+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled for 11/22/19 with Dr Ball  (Read 1974 times)

Matty S

Re: Scheduled for 11/22/19 with Dr Ball
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »
For the left hip resurfacing done 11 years ago, I went to a presurgery prep room and an elderly lady was to receive her 2nd knee replacement.  She was so at ease and smiling that it relieved my anxiety.  The surgical area was shaved and cleansed by an attendant and Dr Su visited and initialled the left side with a marker.  I expect the same for the right side in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the input. I hear Dr Su is great. Both of my surf buddies had Dr Su do thiers.

jimbone

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »
Matty,

Like everyone else I fretted and did google searches trying to decide on the best device.  I was aware of the Synovo Dr. Pritchett uses and helped develop and also that he had a long track record with the Birmingham.  I am quite certain he had some training with McMinn but know for sure they are colleagues with mutual respect and have collaborated together.  In my final consultation discussing which device to use I told him I'd leave the decision up to him.  After all, what do I or most any lay person really know about these prosthesis beyond some shallow internet reading.  That level of understanding doesn't scratch the surface of the depths of knowledge these orthopedic surgeon have at their finger tips.  They are the experts and it's their opinions I rely on.  i liked the long history of the Birmingham but also considered the Synovo a very clever design with a poly liner that could be replaced if ever necessary.  I ended up with the Synovo.  It' been just over a year, actually 15 and 12 months respectively for each hip.  My recovery went smoothly on the 1st and after a rough 48 hours on the second things evened out and progress steadily although a few weeks slower on the 2nd with some lingering symptoms that needed sme extra months of work/healing.  I was very fortunate that I'd anticipated and prepared for a longer recovery and didn't think I would be doing much of anything else but recovering and getting strong again for at least 6 months.  Once cleared for the gym, it was a daily routine for me and along with some excellent PT the results didn't falter or disappoint.  I am completely satisfied and most of the time still overjoyed with the results.  As mentioned yesterday in a different thread, some higher level use overt the past week seems to have strained me bit and gave me some pause worrying I'd damaged myself but today was mostly easy duty and with some rest and focused exercise it will be back right in a day or two.  I don't know if anyone other than Dr. Pritchett is using this device but you might try his office to find out.  The Birmingham does have a long track record of success and if you're interested Dr.Pritchett published a paper on metallosis and the Birmingham you can find through his website or possibly archived here.

catfriend

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »
I have the Synovo device from Dr. Pritchett.
How is it? Does any other docs use this device …. or only Dr Pritchett? Seems like you can eliminate the metal ion issue with this. Although highly skilled docs can place the acetabular socket with precision with the BHR seems be free of excess metal debris in most people.
Since recovery it feels like a completely normal and natural hip that was never diseased.

I'm a woman, and the BHR for smaller sizes had already been withdrawn by the time of my surgery (although it turns out my size hadn't been withdrawn). For me, this was the best device. Since there is no metal (the titanium is ceramicized) there is no MoM and no metal ion issues.

Like jimbone says surgeons have a much deeper knowledge of the devices than we do. I am very satisfied with my results.

Matty S

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 08:20:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and input. SOOOO helpful!!

Mouse Potato

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 07:20:27 AM »
Russ
Did you have Dr Ball as your doc? What type of device did you get?? Birmingham Hip?
Thanks
Matty

Hi Matty,

No Ronan Treacy did mine and yes I had the Birmingham Hip.  When I asked him the MOM question he basically said it wasn't even a consideration.  Apparently the bigger the implant the better and I had the 2nd largest available which was in my favour.

He quoted his joint survival at 20 years at 98% with half of the failures being in the first 6 weeks. So, no promises but 99% now at 20 years sounds good to me.

Russ

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:25:14 AM by Mouse Potato »

Matty S

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 06:09:32 PM »
Thanks!

Matty S

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
2.5 weeks out …..

jimbone

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 09:37:29 PM »
Life is going to be so much better.  Best of luck.

Matty S

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »
I sure hope so man!! Thanks You!!

Matty S

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
OK …….…… I am now three days post OP and doing very well. Went in Friday at 7:30 am at UCSD with Dr Ball and his team.
Everything went smoothly and I spent one night in the hospital. PT tried getting up me on my feet  about 15 minutes after I woke up but the epidural had not warn off yet and I was a little wobbly. They set me up in my room and I was able to walk with a walker around the Nursing Station just 3 hour after the procedure with little pain. Walked again that evening with great success.
They ae not kidding on the pain meds stopping your natural digestive functions...Passed a couple of boulders and doing much better day three ;}

Over all it is easier than I expected so far. I can tell you that the new Birimingham Hip Bearing is smooth as silk compared to what was going on in there pre-op. I obviously don't have full range of motion yet but I can tell that it is smooooth.

I am really stoked I did this!! Cant tell you how much all of the info on this forum helped me make a great decision. I want to pay it forward to anyone searching for info as I was.

I walked up my street and back today on crutches and feeling stronger every day.

I will keep posting my progress .. Cant wait to get back in the water and surf again.
Matty

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:52:24 PM by Matty S »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM