+-

Author Topic: serious runner going to document progress post resurfacing Scotland  (Read 136 times)

autoazure

I have been a long distance runner for almost 3 Decades. I took up the discipline seriously when I was in my early 30s. I peaked at the age of 47, PB Half Marathons in 1.15 (75 mins at the age of 47). I continued to train, race in half and full Marathons until right hip pain in 2017 restricted my performance however, I continued to train and race. I average 50 to 60 mile per week and race at least once a month. I can manage a sub 1.39 1/2 Marathon but not for much longer due to the severe arthritic right hip. I managed to, eventually, be accepted for a resurfacing (after having refused twice the offer of total hip) on the NHS in Scotland. I am really pleased that the NHS Scotland has offered me this chance to continue running upon recovery as it really is my passion.
There is a lack of hard, scientific factual evidence regarding the return to serious running post resurfacing! I intend to use my case as one example of evidence in relation to such. I am an Honours Graduate in Biomedical Sciences (1987 Edinburgh) so I do have an analytical approach to data and phenomena! Tomorrow I will compete in my final 1/2 Marathon with my natural hips! I will keep the Surface Hippy site updated regarding my subsequent progress/or lack of in the hope of informing long distance runners.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
Re: serious runner going to document progress post resurfacing Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »
Hi Jim
I am always happy to post stories on the main website. I try to watch them here and put some of them on the main website.  I would be happy to post your updates and photos after your hip resurfacing.
https://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-stories/athletes-hip-resurfacing-stories/ironman-triathlon-marathon-and-running/
I wish you the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

autoazure

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:33:57 PM »
Dear Pat, Thank you very much for your exceedingly rapid reply to my post! All the best to you as well and I look forward to contributing the only website and THE place to find about, and to be informed regarding Resurfacing!

Regards Jim Thyne

evant

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
Well done for your persistence, to get the operation you feel is best for your future.

Good luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

autoazure

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
I have just completed the Scottish Half Marathon in a time of 1.42.31. It is a fast course however, I ran carefully and did not hammer the hip. Onwards to the 9th of October!

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Psoas Tendonitis improvement by Jerryt
Today at 09:15:37 AM

Re: FDA approved device and experienced hip resurfacing doctor by stevel
November 15, 2019, 05:22:55 PM

Re: Psoas Tendonitis improvement by jimbone
November 15, 2019, 04:45:20 PM

Re: 8 year Anniversary Tomorrow by Pat Walter
November 15, 2019, 03:40:32 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear