+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Groin pain and locked muscles  (Read 2173 times)

RobT65

Groin pain and locked muscles
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:48:41 AM »
I've just moved this post as I think I put it in the wrong bit of the forum!

Just wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences. Had a hip resurfacing 22nd May (Oswestry, UK). Been feeling great, off crutches after 2 and 1/2 weeks and walking almost normally. 7 weeks post-op got out of bed to find I couldn't weight bear on the leg. Rushed over to Oswestry, x-rays all look normal and no definitive explanation as to what's wrong.
Been to Chiropractor and Physiotherapist, neither have provided anything conclusive. Pain still continuing today (10 weeks post-op).
The pain was originally in my groin, then spread to quads, buttocks, incision site. Leg frequently cramps (muscles in quad and buttocks locks tight). The strangest thing is the pain is partly relieved by going for a "number 2"!
I've been back on Tramadol and paracetamol for the last week, but it's knocking the pain down only slightly (from 8/10 to 5/10 at best).
I'm worried it's a clot or infection but not sure if this would continue to present problems with affecting anything else for this long.
If anyone has any similar experiences, I'd be really pleased to hear about them and outcomes.
Cheers!
Post-script: Been to GP today who's taken bloods to check for infection, ruled out clot. Phew!

jimbone

Re: Groin pain and locked muscles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »
Rob-
That's disappointing to go backwards with recovering, must be frustrating.  Good news hearing infection is ruled out.  Has your surgeon taken any more imaging to rule out fracture?  I think I would want to have that looked at immediately and I'd be insistent.  Hopefully it's not the case but better to know so it can be dealt with than let it worsen.  If fracture is ruled out my question to you would be how often and what kind of post surgical exercise are you maintaining?  It's very important to perform the PT exercises shown in hospital several times a day especially in the early weeks to help the muscle, tissue and nerve trauma heal and strengthen.  Oddly your mention of relief after #2 indicates that possibly engaging your core muscles helps relieve pain.  Even now after almost a year from surgery I find myself feeling better and relieved from a single nagging [though minor] condition after a workout, so I know how beneficial exercise is to healing.  I'd start with the x rays first and get some answers there to begin with.  Best of luck.

RobT65

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
Jimbone, thank you for your reply and your helpful comments. It was actually just the clot that was ruled out as of yesterday; had bloods back today and I have a slightly raised CRP level, which I'm told might indicate infection. I'm due to see the consultant tomorrow, so I will insist on another x-ray to check for any sign of femoral neck fracture.
Unfortunately, I was discharged with absolutely zero advice regarding PT exercises and physio, so I've no idea what to do in terms of strengthening and stretching. Again, I'll be raising this issue tomorrow.

I'd not really considered that the "straining" might be engaging core muscles, so that's worth further thought.

Thanks again!

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:08:20 AM »
Will echo you definitely need to have an xray. If nothing else to give you peace of mind.

Post op physio, strength and conditioning etc.... in my opinion is a life long commitment. My surgeon actually advised not to see a physio and his team only recommended very basic leg swing type exercises suitable for no more than the initial 6 weeks. You will need more than that long term, especially if you are an active sportsman of any kind. I am also UK based and tried to find Physio specific to Hip Resurfacing surgery, it doesn't exist. Just concentrate on the basics.... regular stretching to increase flexibility and range of movement and S&C. Once a month visits to the physio is a good idea too for a general sports massage.

RobT65

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »
Unfortunately, this is Rob’s wife posting as Rob is in hospital for pain relief prior to revision op on Monday. He has a fracture in the femoral head and a cut out of the neck. Basically the cap on the femoral head has moved 45 degrees. He is now down for THR on Monday. Nothing was showing on the x-ray 3 weeks ago and he hasn’t suffered any falls or knocks, so it was a total shock. Rob is understandably gutted and nervous about the revision surgery.
Fingers crossed he’ll get on well with the replacement. He’s only 53 so really wanted to have the resurfacing for a good few years. Life had other plans 😊.

Saddlepal3

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Sorry to hear this, but sending all good wishes for a successful revision surgery! For what it’s worth, I have an HR in one hip and a THR in the other. They are both functioning beautifully. Good luck
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:48:22 PM by Saddlepal3 »

RobT65

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:58:05 AM »
Saddlepal3 that’s so encouraging! Thank you. I’ll pass that onto Rob this morning - it will ease his mind as he goes down for surgery.

petemeads

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:18:11 AM »
Me too - one of each, both working well. THR is not the end of the world...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
I am so sorry to hear he has problems and requires a revision. It is strange that the cap has moved so much. I do hope his revision surgery goes well and he will finally get relief from his pain.

I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you and him the very best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

evant

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
That's a cruel development after such a promising healthy recovery early on.

THR's are ok - my friend chose to have one instead of resurfacing. He was 48 and he returned quickly to playing with his children and continues to cycle good long distances - and he's happy.

Best wishes for a good recovery.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

RobT65

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 03:29:51 AM »
Just wanted to say “thanks” for your replies. It really does help to hear other people’s experience. Really grateful, thank you. Kerry x

catfriend

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »
Wow. What a bummer. Nobody ever expects to be the one with the unfortunate fracture, but they do happen. Yes, it's unfortunate that resurfacing didn't work out for you, but a THR is a known surgery, and one with excellent success rates. The devices today last much longer than devices of yesteryear. At least you'll be on your feet and active again soon. Good luck.

mdmdale

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
I've just moved this post as I think I put it in the wrong bit of the forum!

Just wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences. Had a hip resurfacing 22nd May (Oswestry, UK). Been feeling great, off crutches after 2 and 1/2 weeks and walking almost normally. 7 weeks post-op got out of bed to find I couldn't weight bear on the leg. Rushed over to Oswestry, x-rays all look normal and no definitive explanation as to what's wrong.
Been to Chiropractor and Physiotherapist, neither have provided anything conclusive. Pain still continuing today (10 weeks post-op).
The pain was originally in my groin, then spread to quads, buttocks, incision site. Leg frequently cramps (muscles in quad and buttocks locks tight). The strangest thing is the pain is partly relieved by going for a "number 2"!
I've been back on Tramadol and paracetamol for the last week, but it's knocking the pain down only slightly (from 8/10 to 5/10 at best).
I'm worried it's a clot or infection but not sure if this would continue to present problems with affecting anything else for this long.
If anyone has any similar experiences, I'd be really pleased to hear about them and outcomes.
Cheers!
Post-script: Been to GP today who's taken bloods to check for infection, ruled out clot. Phew!

mdmdale

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
I haven't figured out how to navigate this site very well but I think my issue is similar.  I had a THR in October 2014.  From the beginning, I expected to be walking with a minimum of pain but I had a stabbing pain in my groin up into my psoas.  I walked in with no devises but I knew I was pushing beyond my ability.  There were complications.  I lost more blood than I should have.  The cup was one cm bigger than I expected (which I just found out because I got the report recently).  I knew I had a screw in my pelvis and a wire around my femur but as I had excessive follow ups due to pain.  I was told that everything looked excellent and there was no reason I should have had that much pain.  I am presenting with a (long overdue) diagnosis of a mitochondrial illness.  It has taken two years to get to this and I'm wondering if anybody here has metalosis from the screw or wire.  I'm requesting a test for cobalt and chromium because those were not tested for.  I have decline in kidney, liver, thyroid, pancreas, nodes on my thyroid, polyneuropathy, severe nerve damage in the dermis, epidermis, and epithelial layers of my skin and even in sweat glands,  high levels of things, low levels of things, BUT NOT ENOUGH TO TREAT.  Finally, a muscle biopsy found a mitochondrial problem because I want to know the root cause of why I'm not thriving better.  Please...anybody else digging when the doctors want to just wait for problems to worsen to something that needs treatment?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear