+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled for 11/22/19 with Dr Ball  (Read 1975 times)

Matty S

Scheduled for 11/22/19 with Dr Ball
« on: July 30, 2019, 09:50:26 PM »
After putting this off for several years.....I finally scheduled BHR Hip resurfacing with Dr Scott Ball UCSD.

Still having anxiety about pulling the trigger but I am going for it. I have to tell you after reading all of the encouraging stories on this site combined with info from a few surf buddies that had this procedure I finally feel that it is the best solution to get my surfing life back among other activities. Its a good feeling that it is scheduled and I am going forward with it.

I feel comfortable with Dr Ball.

Wish me luck.....

Matty S

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Scheduled for 11/22/19 with Dr Ball
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
I wish you the very best.  I am looking forward to reading all about your recovery and return to surfing.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Matty S

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
Thanks!

Matty S

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 05:37:51 PM »
6 weeks away..Both excited and nerrvous

Mouse Potato

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »
Matty,

I can only speak for myself. It is hard at first but 6 months out it the best thing I've ever done, life changing.

Russ

Bioguy501

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »
Matty,

I am a patient of Dr. Ball too. (Great doctor by all accounts!) I have been putting off hip surgery for years, but I have to do something now. In my appt with Dr. Ball, he recommended total hip over BHR hip resurfacing. I am 54 years old and plan on being semi-active for several years to come. Did Dr. Ball recommend the BHR to you... or was that your idea? What age are you? Thanks, Bioguy

Matty S

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Hey Bio Guy 501

It was my idea to go with the Birmingham hip device and I was a good candidate for this do to my size. They wont use the Birmingham Hip on small patients. I was researching Docs that actually have experience with the BHR devise and Dr Balls name kept popping up and he is relatively close to my home. I live in San Clemente. I was considering flying to New York City and get Dr Su to do this for me. But after meeting with Dr Ball I decided to go with him. I felt very comfortable and he is very knowledgeable on this device. Plus he has great reviews. Cant find anyone that said anything negative about him.

I am 54 yrs old and was a very active surfer. I lost my ability to surf over he last 2 yeard or so.
I have a few friends that got the BHR that are super stoked on the results. One of buddies is 65 and he got this done four years ago. He states that he feels like he is 30 again ad still surfing. In my opinion it preserves more bone in case you need a revision later and the chances of dis-location is minimum compared to a total hip replacement. Plus it gives you more range of motion.

Dr Ball and I discussed the total hip. I decided to go with the BHR. 6 Weeks away and I cant wait to get this going.

The common denominator that I keep seeing from other guys that got this done is "I should have done this years ago"

I hope  this helps you because I was wrestling with this decision for a few years now and this site helped my come to a conclusion.

Matty

I wish you luck in what ever you decide. It is a very big deal and not and easy trigger to pull but I am committed now.

If I was 70 I would go with the total hip but at 54 I still have a lot miles to put on this body...I hope!!!

Matty S

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »
Mouse Potato

Thanks for your reply. It helps!!

Matty

I am still having anxiety over this but I am going for it.

Mouse Potato

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »
Matty,

I was petrified! I was also last on the list so had to wait, in my gown, for over 6 hours on the day.

What I can say is that recovery isn’t easy and patience is key. But... it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

When my other hip eventually goes, I’ll have no hesitation in getting it sorted. I waited 3-4  years too long for the first one.

Russ

Matty S

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »
Thanks Russ!

I know I need to take really slow. Its going to be tough!

I will report back Post Op.

Matty

catfriend

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
Even while I was on the table in the OR I was so terrified I considered bolting. However, I knew that I needed the surgery, and that if I left I would just have to come back another time. I stayed, my right hip was resurfaced, and after recovery and to this day my right hip feels like a completely normal, natural hip that was never diseased. The anxiety is tough, but the outcome is worth it.

Matty S

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement ... Mucho Appreciated!!!

jimbone

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 12:02:11 AM »
Matty-
The evening  of the first of my two hip resurfacings was a beautiful July where the sun simply refuses to set on the city streets or the few restaurants still open.  I'd checked in to the hospital hotel wing earlier and finished my Last Will and Testament in the 2 bed/1 shower room, you know, just in case my last memory was being put under, then I went for a walk to find one good last dinner.  Choices were few but I gladly accepted a grilled cheese sandwich, a decent beer and some kind of interesting salad.  Ate half of it and headed back to the hospital room with surgery scheduled for 9:30 the next morning.  Did all that was requested of me pre-surgical and at the appointed time was wheeled in to the Bone Yard for "The Procedure".  Here is what you will find in that room: A team of Incomprehensibly skilled professionals for whom your well being is their only concern, a sense of being cared for you have not experienced since infancy, and if your walk the evening before touched base with all the lingering questions you hadn't been quite prepared to ask until then a release from the anxiety or trepidation you might still be holding on to.  The people that accept the kind of stress and responsibility related to surgical intervention in others lives do so on such a higher order of conscientiousness than most mortals you will be wondering for a year how you could possibly have thanked them enough for their assistance.
Worry is understandable but acceptance is a key element to adjustments great and small.  This operation, in the hands of surgeons as experienced as yours, is a 21st Century benevolence.  Best of Luck.

Matty S

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Wow..Great write up! Thanks.....

Did you use Dr Ball?

Matty

jimbone

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »
Matty

No, Dr. Pritchett did both my surgeries but I actually made the decision for surgery after reading a response from one of Dr. Balls patients when I was still dealing with the pre surgical anxiety.  Your guy is very well respected and recognized as one of the best.  Best wishes.

stevel

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
For the left hip resurfacing done 11 years ago, I went to a presurgery prep room and an elderly lady was to receive her 2nd knee replacement.  She was so at ease and smiling that it relieved my anxiety.  The surgical area was shaved and cleansed by an attendant and Dr Su visited and initialled the left side with a marker.  I expect the same for the right side in a couple weeks.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Matty S

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
Matty

No, Dr. Pritchett did both my surgeries but I actually made the decision for surgery after reading a response from one of Dr. Balls patients when I was still dealing with the pre surgical anxiety.  Your guy is very well respected and recognized as one of the best.  Best wishes.
Did you get the Synovo device with the Highly Cross Link Poly insert? I asked Dr Ball if he uses this device vs the Birmingham MOM device. This wold eliminate any metal ion issues. Have not received an answer yet.

catfriend

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
I have the Synovo device from Dr. Pritchett.

Matty S

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
I have the Synovo device from Dr. Pritchett.
How is it? Does any other docs use this device …. or only Dr Pritchett? Seems like you can eliminate the metal ion issue with this. Although highly skilled docs can place the acetabular socket with precision with the BHR seems be free of excess metal debris in most people.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:30:21 PM by Matty S »

Matty S

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
Matty,

I can only speak for myself. It is hard at first but 6 months out it the best thing I've ever done, life changing.

Russ
Russ
Did you have Dr Ball as your doc? What type of device did you get?? Birmingham Hip?
Thanks
Matty

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM