+-

Author Topic: Accepted into the 2020 Boston Marathon  (Read 206 times)

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
Accepted into the 2020 Boston Marathon
« on: September 18, 2019, 05:36:52 AM »
A return to Distance running, I think this is the happiest day of my life...., today I received my confirmation letter from the BAA (Boston Athletic Association) that I was accepted to run in the 2020 Boston Marathon next April. It took me 2 years of hard training, dieting Post BHR to achieve the fitness level required to run a qualifying time. 
I started running again at 6 weeks post surgery. At first, short distances, then 5k's and then 10K's then 1/2 M it was a year before I attempted a full marathon distance. I took me 3 more marathon tries to get fast enough to run under the qualifying time. The BAA makes no allowances for joint replacements. So I had to run the standard qualifying time as all the regular athletes. Training was a long road and a hard fought battle, losing weight,  so many cold dark nights running in the rain to get the necessary miles in. but after two years of hard work, I finally made it! PS. My Surgeon will be given my 2020 Boston Medal at my next check up. He is the real hero in this story, he never doubted my ability to return to distance running,  which I love so much and is who I am. Now all I have to do is celebrate by running in the marathon on April 20th and grab that medal and a picture at the end. 

Ernie

Re: Accepted into the 2020 Boston Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 11:31:34 PM »
Wow, congratulations. What an achievement.  And you may have just inspired me to increase my running mileage.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

coloradopatrick

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »
Wow!  Congrats!  Very inspirational.

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
Thank you for help answering the question I posed in my most recent post. I am also a long distance runner and due to have resurfacing on the 9th of October 2019. I was concerned that perhaps I could not return to running 50/60 miles per week and racing monthly. Thank you and best of luck in your training for the Marathon!

Regards Jim

runner

• BHR 8-22-2017
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 05:40:45 AM »
Gee that's today ...hope all went well and you'll be able to return to running soon

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats