+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Glute, Hamstring, Back Pain BEFORE surgery.. !  (Read 1383 times)

Frazer law

Glute, Hamstring, Back Pain BEFORE surgery.. !
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone else had really bad referred pain before they had surgery... ???
I've got terrible problems with my upper glutes, lower back and pain going down my hamstrings. My posture is probably not great at the moment and perhaps contributing. I've always been very, very active in sports until recently, thinking the sedentary lifestyle is not agreeing with me. ? I'm trying to keep going best I can, I just hurt..  :-\

Anyways, just wondered if this is a common thing and part of having hip Osteoarthritis or if I'm just falling to bits.?
I'm due for surgery in October with Mr McMinn, I'm desperate to get my life back but worried I'm going to be struggling with all these other aches and pains.

Any words of wisdom.. ????

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Glute, Hamstring, Back Pain BEFORE surgery.. !
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
Hi Frazer law
Sorry to hear you are having hip problems along with other problems.  When you hip is bad, the rest of your body tries to compensate and is out of balance.  It is good to hear you have an upcoming hip resurfacing surgery with Mr. McMinn. He certainly is one of the best in the world - now you finally are able to get surgery.

October is not far away. Most people really hurt before surgery. Hopefully, you will have a good recovery and be back to a more active life without pain. Take it easy after your surgery. It takes time to heal and it takes time for your body to try to get back to a normal state after surgery, especially if you are having many problems now.
I wish you the best.  Look forward to reading about your hip resurfacing with Mr. McMinn.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

catfriend

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
Oh, yes, this is very common. When my right hip deteriorated I experienced muscle pain anyplace from my glutes down to my ankles. There were good days and bad days, and it wasn't the same every day, but the muscle spasms could even be worse than the actual joint pain.

My left hip is deteriorating now, and much more slowly than the right hip, and the pain on this side is both similar and different.  The pain in the joint itself is currently under control with Celebrex, but the lateral muscles have days when they spasm out of control. It's different than with the right hip, but I know that the arthritic hip is behind it. As Pat mentioned, your body is trying to compensate for the bad joint.

This also affects your recovery. It takes your body, muscles included, a bit of time to get back in balance once the joint is fixed. Everybody is a little bit the same and a little bit different here, even different between sides, but what you're experiencing is normal and common.

Frazer law

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Hey.. Thanks for the replys.. Catfriend, there are days my Glutes and hamstrings are worse than the hip. Glad to hear this is fairly common. I do think not being able to train at the moment is a big part of it getting tighter by the day cant stretch my right hip or surrounding areas at all now. And as you say Pat October isn't too far off..  Anyways thanks again appreciate the support. x

coloradopatrick

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 07:25:50 PM »
Frazer, you may benefit from some good deep tissue work with a ball.  Have a look at youtube videos from Upright Health or "FAI Fix" and search for glutes/hamstrings.  They have some good suggestions about how to loosen up the muscles around your hip.  Of course they are very anti surgery in an ignorant way, but their exercises are good for the hip area.

ahausheer

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 01:28:09 AM »
For whats its worth I had what seemed like isolated low back pain for many years pre surgery.  An MRI even showed a minor bulge and an inexperienced pain doctor told me that was the cause of my pain and it would only ''progress''.  I thought I was screwed.

Turns out the pain was due to my bad hips and the bulge was incidental and not causing the pain.  After surgery my low back pain is gone and the minor bulge is still there, completely asymptomatic. I learned later that most adults will have a minor bulge or other MRI finding somewhere, and it usually will remain asymptomatic, it's literally part of the normal aging process.

I also had shallow medial knee pain that slowly resolved after surgery.

The hips are interconnected to the lower back and knee and can directly or indirectly (via referred pain) cause pain in far away places and it seems lots of ortho and pain management docs don't understand this.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
As the others said, it absolutely could be that the pain comes from your poor body trying to give you the best situation when you are structurally compromised.

I had severe tightness all over, with pain in my back, my legs, sciatica, my shoulders... the list goes on. I also thought I had knee problems.

The only thing I never thought of during my downward spiral was my hips. Neither did my GP.

I had all sorts of tests, including the innocuously named electromyography, as prescribed by my GP, which tried to figure out why my muscles were so compromised.

That was three hours of torture, as  I was punctured by sets of two needles which were then fed an electrical charge to allow measurements. That was repeated many times for all muscles / muscle groups.

They found nothing, which put us back on page one.

I tried all sorts of strategies to deal with my treacherous body, at least three cycles of PT for muscle spasms of three to four months each.

My General Practicioner was nonplussed. Did not know what was wrong.

My last attempt to do this on my own was to take a three month gym boot camp to force my body to buck up. Did not work.

Finally went to see about the hips (this is about seven years into it) and found out the arthritic truth.

Once the surgeries were done (both hips) and the proper recuperation time elapsed (in my case, a full year), I had none of those previous pains and issues. No knee problems, back, etc.

I was blasted by a podiatrist to get better shoes, but I deserved that.

I think you'll find that most issues will go away, and any that remain will be real, honest issues which you can address.

Good luck - best decision I ever made.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

rag33

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 03:05:33 AM »
Yes to everything! Lower back, sciatic on one leg and going down the side on the other. After surgery, all that pain magically disappeared ! My lower back just kept "popping" out of place, even after PT and no running, until my doctor finally said there's something else going on here which is when we looked at my hip...
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat