+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: serious runner going to document progress post resurfacing Scotland  (Read 712 times)

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
I have been a long distance runner for almost 3 Decades. I took up the discipline seriously when I was in my early 30s. I peaked at the age of 47, PB Half Marathons in 1.15 (75 mins at the age of 47). I continued to train, race in half and full Marathons until right hip pain in 2017 restricted my performance however, I continued to train and race. I average 50 to 60 mile per week and race at least once a month. I can manage a sub 1.39 1/2 Marathon but not for much longer due to the severe arthritic right hip. I managed to, eventually, be accepted for a resurfacing (after having refused twice the offer of total hip) on the NHS in Scotland. I am really pleased that the NHS Scotland has offered me this chance to continue running upon recovery as it really is my passion.
There is a lack of hard, scientific factual evidence regarding the return to serious running post resurfacing! I intend to use my case as one example of evidence in relation to such. I am an Honours Graduate in Biomedical Sciences (1987 Edinburgh) so I do have an analytical approach to data and phenomena! Tomorrow I will compete in my final 1/2 Marathon with my natural hips! I will keep the Surface Hippy site updated regarding my subsequent progress/or lack of in the hope of informing long distance runners.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: serious runner going to document progress post resurfacing Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
Hi Jim
I am always happy to post stories on the main website. I try to watch them here and put some of them on the main website.  I would be happy to post your updates and photos after your hip resurfacing.
https://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-stories/athletes-hip-resurfacing-stories/ironman-triathlon-marathon-and-running/
I wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

autoazure

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Dear Pat, Thank you very much for your exceedingly rapid reply to my post! All the best to you as well and I look forward to contributing the only website and THE place to find about, and to be informed regarding Resurfacing!

Regards Jim Thyne

evant

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
Well done for your persistence, to get the operation you feel is best for your future.

Good luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

autoazure

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
I have just completed the Scottish Half Marathon in a time of 1.42.31. It is a fast course however, I ran carefully and did not hammer the hip. Onwards to the 9th of October!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat