have a good PT maybe a visit or even a call to your surgeons office.
Thigh pain is very common which is a surprise to most HR patients as we expect the pain more in the posterior.  My difficulties hung on for a good 4 months before beginning to subside.  I feel like I ma making very good forward progress now but even so, noticed a former symptom of "fullness" around the quad attachment at the knee giving me a warning this last week so I am monitoring it and adjusting the exercises I do.
What are you doing for recovery exercise.  Do any of them help relieve pain?  What about quad isometrics?  Do they provide a feeling of relief?

ECR

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »
Thank you for the message and explaining to me what you went through and the length of time that it took. I did shoot off a message to Dr Gross as well. I have had 2 sessions of dry needling on the quad as well as the IT band. I cant say I've noticed much of a difference. Will take your advice and hit the foam rollers for certain!

jimbone

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »
Give it a try, but I found myself feeling somewhat vulnerable and "fragile" at 10 weeks so I approached the foam rollers carefully and started with a soft one.  Another good trick is a tennis ball for sore spots- best to start off when in bed instead of a hard floor until some of the fascia is loosened up.  Can be a real tender especially done on a hard floor, but working up to that gradually it can go a long way for the IT bands.  I would recommend getting clearance from Dr. Gross's office for the foam roller as it does put a good deal of leverage on the leg/hip.

Rn2md

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »
I also had Dr. Gross for unilateral left HR on 3/20/19. The lateral quads was a sticking point for me as well, particularly the first few weeks. They just felt weak and it wouldn’t take much for them to feel as though they were straining. Walking down declined surfaces or stairs was especially tricky.
Just have to give it time and have patience. Walking outside will be the best in the beginning, because it seems to hit all the major muscle groups you’re aiming to strengthen to some extent and you’re less likely to overdo it. As long as you’re reasonable with the distances.

Eventually walking small hill or inclines is a natural progression.
Then light gym machine exercises like cycling and elliptical at 6 weeks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:10:42 PM by Rn2md »

Mouse Potato

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 03:34:48 AM »
Did Rn2md just fall off a cliff?  ;D

Rn2md

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
Lol. Just fixed the end of that last post

Advertisements

Recent Posts