+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Right hip BHR, Dr Raterman, 16 Aug 19, Tampa, FL USA  (Read 832 times)

Hambone

Right hip BHR, Dr Raterman, 16 Aug 19, Tampa, FL USA
« on: September 08, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
Hello all,
      First of all, thanks to everyone who's posted their stories and experiences.  Your insights really helped me decide and prepare for a right hip BHR as well as be mentally prepared for the swelling, bruising, and other assorted after-effects. 
      Hip issues came on quite quickly and were starting to affect quality of life.  Tennis just wasn't "do-able" and I was able to hike the Grand Canyon with my wife for our anniversary only due to an excellent cortisone cocktail right before the trip. Thankfully I was a good candidate (large-framed fairly active 61-year old male).
      Dr Steven Raterman out of Tampa Fl performed the procedure on 16 Aug 19.  Results have been far better than anything I could have expected.  Pain and discomfort has been quite manageable and now, three weeks out, the hip already feels much better than it did before surgery.  I've already been cleared for light workouts (walking and elliptical machine time) and am looking forward to my 6-mos point to get back on the courts. 
      Hopefully I can give something back to this group from my BHR experience. Please let me know you have any questions or want any additional information.

g

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Right hip BHR, Dr Raterman, 16 Aug 19, Tampa, FL USA
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
Welcome to Hip Talk and Congratulations on the new hip.
Glad all is going well for you.  Thank You for sharing your story. As you know, the personal stories are so helpful to perspective patients.
I wish you the very best.  Try not to be too aggressive in the beginning, the body has it's own timeline for healing and the can't rush it.  A little patience early on can save you from any setbacks.
I look forward to reading your posts as you heal and get active.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Hambone

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
Thanks Pat, appreciate the advice and encouragement. Will be scanning the entries to find out what to expect about returning energy levels. Does it take a while to get the previous levels back?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
It definitely takes time to heal and get back to a normal. Hip resurfacing is major surgery and the body has a lot to do to get back to normal. Most people start feeling better at 6 weeks and many feel almost normal by 6 months. We are all different.  Just go with the flow and hope you are a fast healer, if not, patience is your friend.
Good luck.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat